Should we be worried? 🤔

This is probably a difficult question to answer, though interested to hear various opinions.

Seems there are quite a few of us awaiting delivery of our shiny new MG4s. Spending time reading the forums and the numerous issues is enough to give anybody serious doubts, especially with reports of folk handing their cars back or trying to get out of deals.

So, is there cause to be seriously concerned, or are the forums a disproportionate representation of people who have issues posting for advice, with a very large majority of MG4 owners pretty satisfied with their purchase (and not using these forums!)?

Would appreciate happy ownership comments for reassurance 😅 (My blue SE SR just arrived in Portbury, awaiting delivery)
my MG4 Trophy arrived one week ago and is near perfect. I am an experienced ev user coming from a ZOE. That car had 4-wheels and the same price as the MG4. No other comparison worthwile. I expect the Infotainment software will improve

It can be both. I think that's Leni's point.
thing is Google like to charge for their licences, in fact they like to charge a lot and out of the box the vanilla Google/Android Auto is functional but it still takes quite a bit of developer input to integrate it with the cars systems and of course some manufacturers will want to add skins and their own functionality, just look at the mobile market.

Eventually Google & Apple will offer a full car system but that's a way off and god help us if Microsoft ever decide to try. Amazon are currently looking at a system and there are a few others that are testing the waters

It's an age old dilemma for any manufacturer cost over content, but at the end of the day what are you buying a car to get you from A-B or a mobile entertainment centre?
Yes I want a car to get me from A-B the problem is with the minimalist interior look that some manufacturers are going for a lot of essential functions of the car, to help assist and get you from A-B are now reliant on iffy software.

Yes I want a car to get me from A-B the problem is with the minimalist interior look that some manufacturers are going for a lot of essential functions of the car, to help assist and get you from A-B are now reliant on iffy software.
15 years ago all we worried about was a radio with a CD player and some gauges that told us how fast we were going and how much fuel we had left, how times have changed.

I agree but as I said above from a user perspective I just don't get why more manufacturers just don't follow Polestar and Renaults lead and just go with Google or similar for their software.
I would say that it’s probably cost. It’s misguided but to use someone else’s software as the platform for your product, not only costs but commits you to the relationship unless you develop your own.
The issue is that if you’re a car manufacturer turning into a software developer the road is full of pain. Tesla as a software developer producing cars had the opposite - reasonable software and poor quality early cars. Combine that with new technology and hardware and that;s why the industry is not coping well with the change. They don’t have the depth of in house knowledge that they need.
Dealers are trying to force the old service model to fit the new technology and it’s not working. For example taking your car in for servicing and updates - we should not be doing this at all, but dealers are clinging on to the old methods.
By now we should have had a real benchmark for car software - do we have it? Some say Tesla is the leader - is it the benchmark that other aspire to?

Saw an apparent photo of the new revised M3 "Project Highland"
Revised front rand rear end, cameras, mirrors and improved interior.
New production methods with less parts that they reckon will keep costs down as it's cheaper to make.
Tesla might have just moved the goal posts again.

Attachments

• 20230413_185137.jpg
    20230413_185137.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 109
Has someone made a comprehensive list of the min faults?

Like the oil leak and the windows dropping when you lock it?

Also the emergency stop for no reason which is the most serious and dangerous. I almost had a car crash into my rear end a few times

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back