Software update woes broke my car

Ooooo thank you.
What I wanted to hear to match mine. A hope of getting off R30. Broken consumption graph and no Bluetooth/carplay mic (yet works for MG voice) to name a few of my bugs.
If you turn off "Hello MG", voice recognition with android auto works

My March 22 trophy has a recall for software updates and is booked into dealer to be completed later this month. It involves head unit and several module updates Including EVCC and BMS. I was in asking about possible updates to cure my list of irritations and they let me know a recall exists at that point so maybe give your dealer a call if you have issues

If you turn off "Hello MG", voice recognition with android auto works
I have tried with Hello MG on and off - for iOS CarPlay which made no difference 😞
Hello MG can hear me, yet phone cannot (Bluetooth or CarPlay).
Suggests the mic itself works… MG have ordered a replacement centre mic yet not confident that will fix it once here.

I have tried with Hello MG on and off - for iOS CarPlay which made no difference 😞
Hello MG can hear me, yet phone cannot (Bluetooth or CarPlay).
Suggests the mic itself works… MG have ordered a replacement centre mic yet not confident that will fix it once here.
You don't have to turn it off and on, but leave it off. In practice, if "Hello MG" is turned on, Android Auto voice recognition does not work (I imagine it's the same with CarPlay). If you turn it off, it works fine

It's a software problem, not the microphone

You don't have to turn it off and on, but leave it off. In practice, if "Hello MG" is turned on, Android Auto voice recognition does not work (I imagine it's the same with CarPlay). If you turn it off, it works fine

It's a software problem, not the microphone
Apologies - I mean as in yes tried it with both set to off and also when it was on.
No difference to CarPlay/bluetooth. Yet as the mic physically does work if using MG voice it definitely seemed software related.

I rang the dealer this afternoon and they told me that apparently when they updated it, it had caused issues with an o2 sensor apparently - wonder if it's the same issue? Mine is Also a Phase 2 Trophy... can't image they have much cause for air monitoring besides the HVAC (or maybe battery cooling?).

Either way, I'm due to hear more on Monday, so fingers crossed!

Wouldn't mind, I loved the test drive, was so excited to get it! 😓
O2 sensor? - those are usually on exhaust systems on petrol cars. I’d be very surprised if an EV has one anywhere as they only work at around 600°C

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my MG4 Trophy in September and whilst it is nice to drive, the software bugs are annoying. Here is what i have encountered so far:
  • The bluetooth connection is hit and miss and sometimes I just have to listen to my phone on speaker
  • When I connect via bluetooth or android auto, half the time the music plays but no sound
  • The screen flickers and goes completely blank every so often
  • The heating seems to be sending only code air unless I set the temp to maximum (26deg?)
  • The settings sometimes reset to default (e.g. setting battery to not charge beyond 80%)
  • The app only connects to the car ~80% of the time (and only one person can log in at a time! - me and wife share the car)
  • the LKA is a ropey..

I have booked it in for november and asking for a software. Now thinking maybe I should wait a while.

M

O2 sensor? - those are usually on exhaust systems on petrol cars. I’d be very surprised if an EV has one anywhere as they only work at around 600°C
Interesting, although i've only spoke to the Sales people so (giving them the benefit of the doubt) it might well be that they are just explaining something wrong... Or it's just total BS! :rolleyes:

Either way, I still don't have the car - i've pushed them to give me a courtesy car and to complete the deal (as if i get to the point of paying for MOT / TAX /Insurance for another year on my existing motor, i'll just keep it and cancel the deal for the 4 at this point).

Im happy to give them the time to deliver a fully working car, as long as I'm not footing the cost of running around in the meantime while they figure it out.

Ooooo thank you.
What I wanted to hear to match mine. A hope of getting off R30. Broken consumption graph and no Bluetooth/carplay mic (yet works for MG voice) to name a few of my bugs.
Not sure if I understood the issue correctly here, but if you want to get the car to understand commands in Android Auto you have to turn of "Hello MG" under the "system" section doing that enables "Hey Google" commands including phoning and Maps navigation. Perhaps this might give you something to try.

I've found while driving Android Auto disconnects itself and won't reconnect. Seems to be triggered by random interaction with the head unit. I usually hold Home key down till it resets and reconnects itself. It does pee me off that when working, the radio has to be found if listening to it previously. It should be on the Android auto screen, not kinda off it.

It seems to me that these things are bugging the Trophy a lot more than they're bugging the SE. But MG seem more pro-active in fixing Trophy faults, so there's hope!
Mine's an SE phase 1.

Not sure if I understood the issue correctly here, but if you want to get the car to understand commands in Android Auto you have to turn of "Hello MG" under the "system" section doing that enables "Hey Google" commands including phoning and Maps navigation. Perhaps this might give you something to try.
My car has “Hello MG” disabled yet CarPlay cannot hear me. Same issue if trying to speak to the phone via direct Bluetooth mode also.
The mic can work for MG voice, yet nothing else…

Bad luck that this happened to you, it does seem to happen occasionally with software updates.

MG China should be able to help your dealer restore the systems. The trouble is that they are either under-resourced or overloaded so this can take quite a while before you get a reply. Your dealer doesn't have anything they can do independently.

The software update system is a weak point with MG and - apart from their lack of communication - one of the biggest issues.

I hope it is resolved quickly.
I had 3 software updates installed in one visit. Whilst this has introduced a few gremlins, the most significant issue has been the complete non-working of Scheduled Charging - on the infotainment panel and the App. It means setting an alarm to wake at 12:27am ready for the start of off-peak charging, and again at 4:30am to switch off charging as it ignores the “charge to….. ” option. Surely this can’t be right? Any to add insult to injury, the car cannot be booked in for 3months - whilst my sleep deficit now falls into the danger zone!

My car has “Hello MG” disabled yet CarPlay cannot hear me. Same issue if trying to speak to the phone via direct Bluetooth mode also.
The mic can work for MG voice, yet nothing else…
Don't know if this is the same for all systems, but on mine (MG4 Trophy LR Phase 2), if I tap the voice assistant button, I can talk to Hello MG, and if I HOLD the button in, it talks to Android Auto.

Hope this helps!

I had 3 software updates installed in one visit. Whilst this has introduced a few gremlins, the most significant issue has been the complete non-working of Scheduled Charging - on the infotainment panel and the App. It means setting an alarm to wake at 12:27am ready for the start of off-peak charging, and again at 4:30am to switch off charging as it ignores the “charge to….. ” option. Surely this can’t be right? Any to add insult to injury, the car cannot be booked in for 3months - whilst my sleep deficit now falls into the danger zone!
If you are using a 'Granny charger'. Buy a Tapo smart plug. You can then schedule the charge (on and off) and also monitor the energy usage. Sleep well too.

TAPO Energy Monitoring Smart Plug

Don't know if this is the same for all systems, but on mine (MG4 Trophy LR Phase 2), if I tap the voice assistant button, I can talk to Hello MG, and if I HOLD the button in, it talks to Android Auto.

Hope this helps!
My Phase 1 SE SR works the same way. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums