Sitting in car whilst charging

Shengis

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies, this may have already been answered but I can’t find it…

I haven’t had the occasion to charge my car anywhere other than home so far, but when I do can you tell me if and how I can charge it and sit inside the car without interfering with it charging?

In my experience so far the car only charges when it’s locked after plugging the charger in…

I haven’t had the occasion to charge my car anywhere other than home so far, but when I do can you tell me if and how I can charge it and sit inside the car without interfering with it charging?

In my experience so far the car only charges when it’s locked after plugging the charger in…
I believe after it has started charging you can get back in.
You can also shut the car down from the infotainment screen to enable it to start charging so your passengers don't have to get out.

So if you…

Park the car
Power off from screen
Get out and plug in
Sit back in car

It should charge and allow you to sit in the car?

I’m sure mine doesn’t start charging until I press lock! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll need to check again methinks….

Does the heating work when you have done that and sitting in it whilst you wait for it to charge? I ask because I tried to pre-heat the car remotely on the app and it wouldn’t work whilst it was plugged in even though it indicated that it was working on the app. I know we are spoilt to have this function but a bit of a niggle to need to go out and unplug to set the pre heat on the car (particularly when it was frosted up) - unless anyone knows of a work around that?

Does the heating work when you have done that and sitting in it whilst you wait for it to charge? I ask because I tried to pre-heat the car remotely on the app and it wouldn’t work whilst it was plugged in even though it indicated that it was working on the app. I know we are spoilt to have this function but a bit of a niggle to need to go out and unplug to set the pre heat on the car (particularly when it was frosted up) - unless anyone knows of a work around that?
Yes, the heating works when you sit back in the car.

I too find that if I return and sit in my car it stops charging. I then go into the battery menu and select start charging. Then you can sit in the car with radio and heating on, whilst still charging.

I too find that if I return and sit in my car it stops charging. I then go into the battery menu and select start charging. Then you can sit in the car with radio and heating on, whilst still charging.
Thanks. I’ve not had the occasion to do it yet but no doubt I will. I didn’t even realise there was a start charging option on the app! 🤣

Unless there's a fuel crisis, or a tanker driver strike - remember the queues of a couple of years ago?
True, but there isn't a comparable electric crisis or electric strike right now (in terms of flow). This is just people trying to charge their cars with no electric crisis.

Depends on the EV but generally lock the car, plug in, start charging. Unlock and jump into car, car often stops charging for 10-15 seconds but will restart, then do whatever you need to do. If using accessories heater etc, just make sure you have the car 'on' so you don't flatten the 12 volt battery. Enjoy! 👍

Depends on the EV but generally lock the car, plug in, start charging. Unlock and jump into car, car often stops charging for 10-15 seconds but will restart, then do whatever you need to do. If using accessories heater etc, just make sure you have the car 'on' so you don't flatten the 12 volt battery. Enjoy! 👍
Just curious, does the same procedure apply if you've got passengers or dogs in the car? Not sure about the interior sensing alarm as I've got a 5 Trophy.

Just curious, does the same procedure apply if you've got passengers or dogs in the car? Not sure about the interior sensing alarm as I've got a 5 Trophy.
There isn't an interior sensing alarm. I asked MG customer services as I also often have dogs in the car and they replied:

I can confirm that there are no motion sensors in the car. The alarm will mainly work through the immobiliser system when someone attempts entry or start the car with no key present.

My MG4 trophy has been back in with dealer now for 16 days with issues they do not yet have the intel to fix. Patience is wearing thin!

Please could someone check to see if when their car is on charge on their driveway and they select pre-heat on the MG App if it will actually heat up/defrost the car or do they need to physically unplug for this to work. I want to know if this is yet another issue I need to report or the norm for our cars. Thank you

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back