Set to automatically charge when connected to power

Edward

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

I have had my MG ZS EV Trophy LR (the newer version) for a few weeks now and charge it at home from a 7.5kw EV charger which is controlled from an app.

Currently, the way I get the car to charge is plug it into the charger, tell the charger to start charging using its app and then tell the car to start charging using the MG app, at this stage the lights on the front of the car turn from blue to green and it begins charging. All good.

The problem with this is that (as far as I know) you can only have one device signed into the MG app, so my wife is unable to charge the car when I go away.

The charger will also allow me to programme it to charge at specific times of the night (when electricity is cheaper) which I want to start doing as soon as my electricity tariff moves across to one with cheaper electricity at night.

For both these reasons, I want to set the car to start charging as soon as the charger starts delivering power, without me having to go into the MG app to tell it to start charging. Can anyone tell me how to do this.

Apologies if someone has already asked this (please point me toward the answer!)

Thanks.

I just plug mine in and it starts charging without me doing anything via the car or the charger apps!
Sometimes it won't start to charge until I lock the car but that's just one of MGs little game they play with you! Like putting the rear lights on when you remotely preheat the car via the app!!

Currently, the way I get the car to charge is plug it into the charger, tell the charger to start charging using its app and then tell the car to start charging using the MG app, at this stage the lights on the front of the car turn from blue to green and it begins charging. All good.
You should only have to do one or the other doing both makes no sense

I have my charger set to deliver power all the time. I use the schedule charge function on the car to control when it takes power and set the desired charge level. I'm on intelligent octopus so I'm set to charge between 11.30 pm and 5.30 am. The only thing to remember is to cancel scheduled charge when charging en route.

Thanks all. I think I’ve figured it out. I plugged the car in and started the charger and left it. The lights on the car changed from blue to green after about a minute without me having to manually tell it to start charging on the MG app.

Hi,

I have had my MG ZS EV Trophy LR (the newer version) for a few weeks now and charge it at home from a 7.5kw EV charger which is controlled from an app.

The problem with this is that (as far as I know) you can only have one device signed into the MG app, so my wife is unable to charge the car when I go away.

The charger will also allow me to programme it to charge at specific times of the night (when electricity is cheaper) which I want to start doing as soon as my electricity tariff moves across to one with cheaper electricity at night.

For both these reasons, I want to set the car to start charging as soon as the charger starts delivering power, without me having to go into the MG app to tell it to start charging. Can anyone tell me how to do this.

Apologies if someone has already asked this (please point me toward the answer!)

Thanks.
My understanding for the app is, only 1 person can be signed in on the app at a time but the app can be installed on multiple devices. So as long as you log out, your wife can then log in and use the app.

My understanding for the app is, only 1 person can be signed in on the app at a time but the app can be installed on multiple devices. So as long as you log out, your wife can then log in and use the app.
You don't even have to log out it does it automatically

On the charging piece I thought chargers at home had a 10 minute delay set in case everybody plugs in at the same time as they get home from work

Madness I k ow!

If you go away set the car to the % you wish to charge too make sure there no st time on the car then set a time if you wish on the wall box and the car will charge at that set time if plugged in. You can down load the app for you wall charge to check on the charge.

Hi,

Thanks.
If the app is set for charging at any set time then if plugged in will charge at the pre set time. No need to use app every time. Also you can set scheduled charging time from the car, with the ignition on, flick then right hand of the 3 toggles back to get the battery charging display on the screen where there is a scheduled charging facility

I have my charger set to deliver power all the time. I use the schedule charge function on the car to control when it takes power and set the desired charge level. I'm on intelligent octopus so I'm set to charge between 11.30 pm and 5.30 am. The only thing to remember is to cancel scheduled charge when charging en route.
I do the same. Simples!

Hi,

Thanks.
If you switch off scheduled charge in the app.. The car will start to charge as soon as you plug the charger in.

Hi - hope someone can help a novice here. Our MG ZS will only charge to 80% from our home charger (car new in Oct and previously would charge to 100%). I don’t know if we have changed a setting or if the car is smarter than we are! Help please!!!

Hi - hope someone can help a novice here. Our MG ZS will only charge to 80% from our home charger (car new in Oct and previously would charge to 100%). I don’t know if we have changed a setting or if the car is smarter than we are! Help please!!!
Flick the battery switch in the car then on screen make sure limit isn't set to 80%

On the charging screen, set the charge limit to 90% or 100%.

Hiya
How come you have been able to
use Intelligent Octopus? I was told that they didn’t yet include MG’s in their list of acceptable EV’s 😖

On the charging piece I thought chargers at home had a 10 minute delay set in case everybody plugs in at the same time as they get home from work

Madness I k ow!
It is my understanding’s that home wall boxes being produced now have this facility already built in.
“My energy” of Zappi fame, have been working with the government on this initiative.
Chargers have the ability to stall / delay the start of these charge at peak times of the day, in order to try minimise a spike on the grid as people arrive home from work and automatically plug in their EV’s.
This can be turned OFF in the settings, but the delay is the default setting.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom