MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

Because hardly any houses in the UK have three-phase, hence it is a virtually redundant option. Here in France, almost every house built before the early 2000's has a three-phase supply, ours included. I believe that it is very similar for Germany and many other EU countries.
Except some public chargers here (Podpoint at Tesco) are 3 phase 22kW. Connecting to one of these gets 7kW (i.e. 1/3 of 22 as car can only see one phase.) Connect to an 11kW 3 phase - you might as well use the granny.

Except some public chargers here (Podpoint at Tesco) are 3 phase 22kW. Connecting to one of these gets 7kW (i.e. 1/3 of 22 as car can only see one phase.) Connect to an 11kW 3 phase - you might as well use the granny.
Or conversely, if you bring a 11kW 3 phase equipped MG from France to the UK and charge it on a 7kW single phase home charger, it will only be able to use 1 phase at 3.5kW. I think MG have it right - single phase 11kW charger for the UK market and 11kW 3 phase charger for countries that can use it.

Or conversely, if you bring a 11kW 3 phase equipped MG from France to the UK and charge it on a 7kW single phase home charger, it will only be able to use 1 phase at 3.5kW. I think MG have it right - single phase 11kW charger for the UK market and 11kW 3 phase charger for countries that can use it.
Very good point!

One other difference is the European variants get up to 11kw AC instead of 7kw AC charging either included or as an option.
UK and Eire don't even get the option of speccing it.

Yeah i read that as well.

The LR version in both trim, levels here will get the 11 Kwh charger.

I just dont understand this, i would think that the price difference between the 7 and 11 Kwh charger would be minisqule and the hazzle of having to stock 2 different sizes would be enough to make it not very economical.

If the 50 kwh version was the only one with the 7 Kwh i might understand it, as it has a smaller battery though.

Because hardly any houses in the UK have three-phase, hence it is a virtually redundant option. Here in France, almost every house built before the early 2000's has a three-phase supply, ours included. I believe that it is very similar for Germany and many other EU countries.
Our house was built in 1957 and we have 3 phase power.

I think it has been "retrofitted" at some point because when i was a kid in the 1980's most electric connections to houses came from wires on poles.

I moved into this house in 1998, and at that time it was 3 phase.

Also i remember from my childhood, my parents house, had 3 phase at that time also, we had a washing machine that needed 3 phase power.

2 phases for the heating element, and one phase for the 3 phase motor (That motor, then had some capacitors to "make" the other phases for the motor).

Very good point!
Except that's not right. I don't know how it all works within the car, but our 400v three phase supply is then 'phased down' to provide three 230v supplies at the house fuse board - each of these supplies a single phase 230v supply to different zones of our house. Our wallbox is a standard, single phase 240v 7kW version and happily charges our three-phase enabled ZS at 6.6kw - so it would appear that the charger in the car is capable of identifying the type of supply and adapting appropriately.

Except that's not right. I don't know how it all works within the car, but our 400v three phase supply is then 'phased down' to provide three 230v supplies at the house fuse board - each of these supplies a single phase 230v supply to different zones of our house. Our wallbox is a standard, single phase 240v 7kW version and happily charges our three-phase enabled ZS at 6.6kw - so it would appear that the charger in the car is capable of identifying the type of supply and adapting appropriately.
From memory you dont "phase down" anything with 3 phase.

3 phase is essentially 3 phases of 230V in relation to the neutral wire.

The 400 volt is the voltage measured between 2 phases.

So :

L1 + N = 230
L2 + N = 230
L3 + N = 230

L1 + L2 = 400
L2 + L3 = 400
L1 + L3 = 400

The reason you can have 3 phases and only one neutral, and pull 3 times the power, is because the 3 phases are 120 degrees out of sync, so you essentially "pump" electrons through the wires at different times, and the return can handle the return, as each phase only loads it for 1/3 of the time

Yeah i read that as well.

The LR version in both trim, levels here will get the 11 Kwh charger.

I just dont understand this, i would think that the price difference between the 7 and 11 Kwh charger would be minisqule and the hazzle of having to stock 2 different sizes would be enough to make it not very economical.

If the 50 kwh version was the only one with the 7 Kwh i might understand it, as it has a smaller battery though.
It's simple - we have single phase domestic supply, so a car expecting 3 phase at 11kW and receiving single phase at 7Kw would only be able to receive 1/3 of that - 2.3 kW. Better then to use the granny. But as reported above if you have three phase it might, depending on configuration be able to get almost 7 kW. Going to a public charger - 22kW 3 phase only provides 1/3 of that to my wife's e-Up! Might as well use the 7kW charger next to it.

It's simple - we have single phase domestic supply, so a car expecting 3 phase at 11kW and receiving single phase at 7Kw would only be able to receive 1/3 of that - 2.3 kW. Better then to use the granny. But as reported above if you have three phase it might, depending on configuration be able to get almost 7 kW. Going to a public charger - 22kW 3 phase only provides 1/3 of that to my wife's e-Up! Might as well use the 7kW charger next to it.
Aah that makes sense.

Here almost everywhere we have 3 phase power, but if i do the math allright, 7 KW on a single phase is 30 amps, and not a lot of power outlets will support 30 amp on a single phase.

Usually 1 phase is maximum 16 amps.

Aah that makes sense.

Here almost everywhere we have 3 phase power, but if i do the math allright, 7 KW on a single phase is 30 amps, and not a lot of power outlets will support 30 amp on a single phase.

Usually 1 phase is maximum 16 amps.
29.17 amps. My Project EV charger seems to handle it just fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom