Short Range/Long Range comparison

hutchinson82

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm considering changing my order to a short-range based on the following calculations.

Screenshot 2022-06-09 162237.png

It's my understanding that the battery technology in the short range allows for 100% charging without damaging the battery. If this is the case then the actual usable mileage of both cars is very similar.

Ranges have been obtained from EV Database.

Any comments on why I am wrong are welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-09 162237.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-09 162237.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 103
I'm considering changing my order to a short-range based on the following calculations.

View attachment 8863
It's my understanding that the battery technology in the short range allows for 100% charging without damaging the battery. If this is the case then the actual usable mileage of both cars is very similar.

Seems about right to me, the reason I went for the LR was the ability to be able to charge to 100% if I was going to go on a longer journey, the vast majority of the time I am happy to exist between 20 and 80% (I think the technical term for me is range anxiety) 😀

View attachment 8863

Charging the LR to 100% does NOT damage the battery !!!!!

The BMS looks after the battery which has a 7 year warranty. Charging on your home charger to 100% SOC will not hurt the battery.

The LR will go further, require less charge cycles (this is the thing that degrades the battery), and charge faster than the SR.

For normal day to day driving, the SR and LR will achieve the same, though the LR would still charge faster on a Rapid Charger.

For any trips that are beyond the normal day to day driving range of the car, the LR wins easily. It offers fewer stops on the trip, and also shorter time on the charger.

All very good points. I should give a little more info on my usage.
  • My MG will be a company car so the resale value isn't too much of a concern to me.
  • I have to contribute anything over £30,000 (via an interest-free loan from my employer).
  • I have a wife and 3 kids and another car (7 seat Touran).
  • I have a home charger installed already so charging isn't an issue.
So the MG wouldn't be our main car for holidays due to its smallish size.

USABLE BATTERY CAPACITY100% CHARGE RANGERECOMMENDED %CHARGEADJUSTED RANGEMILES LEFT AT 10%USABLE RANGE
MILD WEATHER
LONG RANGE68.3026080.00%20826182
SHORT RANGE49.00190100.00%19019171

USABLE BATTERY CAPACITY100% CHARGE RANGERECOMMENDED %CHARGEADJUSTED RANGEMILES LEFT AT 10%USABLE RANGE
COLD WEATHER
LONG RANGE68.3019080.00%15219133
SHORT RANGE49.00140100.00%14014126

Not sure what I'm asking the community really but just putting it out there for validation I suppose.

You have confirmed it is suitable for your needs...which is the main thing...others will have different needs , opinions so go with your plan, which looks fine....it also frees up another lr for those of us who are waiting 😁

All very good points. I should give a little more info on my usage.
  • My MG will be a company car so the resale value isn't too much of a concern to me.
  • I have to contribute anything over £30,000 (via an interest-free loan from my employer).
  • I have a wife and 3 kids and another car (7 seat Touran).
  • I have a home charger installed already so charging isn't an issue.
So the MG wouldn't be our main car for holidays due to its smallish size.

MILD WEATHER
LONG RANGE68.3026080.00%20826182
SHORT RANGE49.00190100.00%19019171

COLD WEATHER
LONG RANGE68.3019080.00%15219133
SHORT RANGE49.00140100.00%14014126

Not sure what I'm asking the community really but just putting it out there for validation I suppose.
Get the SR if your long range stuff is covered by the other car. Saying that, the SR will still do the miles, you just need to allow more time for stops to charge.

Diesel at £2.00 a litre, and going to get higher, will mean a gallon will soon cost £10.00. Something else to consider.

I went for the LR because I have a regular 230 mile round trip that I do. The LR allows me to do it without having to stop and charge. Not sure where you get 190 miles range for the LR, or 140 miles range for the SR?

Also remember that on a long trip you would typically rapid charge at around 15% (allows a bit of range should the charger be broken), and stop at 80%. So your range per rapid charge is only 65% of the full battery range.

Seems about right to me, the reason I went for the LR was the ability to be able to charge to 100% if I was going to go on a longer journey, the vast majority of the time I am happy to exist between 20 and 80% (I think the technical term for me is range anxiety) 😀
I am the same.

Normal day to day, i go to 80%, but if i know that i am going somewhere out of range or nearly out of range, i always go to 100%, this will save me time at the CCS charger, where i typically only charge until i am able to get home, and have 10-15% charge left, and then let the home charger do the recharging.

Another reason to not do CCS fast charging is my home charger is backed by solar panels, so that electricity is "free". :)

I went through a similar process but went for the LR. Although our journeys tend to be short (we are both mainly working from home) it gives us an added flexibility. We already have a 30kw leaf (we have had an electric car for over four years, first one was a Zoe) and have a fast charger at home.
The MG is replacing a diesel Toyota Verso, we have 2 young ones so space should not be an issue.
I am buying through our company so should save on VAT and BIK.
When i ordered you could get a LR trophy for £30,500 (blue). if you shop about (online dealers, google "new car discount sites") you should be able to get a similar price.

Last edited:
I was 110% sure I wanted the LR model this time around.
The improved features of the car are a big plus, but the larger pack was the big attraction for me !.
It’s all about usage case really.
We had the original ZS EV for over two years and nearly 20,000 miles.
It worked fine for us, but when conducting the longer trips, you find yourself doing a fair bit of pre planning on range and charging stops.
Although this is expected and standard fair for EV travelling, there is the worry about if the charging will go off without a hitch.
I know many people do this on a daily basis and it’s works out just fine, but it is stress that is nice to avoid if at all possible.
The LR just offers you that bigger cushion to help avoid this type of thing.
Another very good point that has been raised, is future battery requirements.
If you are estimating your usage set against a brand new HV pack and it will “Just about do the job” then consider this, will it do the same in a few years time when some battery degradation has set in !.
I figure after having the smaller pack and upgrading to the larger pack, it will still serve us well when the reduction in range commences.
I have witnessed this on our previous ZS EV over our ownership.
If you go for the short range model, the first time you are either running on the low range warning ⚠️ or you turn up at a charger that is not working, you will be heard to say these words.
“See, if I had stuck with the LR order, then I would not be in this situation now”.
If you are considering going for the SR model then fine, but just consider what other users are saying first before you pull the trigger.
Speaking only for myself, I would not have paid to upgrade from the Gen1 to the Gen2 without the extra pack size.
To me, it was more important that any of the other improvements.
Yes - they are huge improvement and very welcomed, but a nice digital interface etc is not going to get you home after you have been diverted from your normal planned route on a cold winters night and your HV low SOC light is pecking your head !.
Ask yourself this question 🙋🏻‍♂️.
Do you NEED the the extra range, or do I WANT the extra range !.
If you NEED the extra range both now and likely in a few years time, then there is your answer my friend.

@Lovemyev Ok you win.

It was originally the longer range that swayed me towards the MG and away from the Skoda Enyaq which i really liked.

Mine isn't due until August/September (in theory) so I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks for everyones input.

Do you NEED the the extra range, or do I WANT the extra range !
Excellent post of personal needs and wants from @Lovemyev.

My case is slightly different. This is my first EV after 40+ years of ICE driving. Obviously I wanted an EV because of the fuel price issue and it's green credentials. The kids have been nagging me for ages.

I liked the MG ZS after a test drive and most importantly so did the wife. I ordered a LR TC from our local dealer last November and waited patiently until I saw the post from Chorley about a bunch of SRs that they received. I too'd and fro'd in my mind and gave them a call. They had what we wanted in terms of colour (black) and a Connect.

After I spoke to my local dealer about this he asked me to give him a few hours to see if he could get anything from MG. He called me back and said he couldn't and there was nothing on the horizon for him. I apologetically cancelled.

I don't need the LR but it would have been my first choice however the wait was unbearable and my trusty 17 year old Jag was ready for a new home. I was surprised I got my asking price for it without haggle.

The drive down from Chorley to Swansea necessitated a charge stop which I did roughly half way at a rapid. 20 minutes is all I needed according to ABRP and it was spot on in it's predications, arriving home with 23% to spare.

I'm so glad I made the decision to swap to a SR. Again, not my first choice, but that wait........

Just had a call from my dealer, JCT600 Bradford, to say that they have been assigned a batch of long-range and short-range Trophy's and SE's which are due in the next 7 to 10 days and they are working though their order book and assigning them to customers orders.

I was 110% sure I wanted the LR model this time around.
The improved features of the car are a big plus, but the larger pack was the big attraction for me !.
It’s all about usage case really.
We had the original ZS EV for over two years and nearly 20,000 miles.
It worked fine for us, but when conducting the longer trips, you find yourself doing a fair bit of pre planning on range and charging stops.
Although this is expected and standard fair for EV travelling, there is the worry about if the charging will go off without a hitch.
I know many people do this on a daily basis and it’s works out just fine, but it is stress that is nice to avoid if at all possible.
The LR just offers you that bigger cushion to help avoid this type of thing.
Another very good point that has been raised, is future battery requirements.
If you are estimating your usage set against a brand new HV pack and it will “Just about do the job” then consider this, will it do the same in a few years time when some battery degradation has set in !.
I figure after having the smaller pack and upgrading to the larger pack, it will still serve us well when the reduction in range commences.
I have witnessed this on our previous ZS EV over our ownership.
If you go for the short range model, the first time you are either running on the low range warning ⚠️ or you turn up at a charger that is not working, you will be heard to say these words.
“See, if I had stuck with the LR order, then I would not be in this situation now”.
If you are considering going for the SR model then fine, but just consider what other users are saying first before you pull the trigger.
Speaking only for myself, I would not have paid to upgrade from the Gen1 to the Gen2 without the extra pack size.
To me, it was more important that any of the other improvements.
Yes - they are huge improvement and very welcomed, but a nice digital interface etc is not going to get you home after you have been diverted from your normal planned route on a cold winters night and your HV low SOC light is pecking your head !.
Ask yourself this question 🙋🏻‍♂️.
Do you NEED the the extra range, or do I WANT the extra range !.
If you NEED the extra range both now and likely in a few years time, then there is your answer my friend.
Hi everyone, been reading this forum for a while and not decided to post for first time. Very interesting write up here and like you said depends on your needs. For me I am going with the SR....I live in Barbados, so no winter or long trips here, lol.

Charging the LR to 100% does NOT damage the battery !!!!!

The BMS looks after the battery which has a 7 year warranty. Charging on your home charger to 100% SOC will not hurt the battery.

The LR will go further, require less charge cycles (this is the thing that degrades the battery), and charge faster than the SR.

For normal day to day driving, the SR and LR will achieve the same, though the LR would still charge faster on a Rapid Charger.

For any trips that are beyond the normal day to day driving range of the car, the LR wins easily. It offers fewer stops on the trip, and also shorter time on the charger.
As I'm not getting any younger, I've order the LR so I don't need to charge so frequently. The public tethered chargers are very heavy and awkward too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom