Smart charger or not?

Electrician turned up a few hours early before I'd the chance to lift floorboards etc. He was happy enough that I'd identified a route etc. He lifted a few floorboards and I gave him a hand fishing under the joists. He's working away on the box now the cables in

intelligent octopus is now looking like a good tarriff but at present you can’t have for most chargers.. hope they’ll add Podpoint soon
for me the convenience of tethered wins, but check how close you can get before decidIng cable length

Now that grants for homeowners are gone. Having missed out due to lack of slots available when ordering my 5 a week before the 31st March deadline. I'm looking into get a home 7kwh charger installed now.

I've been quoted £620 for a basic untethered 'dumb' charger or £950 for a smart hypervolt charger. I'm on economy 7 so get my night rate is 7p cheaper than day rate which strangely is the same price as the anytime rate with my electric supplier.

If I'm charging on average between once and twice a week is it worth the extra outlay for the smart charger? I'm leaning towards this mainly as its tethered so no faff getting my type 2 cable out every time I charge
I have mg 5 long range 12 weeks old and using my old ev tethered charger from my two Renault zoes and now fitted a 63amp WiFi breaker set time for 12.30am to 4.30am every night then plug it in when I'm ready to charge to the car to me better than setting timer on the car is WiFi charger

Now that grants for homeowners are gone. Having missed out due to lack of slots available when ordering my 5 a week before the 31st March deadline. I'm looking into get a home 7kwh charger installed now.

I've been quoted £620 for a basic untethered 'dumb' charger or £950 for a smart hypervolt charger. I'm on economy 7 so get my night rate is 7p cheaper than day rate which strangely is the same price as the anytime rate with my electric supplier.

If I'm charging on average between once and twice a week is it worth the extra outlay for the smart charger? I'm leaning towards this mainly as its tethered so no faff getting my type 2 cable out every time I charge

My house is also a 1970s build and the fuse box and electric supply are under the stairs in the middle of the premises. Does anyone know what way this is wired through the house? Is it under floorboards or will I have an armoured cable running along some walls?
Where is the meter? If that's outside you may be able to add a small new box to split out a separately protected circuit for the charger somewhere near the meter. You'll want a good sparky.

I have a Zappi charger and when I use the eco+ setting it looks to see when the solar panels are producing in surplus of my house needs then. it charges the car. I think when I get a house battery fitted the combination of PV & battery will really suit a very smart charger.

for me the convenience of tethered wins, but check how close you can get before decidIng cable length
But not just for this car. Also consider the next one might have its port in the diagonally furthest corner.

Last edited:
I have mg 5 long range 12 weeks old and using my old ev tethered charger from my two Renault zoes and now fitted a 63amp WiFi breaker set time for 12.30am to 4.30am every night then plug it in when I'm ready to charge to the car to me better than setting timer on the car is WiFi charger
How do you set the timer on the car ? (I also have an MG5 LR).

My house is also a 1970s build and the fuse box and electric supply are under the stairs in the middle of the premises. Does anyone know what way this is wired through the house? Is it under floorboards or will I have an armoured cable running along some walls?
My house sounds the same as yours
Concrete floors and the ceiling joists run completely the wrong way.So looks like I'll have cable running along the top of a wall .I'll see if can be trunked

Get yourself a Tethered charger in my opinion these are the best

So looks like I'll have cable running along the top of a wall .I'll see if can be trunked

There's no reason that it cannot be put into trunking, just that 6mm² T+E is generally quite large overall, typically 14x7mm.

It doesn't sound too difficult. Offer to take up and reinstate the floor boards etc.
What form of Earth does your house have? Does it say PME on the head?

dno_meter_board.jpg

The picture above is a typical PME with the Earth being provided from one of the concentric conductors of the supply. Do you know the size of the main fuse fitted (not the capacity of the service head) at C and do you have a main isolator around H on the picture?
Don’t think your cables are thick enough. I have a 1930s house but got rewired in 2000. Still had to have a separate isolator switch installed and an isolator to the charger. New cables and isolators didn’t cost me any more but did have a problem with the first isolator install as the electrician left a loose connection inside the company head/fuse. When the second contractor came to rig the device on my outside wall, found the short but wouldn’t touch the company head fuse and got me to phone the network company to have a look. Fortunatel, they came at 10pm that day and fixed it within 15 minutes free of charge. So whilst it took longer than expected, now very happy with my Zappi which charges my mark I perfectly…

Don’t think your cables are thick enough.

That's not my house, just an example from the web. But I agree, those look like 16mm² or less and you really should have 25mm² unless restricting usage to 60A or less.

did have a problem with the first isolator install as the electrician left a loose connection inside the company head/fuse.

Glad that nothing significant happened, that sort of thing can lead to fires. No doubt it was all hushed up.....

got me to phone the network company to have a look. Fortunatel, they came at 10pm that day and fixed it within 15 minutes free of charge.

All's well that ends well. DNOs are very quick to react to dangers like that. Have they put their official seal back on the service head fuse?

That's not my house, just an example from the web. But I agree, those look like 16mm² or less and you really should have 25mm² unless restricting usage to 60A or less.

Glad that nothing significant happened, that sort of thing can lead to fires. No doubt it was all hushed up.....

All's well that ends well. DNOs are very quick to react to dangers like that. Have they put their official seal back on the service head fuse?
Yep all done and dusted. The funny thing was that when the installer found the short and I asked about fire risk, he said ‘no…’?
Wasn’t going yo take any chances so turned it off anyway - the fridge was the only problem but it was only off for a couple of hours and still cold when they switched it all back on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom