So, picked up the car but...

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it when it was plugged in after that first (and only) work trip, I take photos and record everything constantly now!
FYI: 102.8miles 42mph 3.0m/kWh, 16miles on GOM. -3c Eco obvs, no heating on at all.
The Friday was even colder hence why she wouldn't drive it.
(I've suggested dressing warmer lol)

View attachment 1510

Also in -3, with heater and AC on for the whole journey. Heated seats in use for the first 30 mins or so. 110.3 miles, average 42mph, 2.9 mi/kWh, 16 miles remaining in eco.

Something doesn’t add up with the efficiency figure you’re being shown.

I hope you came upon "Guess o'meter" in your search!😉
3+3, is 3 red blobs of heat and 3 blobs of fan speed. That is enough for the most of winter driving, and some time you can lower it, if it is to much. We are all different in how we like it in the car🤗
"Blobs" and "Guess o'meter": 21st century driving! 🤣

View attachment 1510

Also in -3, with heater and AC on for the whole journey. Heated seats in use for the first 30 mins or so. 110.3 miles, average 42mph, 2.9 mi/kWh, 16 miles remaining in eco.

Something doesn’t add up with the efficiency figure you’re being shown.
That is very useful.
Definitely does not add up.
That would suggest you have more battery capacity available than we do.

Yours: 110.3+16= 126.3miles total range @ 2.9m/kWh = 43.55kWh of battery capacity available to use.
Ours: 102.8+16= 118.8miles total range @ 3.0m/kWh = 39.6kWh of battery capacity available to use.

What version of BMS do you have / what's your fully charged voltage?

The only thing I can think of is, regen. Obviously that gives you power back to reuse.
But how does that factor into the figures given??
If we're only supposed to have 42.5kWh of battery available to us, then your figure of 43.55kWh would maybe suggest you've generated 1.05kWh of regen power?
If our figure of 39.6kWh includes regen power, then our actual usable battery capacity is even less than that?

Need a damn battery capacity kWh remaining in dash, along with a figure showing regen kWh in journey computer.

July BMS, takes forever to balance but shows 455-457v after doing so.

If we use the state of charge as a guide, just over 10% with the 16 miles on the GOM. 90% of 42.5 is 38.25 - 2.884m/kWh over 110.3 miles.

I think 2.7 miles per KW is about right for this time of year and your speed 70/75 and everything on, try not using the heater on such a high setting and use the heated seat instead. With most EV's they don't have the range of an ICE car so planning is essential, I use zap map to ensure that I never have less than 25% in the car, with regards to your wife's round trip are there any charging stations at the end of her outward leg. I've had mine nearly a year with only one nightmare when the charging station was faulty and had to travel 10 miles to the next one

Hi @MrG .

I’m sorry to hear you had such a difficult journey home on Saturday.

I’m pretty sure you got off the same Metro train as me and walked to Vic Youngs just behind me as I collected my ZS EV that morning too..!
It was the red one that my sales guy Jack had to move to let you get your black one out of the charging space. I’d guessed that it might be you after your sales guy mentioned you were driving back to London.

I would have come over to say hello but was a bit pre-occupied as my ‘new car’ experience was nearly spoiled by HSBC declining my debit card transaction 3 times, despite the money sitting in my account waiting to be spent. It took me 40 mins on the phone with them, 2 bank transfers and a card payment to be able to finally drive my car away ! Just for comparison my car was showing 455v and the GOM was initially reading about 142 miles on a max charge, so don’t worry as I’m sure your battery will be around the same once it’s 100% charged.

Driving home to the Wirral, about 180 miles, was a bit less dramatic than your journey though by the sound of it. I’d factored in 1 stop after 90 odd miles in Lancaster but realised pretty quickly that might be a bit ambitious, so left myself 30 miles in the ‘tank’ and stopped after 80 miles. Another stop on the M6 before Liverpool got me home with about 45 miles on the GOM.

As everyone’s been recommending I was trying various settings on the HVAC and heated seats on/off to keep it comfortable and to see what it did to the range and am confident it will suit our needs, especially when the weather warms up and the range improves. I’ve since granny charged from midday Sunday until this morning for 100% charge and again it showed 455v and GOM read 150 miles on ‘normal’.

I think we all suffer buyers remorse to some extent, especially after spending over £20k on a car, but my overall feeling is a positive one and I am loving the car so far.

I hope your experience with the car improves and once we get used to ‘electric’ driving I’m sure we’ll enjoy many years of happy EV ownership.

Last edited:
Hi @MrG .

I’m pretty sure you got off the same Metro train as me and walked to Vic Youngs just behind me as I collected my ZS EV that morning too..!
It was the red one that my sales guy Jack had to move to let you get your black one out of the charging space. I’d guessed that it might be you after your sales guy mentioned you were driving back to London.

I would have come over to say hello but was a bit pre-occupied as my ‘new car’ experience was nearly spoiled by HSBC declining my debit card transaction 3 times, despite the money sitting in my account waiting to be spent. It took me 40 mins on the phone with them, 2 bank transfers and a card payment to be able to finally drive my car away ! Just for comparison my car was showing 455v and the GOM was initially reading about 142 miles on a max charge, so don’t worry as I’m sure your battery will be around the same once it’s 100% charged.

Driving home to the Wirral, about 180 miles, was a bit less dramatic than your journey though by the sound of it. I’d factored in 1 stop after 90 odd miles in Lancaster but realised pretty quickly that might be a bit ambitious, so left myself 30 miles in the ‘tank’ and stopped after 80 miles. Another stop on the M6 before Liverpool got me home with about 45 miles on the GOM.

As everyone’s been recommending I was trying various settings on the HVAC and heated seats on/off to keep it comfortable and to see what it did to the range and am confident it will suit our needs, especially when the weather warms up and the range improves. I’ve since granny charged from midday Sunday until this morning for 100% charge and again it showed 455v and GOM read 150 miles on ‘normal’.

I think we all suffer buyers remorse to some extent, especially after spending over £20k on a car, but my overall feeling is a positive one and I am loving the car so far.

I hope your experience with the car improves and once we get used to ‘electric’ driving I’m sure we’ll enjoy many years of happy EV ownership.
Ha ha! How funny!!! Yes, I do remember seeing you turn the same way as me out of the station and then spotting that distinctive red jacket picking up the car too! That's crazy!! Well, glad to make your acquaintance, mate.

In contrast to you, my payment was the smoothest part of Saturday! Glad to hear it was okay in the end and you got to drive away on the day. My car wasn't fully charged so, as you say, hopefully I'll mirror the figures you got.

I think it will suit our needs too as we will largely be using it for my 20 mile round trip to work, local shopping, family who are within a 20 mile radius and then day trips, most of which I can see being within 50 miles. Longer staycations will need more planning, but that's to be expected.

I tried granny charging for eight hours on Sunday but had to stop in the evening as we have to pop the cable through the window in the absence of an outside socket. My wife is working in the room with the closest socket too so couldn't restart today. Maybe tomorrow, if the temperature picks up a bit. Did you do the equalisation thingy (my technical knowledge knows no ends) or just get to 100% and stop?

Likewise nice to have seen you at least, if not met you properly..!

I've never been so embarrassed trying to buy something with money that I knew was in my account. The woman from HSBC could tell I was majorly p**sed off and offered £50 compensation for the delay they caused.

You're right in that it's all about the planning for longer journeys. The week before collection I was getting a bit paranoid about charging and where to stop, but it all came together on the day mainly thanks to Zap Map (and watching loads of YouTube clips).

Yes I left it charging for about 17 hours as shown on the display and I saw at the end the mg badge LEDs were steady and no longer pulsing. In the morning the car just showed 'connected but not charging' and the granny box had 2 flashing LEDs, I think to confirm the charge (and equalisation) had finished.

Anyway enjoy your car @MrG ..!

Likewise nice to have seen you at least, if not met you properly..!

I've never been so embarrassed trying to buy something with money that I knew was in my account. The woman from HSBC could tell I was majorly p**sed off and offered £50 compensation for the delay they caused.

You're right in that it's all about the planning for longer journeys. The week before collection I was getting a bit paranoid about charging and where to stop, but it all came together on the day mainly thanks to Zap Map (and watching loads of YouTube clips).

Yes I left it charging for about 17 hours as shown on the display and I saw at the end the mg badge LEDs were steady and no longer pulsing. In the morning the car just showed 'connected but not charging' and the granny box had 2 flashing LEDs, I think to confirm the charge (and equalisation) had finished.

Anyway enjoy your car @MrG ..!
Hi Phil. Did you check if the badge was steady glowing when you unplugged or off? To me it sounds like the equalisation was not finished. The car report that is finished, mine do to, but if the charger is still blinking it is still doing the equalisation process.

Hi @MrG .

I'm really not saying this to worry you, but...
If you have just picked the car up this weekend and it has a voltage of 455 after fully charging, then the dealership have not applied the latest BMS update to your car before they gave it to you.
You can "only" get the car to fully charge to 450v with the latest software.

I would give the dealer a call if I were you, they should be able to lookup what software your car has using the vin.

Hi Phil. Did you check if the badge was steady glowing when you unplugged or off? To me it sounds like the equalisation was not finished. The car report that is finished, mine do to, but if the charger is still blinking it is still doing the equalisation process.
Hi @Jeps.

I think I noticed the badge was steady glowing early in morning, then when I finally unplugged it the badge was no longer on and granny charge box had 2 blinking LEDs. Centre display was 'connected but not charging'. I thought this meant it had finished charge and equalisation..?

I'm really not saying this to worry you, but...
If you have just picked the car up this weekend and it has a voltage of 455 after fully charging, then the dealership have not applied the latest BMS update to your car before they gave it to you.
You can "only" get the car to fully charge to 450v with the latest software.

I would give the dealer a call if I were you, they should be able to lookup what software your car has using the vin.
Hi @JodyS21.

Oh ok. I thought it meant the car did not get the 'bad' update that reduced battery range but should have had the latest maybe..?

I'm not going to get too hung up about it unless my range after a full charge looks too low. After the 100% granny charge it showed I had over 150 miles on 'standard' mode, which I'm happy with tbh..

Hi @JodyS21.

Oh ok. I thought it meant the car did not get the 'bad' update that reduced battery range but should have had the latest maybe..?

I'm not going to get too hung up about it unless my range after a full charge looks too low. After the 100% granny charge it showed I had over 150 miles on 'standard' mode, which I'm happy with tbh..
I think I'm of the same mindset, Phil. If the range is fine, then I'm sticking with it. The update saga is one less worry to have to contend with!

Can you do an equalisation charge with the 7kw home charger? Or must it be with the granny charger?

I think I'm of the same mindset, Phil. If the range is fine, then I'm sticking with it. The update saga is one less worry to have to contend with!

Can you do an equalisation charge with the 7kw home charger? Or must it be with the granny charger?
It will also complete on the 7 KWh charger too.

It will also complete on the 7 KWh charger too.
Thanks Mark. Good to hear as the lack of outside 3pin plug would have meant overnight granny charges to attempt equalisation would have been impossible. Ohme charger should be installed next week so that will help significantly with this.

@PhilYerBoots / @MrG
I REALLY am not trying to worry you!
but herein lies the problem......

If your car has the 15/1/2021 fixed BMS. It will only charge to 450V.

If your car has the 24/10/2020 BMS update, then it is going to cause your battery to become, lets say screwed! Then you really do need to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

If your car only has the 7/2020 BMS update, then this allows some other smart chargers to work properly with the car & allows you to AC change unlocked. This update does contain a bug which can mean the car takes ages to balance charge - but this isn't the end of the world & I'd potentially leave it alone for now.

If your car hasn't either of the above (v.unlikely) then you're ok but just missing some charging functionality which may not matter to you at all.

Don't panic, worst case you've got the 24/10 duff bms bug and as you've not used your car much yet it won't have had much/if any chance to start causing the battery issues.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Good to hear as the lack of outside 3pin plug would have meant overnight granny charges to attempt equalisation would have been impossible. Ohme charger should be installed next week so that will help significantly with this.
Fundamentally, it's an AC charge vs ("rapid") DC charge.
If you're ever using the cars onboard AC to DC charger it will do the balancing charge - if you're not sure then - top plug/socket only means AC.
If you're using an external (rapid) DC charger, it will not do a balancing charge, plus it'll only charge up super fast to about 80% capacity and then slow down - if you're not sure then - top&bottom plug/socket being used means its a DC charge.
connectors-overview-eng.png

:)

Hi @Jeps.

I think I noticed the badge was steady glowing early in morning, then when I finally unplugged it the badge was no longer on and granny charge box had 2 blinking LEDs. Centre display was 'connected but not charging'. I thought this meant it had finished charge and equalisation..?
The " connected but not charging" appears a lot earlier in the process. The balancing is a process that starts after 100% is reached. I was also fooled by that message in the display. But I could see my wallbox was still blinking as it was still charging. Now I know I have too look for the glowing badge, or if my wallbox stops charging. It would be nice if the display showed "Balancing"

@PhilYerBoots / @MrG
I REALLY am not trying to worry you!
but herein lies the problem......

If your car has the 15/1/2020 fixed BMS. It will only charge to 450V.

If your car has the 24/10/2020 BMS update, then it is going to cause your battery to become, lets say screwed! Then you really do need to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

If your car only has the 7/2020 BMS update, then this allows some other smart chargers to work properly with the car & allows you to AC change unlocked. This update does contain a bug which can mean the car takes ages to balance charge - but this isn't the end of the world & I'd potentially leave it alone for now.

If your car hasn't either of the above (v.unlikely) then you're ok but just missing some charging functionality which may not matter to you at all.

Don't panic, worst case you've got the 24/10 duff bms bug and as you've not used your car much yet it won't have had much/if any chance to start causing the battery issues.
Well, the only way to test is to do a full charge! Got about 60% on battery now so will probably wait until weekend and then we shall see. Naturally, the dealer said everything was fine...

Fundamentally, it's an AC charge vs ("rapid") DC charge.
If you're ever using the cars onboard AC to DC charger it will do the balancing charge - if you're not sure then - top plug/socket only means AC.
If you're using an external (rapid) DC charger, it will not do a balancing charge, plus it'll only charge up super fast to about 80% capacity and then slow down - if you're not sure then - top&bottom plug/socket being used means its a DC charge.
View attachment 1528
:)
Makes sense. So, in essence:
Rapid charger-great for speedy charging. No balancing.
Granny or 7kw charger (if installed at home, even better)-slower charge but will complete balancing if kept on until badge starts glowing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom