Scheduled charging stops early

Just to clarify - and it does indicate that it's the car that's at fault - charging stops early whether it's charging manually (just plug in and go), or via Smart charging with timing controlled by the charger or using the scheduled chargingfrom the car or the app. There's no method of charging using Type 2 that works.

Just had a read through and you mention you have a 7kW charger and a 3 phase cable. Have you tried a different cable? A 7kW charger will work fine with a single phase cable. If your car is a phase2 (rear wash/wipe and has no pins in L2 & L3 on the socket) then a three phase cable is overkill anyway.

I've been thinking the same. As an EV newby the potentially faster cable seemed like the thing to do, but I've never used its 3 phase capability - the possibly capable public chargers I've used have all been tethered. I'd really like to get the set-up I have working though rather than buying another cable in the hope it'll fix the issue.

Good thought - I can post on our local FB page. Thks

I’m in Marlow in Bucks.

And the car doesn’t have rear wash/wipe so I guess it’s not a phase 2?

In which case, if you have contacts in L2 and L3, your car will charge at up to 11kW with a 3 phase cable on an 11kW (or more powerful) charger.

I do - and it should. Worth trying with another cable though. At the moment I;m hoping that the charger tech support can give me diagnostics.

MG4 TROPHY
I have had the same problems and at this moment my car is with the MG dealers having a Software update from MG
I use the Ohme Smart charger through Octapus. All my time Charge settings are disabled in the car.
Initially the car would accept a higher charge percentage than the limit setting and now it will only accept around 20% charge.
Will advise the result when I get my car back tomorrow!

That really helps thank you - and fits with what I've found. Hopefully the tech dept for my charger (BG SyncEV) can help with similar info so I can take the car back to the dealer with a definite diagnosis.

I had a problem when I first got my MG4 and I contacted my charger company and they told me it needs a tricycle charge to stop the car going to sleep. With my charger they charged a setting over the net and I’ve never had a problem with scheduling a charge Hope this helps.

My Trophy will charge like this with scheduling on my PodPoint, and again, I doesn't matter when I plug it in. (However, I don't bother with this, as scheduled charging works fine on the car, provided the app is not used at all.. . )
How does that work.
My PP is restricted to EDF hours 0100-0600hr.
I use the App but have to set it each night.
Being able to just plug in would be better.

Hi all, Thks for the suggestions though they don't seem to fit my situation. It doesn'tt matter when or how I set the charging going - it stops after an hour or so. Anyway - I can report progress of a sort. The charger company looked at their logs and reported that there was an RCD leakage. They recalibrated my charger online but sadly it still stopped. So action is back with them as they said it may need more calibration. So if there's a further fault with the charger set up they should be able to fix it, and if they now report it's the car (i.e it was a combination of errors), I can take it back to the dealer.

I had a problem when I first got my MG4 and I contacted my charger company and they told me it needs a tricycle charge to stop the car going to sleep. With my charger they charged a setting over the net and I’ve never had a problem with scheduling a charge Hope this helps.
This is the closest to my situation - thanks. I suspect the charger was initally set up for a 1 phase cable, not a 3 phase as I have, which makes sense with your mention of a tricycle charge. Doesn't explain how it all worked fine for 4 months though - unless the RCD leakage they reported is a recent thing and the combination of issues was too much for it??

possible stupid question . Is the app asking you to enter your 4 digit code when setting up the schedule and if so does it say "success" at the bottom of the screen when you've entered it ?
I got the “success” message yesterday afternoon but in the evening when I checked the schedule to be sure it would come on at midnight, the schedule slider was off. Is this a bug in the app or does it really expect you to reset it if you use it for something else before charging. Also having to set it up every day would be unacceptable.

I got the “success” message yesterday afternoon but in the evening when I checked the schedule to be sure it would come on at midnight, the schedule slider was off. Is this a bug in the app or does it really expect you to reset it if you use it for something else before charging. Also having to set it up every day would be unacceptable.
If i remember rightly , If you've done a scheduled charge and then want to do an unscheduled one you have to cancel the schedule .

My MG Trophy is still being investigated by MG technical. It will only accepts small amounts of charge at any one time. On average about 10% then it cuts off. Then I have to reprogram the charger to start again. It does appear as the batteries get a greater percentage in then the amounts it will accept get smaller. I am told by the garage that they have completed all the latest Software updates .Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My MG Trophy is still being investigated by MG technical. It will only accepts small amounts of charge at any one time. On average about 10% then it cuts off. Then I have to reprogram the charger to start again. It does appear as the batteries get a greater percentage in then the amounts it will accept get smaller. I am told by the garage that they have completed all the latest Software updates .Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I suspect a faulty module somewhere in the charging system that needs replacing. These problems can take a very long time to sort out with remote help from SAIC China being slow, so if there isn't a quick fix you might want to consider asking for your car to be replaced, so that at least all the debugging isn't affecting you.

Hi, I was about to update this thread - which I started. :) I seem to have a fix though it's a bit soon to say for sure. The problem appears to be the charger, not the car or the cable. It was installed with a 32A circuit breaker which has never tripped, but the manufacturer (BGSyncEV) said it needed to be a 40A CB - something about their calibration to reset to zero after an initial RCD leakage needed the higher CB. Anyway, I had it upgraded and they recalibrated for the umpteenth time - and it seems to be working!! Whether this is the same for anyone else I have no idea but I have my fingers firmly crossed that my issue is sorted.

Hi, I was about to update this thread - which I started. :) I seem to have a fix though it's a bit soon to say for sure. The problem appears to be the charger, not the car or the cable. It was installed with a 32A circuit breaker which has never tripped, but the manufacturer (BGSyncEV) said it needed to be a 40A CB - something about their calibration to reset to zero after an initial RCD leakage needed the higher CB. Anyway, I had it upgraded and they recalibrated for the umpteenth time - and it seems to be working!! Whether this is the same for anyone else I have no idea but I have my fingers firmly crossed that my issue is sorted.
With apols for the many typos in the above when I first posted it - now corrected. I'm going to post this update as a reply to the early posts to save people reading all the way through. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Scheduled charging stops early. Apols if this has been covered elsewhere - I did look. I have an MG4 Trophy and a dumb home charger. I'm trying to use scheduled charging to take advantage of lower costs between midnight and 7am, setting it up via the app and in the car to start at 00.05 and finish either at 6.55 or a target level or 80 or 100% - I've tried all the combos. All seems fine though I don't know when charging actually starts - I'm asleep! But every time, charging stops after adding only 15-20%, way short of the target or the time.
Has anyone had anything similar or can suggest what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
After nearly 2 months, I seem to have a fix though it's a bit soon to say for sure. The problem appears to be the charger, not the car or the cable. It was installed with a 32A circuit breaker which has never tripped, but the manufacturer (BGSyncEV) said it should be 40A - something about their calibration to reset to zero after an initial RCD leakage needed the higher CB. Anyway, I had it upgraded and they recalibrated for the umpteenth time - and it seems to be working!! Whether this is the same for anyone else I have no idea but I have my fingers firmly crossed that my issue is sorted.

Last edited:
I suspect a faulty module somewhere in the charging system that needs replacing. These problems can take a very long time to sort out with remote help from SAIC China being slow, so if there isn't a quick fix you might want to consider asking for your car to be replaced, so that at least all the debugging isn't affecting you.
Many thanks for your input as I do suspect the fault does sit within the car. The dealer did say there are no mechanical items in this system but of course there will be modules/relays etc! Does anyone have a direct email to SIAC customer service so I can start the ball rolling on your suggestion of a replacement car ? Many Thanks

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back