Software update woes broke my car

I believe the main problem with software updates to the MG4 lies with the process with which the updates are applied by the dealer.

Now, hear me out on this, I (fingers crossed 🤞) have had all the software updates that have been uploaded to my car result in total success. By that I mean the process was successful and didn't cause any other problems, not necessarily that the software was particularly effective!

Because of that, I'm inclined to believe my dealer when he tells me that for a successful software update, they need to know which software modules, and their version numbers, have already been installed. They then need to install any additional updates in a specific order, otherwise all sorts of conflicts can arise. This is one of the main reasons we're not likely to see any OTA updates for some time yet!

Now, I'm not saying this is the answer to all the software woes, we all know how unreliable most of it is, but it may go some way in explaining why some updates fail so badly. If you have faith in your particular dealer, it may be wise to get all updates done by the same one so there is more chance of them having a record of your particular software status.

As I say, I don't claim this is the definitive answer as I can only go from my own personal experiences, but I'm currently running R46 infotainment (sorry, but no idea on the other control system versions). Other than the PIA that is LKA and the interminable time it takes for the main display to boot up, I'm happy with the software and how smoothly my updates were installed.

Having said all that, what's the betting the next time I switch on the radio, the wipers come on :ROFLMAO:!

I'm inclined to believe my dealer when he tells me that for a successful software update, they need to know which software modules, and their version numbers, have already been installed. They then need to install any additional updates in a specific order, otherwise all sorts of conflicts can arise. This is one of the main reasons we're not likely to see any OTA updates for some time yet!
I would have thought that this would be a reason that automated OTA updates could be safer and more reliable, assuming that HQ (which controls the updates) has all the dependencies sorted out. There might be some wrinkles like if there isn't time to finish the whole sequence and the car might in some circumstances be unusable when it is unexpectedly needed.

Perhaps Teslas have room for two firmwares, the existing and a new, so they can roll back instantly to an earlier, known safe configuration if necessary. I have no idea if MG ECUs can do that, or if it adds significant cost to be able to do so.

Thinking about it a little, Tesla's ability to update millions of cars, with many minor variations, all in parallel and not mess up (that I've ever heard of) is pretty remarkable.

I believe the main problem with software updates to the MG4 lies with the process with which the updates are applied by the dealer.

Now, hear me out on this, I (fingers crossed 🤞) have had all the software updates that have been uploaded to my car result in total success. By that I mean the process was successful and didn't cause any other problems, not necessarily that the software was particularly effective!

Because of that, I'm inclined to believe my dealer when he tells me that for a successful software update, they need to know which software modules, and their version numbers, have already been installed. They then need to install any additional updates in a specific order, otherwise all sorts of conflicts can arise. This is one of the main reasons we're not likely to see any OTA updates for some time yet!

Now, I'm not saying this is the answer to all the software woes, we all know how unreliable most of it is, but it may go some way in explaining why some updates fail so badly. If you have faith in your particular dealer, it may be wise to get all updates done by the same one so there is more chance of them having a record of your particular software status.

As I say, I don't claim this is the definitive answer as I can only go from my own personal experiences, but I'm currently running R46 infotainment (sorry, but no idea on the other control system versions). Other than the PIA that is LKA and the interminable time it takes for the main display to boot up, I'm happy with the software and how smoothly my updates were installed.

Having said all that, what's the betting the next time I switch on the radio, the wipers come on :ROFLMAO:!
@Miles Roberts CG said pretty much exactly that in one of the podcasts. :)

Don't know if this is the same for all systems, but on mine (MG4 Trophy LR Phase 2), if I tap the voice assistant button, I can talk to Hello MG, and if I HOLD the button in, it talks to Android Auto.

Hope this helps!
Yes I know.
It is when holding the button for Siri it can’t hear me and same if I answer a call - I can hear the caller, yet they cannot hear me… If only using the phone direct via bluetooth for a call it’s the same issue.

Dealer tested it too and has the same problem with their phones yet has only suggested changing the mic unit so far - still waiting on progress/callback.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back