So, picked up the car but...

Makes sense. So, in essence:
Rapid charger-great for speedy charging. No balancing.
Granny or 7kw charger (if installed at home, even better)-slower charge but will complete balancing if kept on until badge starts glowing.
Stops glowing😉

It's good your learning. But you should also enjoy your Smooth new ride on the road🤩. How are you getting along? What did you drive before?

@PhilYerBoots / @MrG
I REALLY am not trying to worry you!
but herein lies the problem......

If your car has the 15/1/2020 fixed BMS. It will only charge to 450V.

If your car has the 24/10/2020 BMS update, then it is going to cause your battery to become, lets say screwed! Then you really do need to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

If your car only has the 7/2020 BMS update, then this allows some other smart chargers to work properly with the car & allows you to AC change unlocked. This update does contain a bug which can mean the car takes ages to balance charge - but this isn't the end of the world & I'd potentially leave it alone for now.

If your car hasn't either of the above (v.unlikely) then you're ok but just missing some charging functionality which may not matter to you at all.

Don't panic, worst case you've got the 24/10 duff bms bug and as you've not used your car much yet it won't have had much/if any chance to start causing the battery issues.
Think that the first one should read 15/01/2021 as that is the latest 'good' one

Makes sense. So, in essence:
Rapid charger-great for speedy charging. No balancing.
Granny or 7kw charger (if installed at home, even better)-slower charge but will complete balancing if kept on until badge starts glowing.
And cheaper than using rapid chargers...👍😄

It's good your learning. But you should also enjoy your Smooth new ride on the road🤩. How are you getting along? What did you drive before?
Like most people, we've got nowhere to go!! May pop to Sainsbury's in a bit but that's literally down the road!

We've got a 2009 Fiesta which we'll now be selling. It's a workhorse but no element of luxury to it whatsoever. (Although if you were to speak to some 'Name' snobs, they'd probably say the same about the MG...!)

Hi @MrG .

I’m sorry to hear you had such a difficult journey home on Saturday.

I’m pretty sure you got off the same Metro train as me and walked to Vic Youngs just behind me as I collected my ZS EV that morning too..!
It was the red one that my sales guy Jack had to move to let you get your black one out of the charging space. I’d guessed that it might be you after your sales guy mentioned you were driving back to London.

I would have come over to say hello but was a bit pre-occupied as my ‘new car’ experience was nearly spoiled by HSBC declining my debit card transaction 3 times, despite the money sitting in my account waiting to be spent. It took me 40 mins on the phone with them, 2 bank transfers and a card payment to be able to finally drive my car away ! Just for comparison my car was showing 455v and the GOM was initially reading about 142 miles on a max charge, so don’t worry as I’m sure your battery will be around the same once it’s 100% charged.

Driving home to the Wirral, about 180 miles, was a bit less dramatic than your journey though by the sound of it. I’d factored in 1 stop after 90 odd miles in Lancaster but realised pretty quickly that might be a bit ambitious, so left myself 30 miles in the ‘tank’ and stopped after 80 miles. Another stop on the M6 before Liverpool got me home with about 45 miles on the GOM.

As everyone’s been recommending I was trying various settings on the HVAC and heated seats on/off to keep it comfortable and to see what it did to the range and am confident it will suit our needs, especially when the weather warms up and the range improves. I’ve since granny charged from midday Sunday until this morning for 100% charge and again it showed 455v and GOM read 150 miles on ‘normal’.

I think we all suffer buyers remorse to some extent, especially after spending over £20k on a car, but my overall feeling is a positive one and I am loving the car so far.

I hope your experience with the car improves and once we get used to ‘electric’ driving I’m sure we’ll enjoy many years of happy EV ownership.
I was just going through my photos and realised I'd taken a video of the snow to send to the girls-I think I caught you on the video too!
PXL_20210216_132940024.jpg

Like most people, we've got nowhere to go!! May pop to Sainsbury's in a bit but that's literally down the road!

We've got a 2009 Fiesta which we'll now be selling. It's a workhorse but no element of luxury to it whatsoever. (Although if you were to speak to some 'Name' snobs, they'd probably say the same about the MG...!)
I am sure you will be very happy with the ZS EV.
At least you are not going to think about the manual stick anymore, and not to mention the Clutch 🤭

Yes that's me @MrG, trying not to go 'A over T' on the snow and ice and do any damage that might prevent me driving home..!

I am sure you will be very happy with the ZS EV.
At least you are not going to think about the manual stick anymore, and not to mention the Clutch 🤭
I hope we will get years of happy driving out of it. Reading some of the comments here is a bit disheartening with some not having the best experience with updates etc. I'm hoping that doesn't apply to our experience!

It can be a good.. or a bad thing to end up in a forum like this. Suddenly you hear about a lot numbers thrown up in the air🤔.
I am still not decided on whether this is a good or bad idea that MG has put the Voltage reading out on the display. If you have decided on another EV then the MG, then you will not have been reading about this Voltage number, I believe the MG ZS EV is one of the only car's to have that! For people who like to read into every number they can get hold of, then it is great I think, but to me it is just a number. My number seems to be Okey (still rising) so I try to put that aside and see what happens:)
Our first car had only 16 KW/h battery, and you couldn't read into much details on that car. But when I had that car under my skin, then it was pure love, it never let me down 😊

It can be a good.. or a bad thing to end up in a forum like this. Suddenly you hear about a lot numbers thrown up in the air🤔.
I am still not decided on whether this is a good or bad idea that MG has put the Voltage reading out on the display. If you have decided on another EV then the MG, then you will not have been reading about this Voltage number, I believe the MG ZS EV is one of the only car's to have that! For people who like to read into every number they can get hold of, then it is great I think, but to me it is just a number. My number seems to be Okey (still rising) so I try to put that aside and see what happens:)
Our first car had only 16 KW/h battery, and you couldn't read into much details on that car. But when I had that car under my skin, then it was pure love, it never let me down 😊
It's a good car for Rain Man. :)
tom cruise movie review GIF

Finally got around to a full charge this weekend and was pleasantly surprised with the figures. Got 457v at full charge, which translated to 173 miles on E, and 157 miles on N.

Went for a drive which totalled 41 miles, but only actually used 39 miles of range, even when switched to N with heating on at times! I'm chuffed with that! The increase in temperature will only make things even better!

It was all city driving, hence the low speeds, only reaching speed limit of 50mph on the North Circular Road. I was more aware of my driving style and used regen, rather than reaching for the brake pedal. Looking forward to more of the same!

Finally got around to a full charge this weekend and was pleasantly surprised with the figures. Got 457v at full charge, which translated to 173 miles on E, and 157 miles on N.

Went for a drive which totalled 41 miles, but only actually used 39 miles of range, even when switched to N with heating on at times! I'm chuffed with that! The increase in temperature will only make things even better!

It was all city driving, hence the low speeds, only reaching speed limit of 50mph on the North Circular Road. I was more aware of my driving style and used regen, rather than reaching for the brake pedal. Looking forward to more of the same!
That's great.

Don't forget the range calculation is based mainly on what was done under the accumulated trip, so resetting the accumulated trip will "reset" the "calculation" used. In theory (seems to) on full charge in Normal mode (nothing else on) will show the official 163mile range.

City driving/low speeds will get you the best range.
Are you getting used to regen 3, to get the best of it?

Don't leave it too long before you get the bms fix if you do start to notice your max voltage going down.

It's really great to hear you had a positive experience 👍😄 and you will get more now when the temperatures raises. A week ago we had -13 to -15, 3 night's in a row. The last two days we have had + 9 and +11 degrees in daytime, that is something that really helps on the range.
+ your new driving style will come you to great effect👍😄

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom