Slow Charger 230V 6A current consumption-Solar Inverter

Maya

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Since there is no provision within the car to set the charging speed, I was wondering if anybody has bought the 3rd party charger which can switch between 6A, 8A, 10A, 13A, 16A current setting-user selectable.

I'm interested in this mainly because I'm looking for a low rated solar inverter to charge up my ZS EV.

Any thoughts?

Since there is no provision within the car to set the charging speed, I was wondering if anybody has bought the 3rd party charger which can switch between 6A, 8A, 10A, 13A, 16A current setting-user selectable.

I'm interested in this mainly because I'm looking for a low rated solar inverter to charge up my ZS EV.

Any thoughts?
I bought a third party charger capable of setting amps from 8, 12,15,25 to 32. Our domestic system here is 240volts 10amps. Had a new 32 amp circuit put in to allow me to use a charger at home.

I have constantly use the charger on 15 amps. That allows me to charge the vehicle at 20km range for every hour of charge. My charger has no timer - it simply has a delay feature which allows me to delay the start of the charge. I charge in our off peak period. For example, I delay the start of the charge until 10pm, knowing that I will use the car at 8am the next morning. That 10 hour period gives me 200km's of range. If I need more or less I manage the delay knowing that I will get 20km's for every hour on charge.

I have experimented with 25 and 32 amps, but have never found the need to use these setting because 15 amps work for my needs.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply.

In my city-Bangalore, there is a fixed charge 24/7 for electricity in residential houses.

I was planning on getting a 6A charger and hook it up to a 2kW solar inverter. Not much, 6A charger will probably give me 6-7kms every hour. But it is super cost-effective. Turns out I'll need to spend about 1k Pounds only (for the batteries, 6A charger, inverter and solar panels).

Charging a car at home depends on so many variables. How far do you have
to travel in an day? How long can you charge during the availability of your solar input? Based on your numbers to provide 200kms of charge, you will have to charge for about 33 hours. So much depends on your usage. You mentioned batteries? If you are talking about solar batteries - they are almost unattainable here in Australia. A 13 kwh solar battery costs about 14k with only a 10 year warranty. It is simply not cost effective for me to go down that path. Maybe one day!

I have a 10kw solar system at home. During summer it generates from 7am to 6pm plus, and unfortunately I am not at home to take advantage of it.

Love to hear how you get on.

Hi.

The sync EV charger has this facility.

You can set from 6a up to 32a in increments of 1a it can be changed whilst charging without interruption.

I bought a third party charger capable of setting amps from 8, 12,15,25 to 32. Our domestic system here is 240volts 10amps. Had a new 32 amp circuit put in to allow me to use a charger at home.

I have constantly use the charger on 15 amps. That allows me to charge the vehicle at 20km range for every hour of charge. My charger has no timer - it simply has a delay feature which allows me to delay the start of the charge. I charge in our off peak period. For example, I delay the start of the charge until 10pm, knowing that I will use the car at 8am the next morning. That 10 hour period gives me 200km's of range. If I need more or less I manage the delay knowing that I will get 20km's for every hour on charge.

I have experimented with 25 and 32 amps, but have never found the need to use these setting because 15 amps work for my needs.

Hope this helps

Same here I bought an adjustable charger but never really needed more than the 16A setting for our needs, I've only tried the higher settings to see that it worked OK. The unit is now £20 cheaper than when I bought it in March 2021. Fenkee IP65 adjustable EVSE

Any thoughts?
I have a mobile charger for 200 EUR that does that. You can change the speed only when the charging stopped, not during charging. The other option is to let the charger run at max. speed 16A and change the max charging current in the MG, that also works.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom