Sitting in car whilst charging

My MG4 trophy has been back in with dealer now for 16 days with issues they do not yet have the intel to fix. Patience is wearing thin!

Please could someone check to see if when their car is on charge on their driveway and they select pre-heat on the MG App if it will actually heat up/defrost the car or do they need to physically unplug for this to work. I want to know if this is yet another issue I need to report or the norm for our cars. Thank you
You can preheat the cabin while it's charging or when it's disconnected from the charger but not connected and not charging.
It's a glitch that MG know about and hope to correct with a future software update.

We seem to have a first member who can, in the Recall thread Splodgie' s car would appear to be able to do it.

My MG4 trophy has been back in with dealer now for 16 days with issues they do not yet have the intel to fix. Patience is wearing thin!

Please could someone check to see if when their car is on charge on their driveway and they select pre-heat on the MG App if it will actually heat up/defrost the car or do they need to physically unplug for this to work. I want to know if this is yet another issue I need to report or the norm for our cars. Thank you
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you owned your car for?

We seem to have a first member who can, in the Recall thread Splodgie' s car would appear to be able to do it.

There is an owner in Recall thread advising they can pre heat when plugged in and not charging. I have no reason to doubt them but this is the first user I am aware of reporting they can do this. As far as I was aware cars couldn't be pre heated when plugged in and not charging and MG "were aware, will advise of fix with no ETA as yet."

Last edited:
If my car is plugged in and charging (or unplugged) then cabin preheat works. If it is plugged in but not charging then it currently doesn't.

MG are aware of this and plan a fix, but there is no timescale as yet for this fix.

Edit: I didn't see page 2 of replies before responding. 🤫

There is an owner in Recall thread advising they can pre heat when plugged in and not charging. I have no reason to doubt them but this is the first user I am aware of reporting they can do this. As far as I was aware cars couldn't be pre heated when plugged in and not charging and MG "were aware, will advise of fix with no ETA as yet."
I've mentioned before that I can preheat when plugged in and not charging but, when I do, the car also starts charging. It won't preheat if the battery is at 100% as it can't start charging.

I've mentioned before that I can preheat when plugged in and not charging but, when I do, the car also starts charging. It won't preheat if the battery is at 100% as it can't start charging.
Understood, though technically this does confirm that preheating cabin while plugged in and not charging is not possible right now. I wish mine would do what yours does. I have to activate charging again in the app (only possible if not at 100% of course) and only then will it play ball.

Understood, though technically this does confirm that preheating cabin while plugged in and not charging is not possible right now. I wish mine would do what yours does. I have to activate charging again in the app (only possible if not at 100% of course) and only then will it play ball.
Agreed, it does need to charge. I'm just lucky that mine will kick in the charging for me and that, as I have a Trophy, I'm usually never more than 80% charged. I wish it behaved like my old i3 did where it would preheat using power from the charger without starting to charge the battery - i.e. it kept preheating and charging as separate functions.

Agreed, it does need to charge. I'm just lucky that mine will kick in the charging for me and that, as I have a Trophy, I'm usually never more than 80% charged. I wish it behaved like my old i3 did where it would preheat using power from the charger without starting to charge the battery - i.e. it kept preheating and charging as separate functions.
I sold my i3 for the MG4 Trophy. I also miss scheduled pre heat and the simplicity of the preheat interface. The MG system is pretty poor/glitchy.

I assume that pre-heat/or cold means pre-conditioning the cabin and not the battery - or can both be scheduled/configured for the combined operation? This of course adds yet more options/scenarios…
Here are just a couple - all while plugged in to an AC wall box…

What impact does scheduled charging have on this?
Example #1;
Charge schedule set to only charge between 00.30 and 04.30 ✅
Car charges overnight within schedule to say 80% charge ✅
Will 8am scheduled cabin heating work as configured while plugged in?
If it works, does it pull power from the wall box as it pre-heats even though it’s outside the scheduled charge times? Or does it use the cars HV pack?

How does it work without scheduled charging?
Example #2;
No charge schedule used but battery charge limit set to say 80% ✅
Car starts charging as soon as plugged in to wall box✅
Charge completed to 80%✅
If it works, does it pull power from the wall box as it pre-heats even though it’s outside the scheduled charge limits? Or does it use the cars HV pack?

How about when battery is fully charged?
Example #3;
Car plugged in and charged to 100%✅
If it works, does it pull power from the wall box as it pre-heats even though the battery is fully charged? Or does it use the cars HV pack?

There are many more scenarios - this is how MG should test and configure cars for the industry standard best practice settings.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back