Sleeping in MG4 [merged thread]

I do agree though, it's nuts that the lights can't be turned off. In another thread someone talked about sitting in the car in a drive-through cinema to watch a film. A car with its lights on is not popular. Another talked about wanting to be able to sit and wait for a child coming out of school without the lights on. I occasionally aurora-watch, and any artificial light is an absolute passion-killer if you're trying to see the Northern Lights as far south as Edinburgh.

Maybe it's best to concentrate on how to cover them though, given that MG aren't likely to produce a hack for this just because we want it.

I do agree though, it's nuts that the lights can't be turned off. In another thread someone talked about sitting in the car in a drive-through cinema to watch a film. A car with its lights on is not popular. Another talked about wanting to be able to sit and wait for a child coming out of school without the lights on. I occasionally aurora-watch, and any artificial light is an absolute passion-killer if you're trying to see the Northern Lights as far south as Edinburgh.

Maybe it's best to concentrate on how to cover them though, given that MG aren't likely to produce a hack for this just because we want it.
I like the idea of the app for the ZS and the MG5.

I hope its additional functionality they may add in the future.

I have not sat in the car longer than about half hour so not sure about keeping the HVAC on for long periods.

However, @brem93 appears to have done it, and didn't mention any particular difficulty. Also Bjorn Nyland slept in a Trophy at the actual arctic circle with snow visible on the nearby hills, and didn't say anything about freezing his bits off because the car turned itself off.

So what's the trick that's so obvious neither of these guys even thought it was worth mentioning?

Also, what is this magnetic blackout material? (OK I just did some googling on that and there's a ton of stuff available. Not quite sure how you fix it to cover the lights is all.)

Last edited:
I'm re-posting the video where Bjorn camps in the car, set to begin at the point where he does that.

He says the HVAC stayed on all night, and that it was in effect in camp mode. Maybe because he was actually inside the car and had locked it from the inside? I just left the key in the car and walked away without locking it, and it turned off.

He doesn't mention the lights, but since he was under the midnight sun I suppose he didn't care - they wouldn't have been particularly obvious at 3 am during the Norwegian white nights. He started at 96% and the car was on 90% in the morning, nearly six hours later. He started with the HVAC set to 27ºC but turned it down to 24º because it was getting too hot in the middle of the night. (Mind you that car he was in would have had a heat pump.) Also, despite the nearby snow it was actually fairly warm out. I know he used 20% of his Tesla's battery camping in extreme cold, with the window insulation fitted.

There's a lot more in that video than I realised, last time I watched it. Practically a how-to manual. The way he tells it, it seems to be the locking from the inside that keeps everything on. He actually said "this car is more or less made for camping" (although he may not have noticed the lights staying on, given the ambient). I suppose I need to try it for real and actually sit in the back of the car with the doors locked from the inside, rather than trying to fake it.

Apart from the stealth issue , the lights draw some current during a whole night , Has anybody tried to get the front lights fuses off and see if the rest of the car remains usable
( we could need some heating with low temperatures at night )

I don't think the amount the lights draw can be very significant. Bjorn only used 6% of that battery all night, including having the heating on, and the lights would for sure have been on even if he didn't notice that they were.

Hi!

I have yet to find any Information is it possible to put car in utility or camping mode?

I am thinking of buying MG4 long range and want to use car for sleeping in it also so, is there a mode like this in this car?
Not heard of a sleeping mode, but it is possible to power everything off providing P position has been selected

The point is that you don't want to power everything off, you want the HVAC to stay on. Which it appears it will do if you lock the doors from inside, although I haven't actually tried that yet.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back