Someone is on a 'normal' standard tariff, why would they buy an MG4 in this example?

Better as in ~ 19 tonnes of CO2e per lifecycle for a BEV, compared to 24 for a 'standard' petrol car, 'better' as in ~ 80% as much?

The inconvenient truth about Electric cars

@4ND
Why on earth do you think people should be compelled to answer your questions?
This is a forum for discussion, not a courtroom.
Hi,
No one is 'compelled' to do anything, just asked.
Just as I'm sure you'll agree a forum maybe isn't to ask/suggest a fellow member to shut themselves in a garage with the engine running.
You may have forgot to mention that one though

Ahhh, but do you take your own painted balance weights?
No, as they'd probably get put on crooked and wasted! But I have been known to mark the position and then change out badly fitted balance weights before! Sometimes wish I couldn't care less like mostly every one else!

Hi,
No one is 'compelled' to do anything, just asked.
Just as I'm sure you'll agree a forum maybe isn't to ask/suggest a fellow member to shut themselves in a garage with the engine running.
You may have forgot to mention that one though
It's odd that you get so many of these reactions though isn't it? What could be causing this? Plus reports and warning from moderator. Strange that. Still, you got your "seriously likeable award" :unsure:

It's odd that you get so many of these reactions though isn't it? What could be causing this? Strange that. Still, you got your "seriously likeable award" :unsure:
An inability not to get agitated at others' valid viewpoints maybe?

Maybe my seriously likeable award arose from my refusal to reciprocate derogatory comments :unsure:

Last edited:
Still don't answer the question
You still havent done the toxic garage test HAVE YOU? Is there a problem with breathing the toxins your car produces, surely not? Lets have a bit of a laugh with a statistically representative Climate Change debate.

Better as in ~ 19 tonnes of CO2e per lifecycle for a BEV, compared to 24 for a 'standard' petrol car, 'better' as in ~ 80% as much?

No, better as in far, far, lower than that flawed and incomplete study would suggest. For example my own electricity use case is 100% renewable, so it's way lower than that study suggests.

But, even using the example provided, better is better.

Moving away from global issues, locally do you ever walk along any roads in any town or city at rush hour? It's revolting. Now imagine most of those vehicles not blowing out all that s**t and how much better your walk would be.

Last edited:
An inability not to get agitated at others' valid viewpoints maybe?

Maybe my seriously likeable award arose from my refusal to reciprocate derogatory comments :unsure:
I hate to burst your bubble 4ND, but everyone gets a seriously likeable award after a few posts and replies! :ROFLMAO: It doesn't actually mean everyone loves you lol!! (although, I sort of do, even though you've far to travel on your journey to enlightenment...)

Last edited:
I think sometimes EV converts can come across a little like ex-smokers, we can get too worked up about how others just don't get it. We should remember an immense lobby of entrenched fossil fuel interests have and continue to saturate the information people take in, creating many like 4WD. Most will come around eventually and those who don't will get dealt with by the eventual ban.

I suspect it was similar in the 60's when die hard smokers continued to believe smoking was just great and all those do good hippy bas***ds should mind their own business... well right until the point they actually... died hard, from lung cancer!

This post is aimed at no one in particular and hands up, off topic. I am now 54 years old and can be opinionated (I know, hard to believe). One thing I have learned in life is to be respectful to others view points and to be mindful of how I put across my point. When I was younger, I was even more opinionated and looking back, I cringe at the way I would often put my point across. You could probably sum it up by saying that even if I had a valid and logical view point, I could definitely be a bit (or a lot) of a d1ck in putting my point across. On the whole, this is a very respectful forum I find, I value it very much. At times, I think some here let themselves down by being more provocative than they need to be which is a shame as they often have views that are extremely valid for discussion.

My Mum used to quote this to me when I was young, though I didn't learn from it till I was much older: "Here lies the body of William Jay, Who died maintaining his right of way – He was right, dead right, as he sped along, But he's just as dead as if he were wrong."

Last edited:
This post is aimed at no one in particular and hands up, off topic. I am now 54 years old and can be opinionated (I know, hard to believe). One thing I have learned in life is to be respectful to others view points and to be mindful of how I put across my point. When I was younger, I was even more opinionated and looking back, I cringe at the way I would often put my point across. You could probably sum it up by saying that even if I had a valid and logical view point, I could definitely be a bit (or a lot) of a d1ck in putting my point across. On the whole, this is a very respectful forum I find, I value it very much. At times, I think some here let themselves down by being more provocative than they need to be which is a shame as they often have views that are extremely valid for discussion.
Well said, to be fair the topic here is jumping all over the place.

We should remember an immense lobby of entrenched fossil fuel interests have and continue to saturate the information people take in, creating many like 4WD. Most will come around eventually and those who don't will get dealt with by the eventual ban.
Lobbies of fossil fuel interest did nothing to saturate people like me- I like my current and prior manual petrol cars because they give me that intangible thing- a feel good factor. The buzzy petrol engine, the shifting of gears via a singing engine sound. Something I've never replicated even with auto petrols.
Regarding being 'dealt with' etc etc, I had much the same arguments with people when I never took the so-called 'wonder fuel' called diesel, you now, those cars we were incentivised to buy, but now the same people who 'did the right thing', in some cases, are now also 'dealt with' via charges.

As I've clearly stated before, I am not anti electric cars, just not entirely convinced and my albeit brief foray into the field via a few test drives didn't move me as such. But I do think the MG4 looks pretty groovy though and I'm at least uber mildy interested. I wouldn't watch lots of reviews and join a forum on it if i weren't.

Last edited:
Lobbies of fossil fuel interest did nothing to saturate people like me- I like my current and prior manual petrol cars because they give me that intangible thing- a feel good factor. The buzzy petrol engine, the shifting of gears via a singing engine sound. Something I've never replicated even with auto petrols.
Regarding being 'dealt with' etc etc, I had much the same arguments with people when I never took the so-called 'wonder fuel' called diesel, you now, those cars we were incentivised to buy, but now the same people who 'did the right thing', in some cases, are now also 'dealt with' via charges.

As I've clearly stated before, I am not anti electric cars, just not entirely convinced and my albeit brief foray into the field via a few test drives didn't move me as such. But I do think the MG4 looks pretty groovy though and I'm at least uber mildy interested. I wouldn't watch lots of reviews and join a forum on it if i weren't.
The lobbies are more about keeping lots of people negative towards EV's in order to prolong ICE sales for as long as they can. I'm not disputing the fact many like the experience of a manual sports car either, noise and all. I personally get more of a buzz from admiring elegant engineering solutions rather than racing around. It's interesting, the love of gears. They always annoyed me, especially on a commute involving going through any town, (except for my beetle, which they suit) and I didn't think much to 4 banger engines either, even when highly tuned or turbocharged. Whiny, overstressed little buggers! When I could afford to, I moved on to cars with big V6/V8 engines & always automatic. It was a revelation, used to just love driving them. Running costs were hideous as though!

I agree on Diesel, always thought it was crap and never had one. I did use LPG for a while, that worked very nicely in big engines. My own involvement with EV's wasn't due to any government persuasion, or initially even green issues. As an EE, the drivetrain tech interested me and I was involved in that years ago, well before they even became mainstream. EV's aren't just the latest government crackpot idea, they're the evolution of car technology to something an order of magnitude more efficient. They were always better, right from the start over 120 years back, but energy storage was always the issue holding them back until recent developments in battery tech made driving ranges more viable for many.

Last edited:

If you haven't already test drove the MG4 I would suggest you did so, watching other people drive and post reviews/video's doesn't strike me as way that would convince you either way. If nothing else its a good way to kill a couple of hours if you like driving. I have the MG ZS, but if I'm honest its a poor 'drivers' car compared to other cars I've owned (great in many other ways though). The MG4 is a completely different kettle of fish, it drives really well IMO despite being automatic and have ordered one as second family car

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom