So close to being locked out of my car

Mr Savage

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I parked my car and took a walk around a lovely coastal path. It was windy so I wore my jacket. When I returned to my car I pushed the button on the trunk and threw my jacked in, then closed the door. I heard the door lock itself so I went for my keys only to realize they were in my jacket.

Now, in my old car. I could do the same thing, but the car unlocked all the doors when I pressed the button and didn't lock again automatically when the door was closed.

So here I am, with the keys locked inside my car. I tried opening the trunk door again only to be greeted by my car alarm, shaming me. Luckily didn't take me many seconds to find a solution because I had my phone on me. So I opened the app and unlocked the car from there, snagged my key back, and drove the car home.

I didn't think it was possible to lock the keys in the car like this. My old car would sense that there are some keys inside the car.

Is this a known issue, or was I just unlucky?

1683174577014.png

To be honest this sounds like normal behaviour from the car. If you were driving and stopped somewhere, the doors can’t be opened from outside, as they would be locked. In the scenario the OP mentions, the doors were locked and he opened the boot, which we all know means the rest of the car remains locked, and once the boot is closed again, the car returns to the fully locked state.

I think the car has probably behaved as designed, and re locked itself. Once that happens, it won’t allow the key within it to be used to open the boot from outside.

To be honest this sounds like normal behaviour from the car. If you were driving and stopped somewhere, the doors can’t be opened from outside, as they would be locked. In the scenario the OP mentions, the doors were locked and he opened the boot, which we all know means the rest of the car remains locked, and once the boot is closed again, the car returns to the fully locked state.

I think the car has probably behaved as designed, and re locked itself. Once that happens, it won’t allow the key within it to be used to open the boot from outside.
Done the same, golf bag & trolley next to boot, open boot bag with keys inside put in boot, close hole car locked, phone in pocket 🤷‍♂️, we live & learn.

The sensitivity of the key detector matters here too ... it is highly likely that the detector only covers the cabin space. (In some cars the detector only covers the front seats area - e.g. a Volvo V60 PHEV I was looking at previously as a company car had key detection for the front seats only on some trims, and only the higher trims had it cover the whole cabin).

I parked my car and took a walk around a lovely coastal path. It was windy so I wore my jacket. When I returned to my car I pushed the button on the trunk and threw my jacked in, then closed the door. I heard the door lock itself so I went for my keys only to realize they were in my jacket.

Now, in my old car. I could do the same thing, but the car unlocked all the doors when I pressed the button and didn't lock again automatically when the door was closed.

So here I am, with the keys locked inside my car. I tried opening the trunk door again only to be greeted by my car alarm, shaming me. Luckily didn't take me many seconds to find a solution because I had my phone on me. So I opened the app and unlocked the car from there, snagged my key back, and drove the car home.

I didn't think it was possible to lock the keys in the car like this. My old car would sense that there are some keys inside the car.

Is this a known issue, or was I just unlucky?

View attachment 17308
I'm always worried my husband will do this. What app is that please because I can't find an app that is compatible with my mg5 ev . Thanks in advance.

Lucky you! If that happened to me I'd be completely stranded. I'd somehow have to get home to retrieve the spare key. This is fair warning to make sure that never happens to me.

I'm always worried my husband will do this. What app is that please because I can't find an app that is compatible with my mg5 ev . Thanks in advance.
If yours is the original MG5 (i.e. not the facelift version with the new 10.25" Infotainment screen) then the iSMART app is not compatible with your car.

In other words - unless you bought your MG5 brand new within the last few months then you have the original version, so no iSMART app.

I'm thinking there may be a snag there somewhere... ;)

This hack is only going to work for us girls I'm afraid, but it's working for me.

I simply tucked the key inside my bra when I got dressed in the morning. It warmed up to body heat and I'm not even aware of it being there.

No comment?

The general point is that everyone wears some items of clothing they are not normally going to take off. if the key can be securely attached to an item like that, or securely carried within it, problem solved. Pin it to the waistband of your y-fronts or something, guys.

I simply tucked the key inside my bra when I got dressed in the morning. It warmed up to body heat and I'm not even aware of it being there.
What happens when you do cartwheels on the pub table after a few bevvies? 🤣

My car and house keys are always either in my left trouser pocket or, now I've got a keyless entry car, in an RFID box. I don't put them in coat pockets, throw them on the side or table at home or when visiting friends, pubs etc. Everything else, phone, money, hankie, go into my right trouser pocket.

What happens when you do cartwheels on the pub table after a few bevvies? 🤣

My car and house keys are always either in my left trouser pocket or, now I've got a keyless entry car, in an RFID box. I don't put them in coat pockets, throw them on the side or table at home or when visiting friends, pubs etc. Everything else, phone, money, hankie, go into my right trouser pocket.
I keep mine in a faraday (car key signal blocking) pouch in my trouser pocket after I’ve locked the car. My spare key is also in a faraday pouch. A friend of mine had his BMW stolen (joyriders who eventually crashed it at a roundabout) by thieves who used a signal boosting device to gain entry. He now uses a faraday pouch with his new car.
IMG_6497.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 488 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel