Should a new MG4 Trophy come with the Type 2, Granny and V2L cables ?

NewMG4me

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all, new here. Just ordered a Trophy today - due to pick up 15/02 as its at the dealers already.
Reading through this forum I see several adverts for people selling Type 2 / V2L cables but I would expect these to come with the car as standard. Is this not the case ?
Is there anything else I need to know / check (aware of the bulging tray)
Thanks all

Thanks all for the quick responses and the checklist - very helpful !
Bit of a shocker that a £30K+ EV doesnt come with the Type 2 cable - I have little need for a granny cable and dropping £120 for a Type 2 is a bit annoying.

You can pickup type2 cables from a lot of on-line sellers, just check that it is 32A 7kW and get the length you require.
Have you sorted out a home EVSE and is that tethered or not?

Yes I have the home EVSE (long story involving a salary sacrifice scheme at work that cant seem to deliver any car in less than 18 month) but it doesnt have a built in cable, hence I need them.
Have emailed the dealer to see what they say.

We only had a granny charger with ours.
We bought a V2L cable for only £75 on eBay, it’s as good as any dearer one, only difference is the name on the bag, it’s a 5m cable and it serves us well.

Wait and see what arrives with the car and what you can get out of your dealer. Type 2 cables can be bought and delivered quickly if you can't get a freebie.
A granny cable is useful to keep in the car as a just in case bit of kit.

I think the cables you want could be part of the initial negotiation phase, since you’ve just placed your order, may be checking with your dealer and see what they can do. The worst case would be cancel your order and find another dealer who would satisfy your requirements.

If anything to go by, my orange Trophy came with just the type 2 cable.

Good luck.

They've come back to confirm just the granny cable - they want £150 for the type 2 cable.
As per negotiations - nothing is signed yet, just a refunadable deposit.

Thanks all for the quick responses and the checklist - very helpful !
Bit of a shocker that a £30K+ EV doesnt come with the Type 2 cable - I have little need for a granny cable and dropping £120 for a Type 2 is a bit annoying.
30k is NOT EXPENSIVE for an EV. Compare to the rest if the market

They've come back to confirm just the granny cable - they want £150 for the type 2 cable.
As per negotiations - nothing is signed yet, just a refunadable deposit.
Bear in mind that they are selling more cars than they can get hold of. My dealer didnt even want a deposit as he could have sold any cancellations easily.

You have poor grounds for negotiation

Bear in mind that they are selling more cars than they can get hold of. My dealer didnt even want a deposit as he could have sold any cancellations easily.

You have poor grounds for negotiation
Well that is very true, I’ll just have to buy one.

Well that is very true, I’ll just have to buy one.
Mine came with a type 2 cable that I didn't need as I already had one from a previous car. My dealer swapped mine for a granny charger. I probably won't ever use the granny charger but thought it might be useful if I ever sell the car to someone who doesn't have a charge point. If you don't need the granny charger, maybe they would swap it for a type 2 lead.

You dont get a v2l

Early cars came with a type2

Later come with granny

You get one cable
Definitely don't get the V2L MG was going to charge me ~£270 (can't remember exact price) for it and same again for a Type 2.

I ended up getting a Type 2 - 3 Phase cable for ~£80 from Tesla Mobile App (won't need it now as my alternative car comes with a Type 2 cable but oh well lol 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Definitely don't get the V2L MG was going to charge me ~£270 (can't remember exact price) for it and same again for a Type 2.

I ended up getting a Type 2 - 3 Phase cable for ~£80 from Tesla Mobile App (won't need it now as my alternative car comes with a Type 2 cable but oh well lol 🤷🏻‍♂️)
Oh that might be an option, my bro is law has a Tesla. Will ask him

Oh that might be an option, my bro is law has a Tesla. Will ask him
If you need one I did post (in detail) how to order it without being a Tesla customer on another forum thread but basically it amounts to.

If you try do it on the Web it checks if you are a Tesla owner but if you download the app and sign up for a login through it, then it let's you because Non Teslas can now use Superchargers.

All you do then is within the mobile app scroll down to the Tesla store find the Type 2 charging cable and order away. It'll arrive in a couple of days and it's a Decent quality too. Although my new car comes with one I'll still keep the Tesla one because it'll be a good backup.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back