Someone is on a 'normal' standard tariff, why would they buy an MG4 in this example?

Okay considering the original question, consider this: The 1.5 Yaris Hybrid question
As well as the Mg4, me and the mrs actually don't mind at all the new(ish) 1.5 Yaris hybrid. A funky looking stout thing, but granted that's an acquired taste.
Now, before anyone plays the 'oh, but you can't compare them, they're different classes of cars' card, yes they are, but I'd argue that many (certainy me) people often 'compare' many a different car size/class/type when deciding where theiir money goes- you can't compare an i20 N with an MX5, but I bet people do when deciding what to buy, you can't 'compare' a KONA to a Fiesta, but I'd imagine people do. Sometimes people look at different cars and 'make' them fit their needs, based sometimes on emotion ( i.e I just fancy that car) and where they want to spend their money.
Anyway, we saw above that a 34p standard tariff rate means (£0.34 x 64) it costs about £22 to 'fill up' an mg4 to ~ 250 miles of distance. MUCH more if I do it when out an about on public chargers.
Now, the Yaris Hybrid, on forums, seems to have staggering mpg values, north of mid 60s, with many a user reporting 70s and even flirting with 80 (one youtuber showing 100 something!). I actually sat in one guy's 1.5 Yaris in supermarket carpark about 2 or so months ago, and he showed me the history of his trips, and the mpg values were a knockout.
So, say the 1.5 Yaris returns me 66mpg (realistic, even maybe understated, going by figures and user reports). That gives about 14.5 miles lper litre, so abut 17L would be needed for 250 miles 'range', so about £28 ish per 250 miles at £1.65 per liter petrol? Even less if going by some of the mpg figures shown by owners.

I can carwow a top of the range one with optional black wheels for ~ £23K. Say £8K less than the Trophy, and say £4K less than the SE long range. And without installing a £1K charger too.
I'm not interested in any woke stuff like how many polar bears I'm saving exiting a slip road in an MG4, compared to a Yaris, so in this rising cost world, where is the compelling argument for the 4 in this case? Adding on too that a portion of the (for now) free car tax on the mg4 compared to the £155 yearly Yaris rate would be at least slightly negated via the difference in insurance groups (21 for the 4, 14 for the Yaris). And in addition, consider this: for a 7,000 mile annual mileage rate, the Mg4 Trophy would need about (7000/250) 28 fills, or about 28 x £22 = £616 on the 34p rate. The 1.5 yaris about 28 (lots of 250 miles) x £28 = £784 annual fill up cost. A difference in £168 a year. If I spend £8K more on the 4, not taking road tax into account (granted, important) it'd take me 8000/168 = 48 years to break even with the 4 Trophy, or 'only' about a quarter of a century with the Se long range. And of course you've comparable warranties- 10 years (15 for the hybrid battery) with Toyota's Relax scheme, so long as you service it with them, which I would anyway. Of course servicing costs come into it, but those vary a lot, as shown by a thread on here. But then you could say how many years of tax and (maybe) slightly less service costs savings on the MG4 could I fit into not having the £1K home charger installation and the lower insurance group if I went for the 1.5 Yaris.... Still good?
And also remember, I'm probably not the only person on Planet Earth pondering and posing questions such as these.
Your question is laced with comments designed to provoke.

I suggest if you are actually serious, you just go and buy the Yaris, and save yourself and everyone else the time.

I suggest if you are actually serious, you just go and buy the Yaris, and save yourself and everyone else the time.
Which of course is your opinion, and one in which you're entitled to.
You are incorrect though, and indeed, an argument could be made that your reply is- yet again- designed to provoke.

Last edited:
You are incorrect though, and indeed, an argument could be made that your reply is- yet again- designed to provoke.
4ND, your posting style is provocative. Your posts have provoked 5 reports in the last 3-4 days from different people.

Please try to be less combative.

More of a question would be how many EV drivers don't have solar panels?

This is where you truly gain benefits over ICE. You can't produce diesel or petrol on your roof 🙂
I know lots of EV owners who do not have solar panels. I include myself in that.

Are you being serious?

having been at the receiving end of the exact same musing by yourself, I suggest the old ‘stones and glass houses‘ would be a good saying for you to perhaps consider.

Last edited:
Indeed, when I got my last car, and the salesman was trying to 'upsell' paint protection, I discussed a lot of the above, almost making it into a sport,...
This comes as no surprise judging by your posts here.

4ND, your posting style is provocative. Your posts have provoked 5 reports in the last 3-4 days from different people.

Please try to be less combative.
hi,
I am not surprised some have 'reported' some of my posts; you're always going to have people who despise others' warranted opinions. You will have noted though, that I have reported no posts personally, despite being the recipient of derogatory comments towards me. I haven't done so as a) I can handle others' opinions and willingly will debate an issue without feeling the need to press the panic button and b) I respect a poster's viewpoint if they wish to use derogatory comments to me personally. Of course I will not reciprocate them.

Tellingly, you may noted that I have been granted a 'seriously likeable' award, so I must be doing something which the members' like (thanks guys).
A forum is of course about balanced viewpoints, not pandering to those offended if the sky is too blue.

Are you being serious?

having been at the receiving end of the exact same musing by yourself, I suggest the old ‘stones and glass houses‘ would be a good saying for you to perhaps consider.
Thank you for the indirect support (If I interpreted you post correctly).

You do like a bit of sport though, don't you?

Okay considering the original question, consider this: The 1.5 Yaris Hybrid question
As well as the Mg4, me and the mrs actually don't mind at all the new(ish) 1.5 Yaris hybrid. A funky looking stout thing, but granted that's an acquired taste.
Now, before anyone plays the 'oh, but you can't compare them, they're different classes of cars' card, yes they are, but I'd argue that many (certainy me) people often 'compare' many a different car size/class/type when deciding where theiir money goes- you can't compare an i20 N with an MX5, but I bet people do when deciding what to buy, you can't 'compare' a KONA to a Fiesta, but I'd imagine people do. Sometimes people look at different cars and 'make' them fit their needs, based sometimes on emotion ( i.e I just fancy that car) and where they want to spend their money.
Anyway, we saw above that a 34p standard tariff rate means (£0.34 x 64) it costs about £22 to 'fill up' an mg4 to ~ 250 miles of distance. MUCH more if I do it when out an about on public chargers.
Now, the Yaris Hybrid, on forums, seems to have staggering mpg values, north of mid 60s, with many a user reporting 70s and even flirting with 80 (one youtuber showing 100 something!). I actually sat in one guy's 1.5 Yaris in supermarket carpark about 2 or so months ago, and he showed me the history of his trips, and the mpg values were a knockout.
So, say the 1.5 Yaris returns me 66mpg (realistic, even maybe understated, going by figures and user reports). That gives about 14.5 miles lper litre, so abut 17L would be needed for 250 miles 'range', so about £28 ish per 250 miles at £1.65 per liter petrol? Even less if going by some of the mpg figures shown by owners.

I can carwow a top of the range one with optional black wheels for ~ £23K. Say £8K less than the Trophy, and say £4K less than the SE long range. And without installing a £1K charger too.
I'm not interested in any woke stuff like how many polar bears I'm saving exiting a slip road in an MG4, compared to a Yaris, so in this rising cost world, where is the compelling argument for the 4 in this case? Adding on too that a portion of the (for now) free car tax on the mg4 compared to the £155 yearly Yaris rate would be at least slightly negated via the difference in insurance groups (21 for the 4, 14 for the Yaris). And in addition, consider this: for a 7,000 mile annual mileage rate, the Mg4 Trophy would need about (7000/250) 28 fills, or about 28 x £22 = £616 on the 34p rate. The 1.5 yaris about 28 (lots of 250 miles) x £28 = £784 annual fill up cost. A difference in £168 a year. If I spend £8K more on the 4, not taking road tax into account (granted, important) it'd take me 8000/168 = 48 years to break even with the 4 Trophy, or 'only' about a quarter of a century with the Se long range. And of course you've comparable warranties- 10 years (15 for the hybrid battery) with Toyota's Relax scheme, so long as you service it with them, which I would anyway. Of course servicing costs come into it, but those vary a lot, as shown by a thread on here. But then you could say how many years of tax and (maybe) slightly less service costs savings on the MG4 could I fit into not having the £1K home charger installation and the lower insurance group if I went for the 1.5 Yaris.... Still good?
And also remember, I'm probably not the only person on Planet Earth pondering and posing questions such as these.
I fail to understand why you continually bring up the £1000 cost of charger installation. It remains attached to the house long after the car has gone and as percentage is completely variable based on cost of car. It could even be a bonus feature also if you decide to sell the house already equipped to charge an EV. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I fail to understand why you continually bring up the £1000 cost of charger installation. It remains attached to the house long after the car has gone and as percentage is completely variable based on cost of car. It could even be a bonus feature also if you decide to sell the house already equipped to charge an EV. :unsure::unsure::unsure:
I bring up the cost of the charger at ~ £1000 as they are not free, and I don't have one, and realistically I would have to have one to make an electric car more practical.
If you could manage to get it for me for free, as in £0, then I wouldn't 'continually' quote the £1,000 cost, as then I woudn't have to pay for it and hence factor it into my deciding whether to purchase the electric car or not.
I would imagine that lots of people would factor every cost involved when buying something relatively expensive, and comparing to alternatives.

Last edited:
I bring up the cost of the charger at ~ £1000 as they are not free, and I don't have one, and realistically I would have to have one to make an electric car more practical.
If you could manage to get it for me for free, as in £0, then I wouldn't 'continually' quote the £1,000 cost, as then I wouldn't have to pay for it and hence factor it into my deciding whether to purchase he electric car or not.
I would imagine that lots of people would factor every cost involved when buying something relatively expensive, and comparing to alternatives.
To me it would just make sense to add it to the purchase price of the car likewise be it SR or LR and SE or Trophy when comparing to any ICE that you may be interested in, if looking at comparisons with ICE cars, several manufacturers base cars are almost 1/2 the price of top of the range models with all the options. Could you get away with the included granny charger? as the 7KW home unit could regarded as upgrade/option. Which carries residual value beyond the car itself. I bought my ZS EV based on it saving me £140 a month on diesel. Leaving me less than £200 per month to pay to the car. When looking at similar compact SUV ICE's the Nissan Juke was way more expensive to own/run. I have on order the MG4 and expect similar savings against bottom end Focus (the mini being to small).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points.
I woudn't want the 'granny', as one of my beefs against electric cars is the loooong charging times, so a granny with 15 or so hours would drive me nuts.
It'd be a run around, but compared to the Yaris 1.5, top of the range, with optional black wheels, which I carwowed for £23K on the nose, it's hard to argue for it, given the Yaris' mpg seems phenomenal for what it is. The more i look at the maths with my starting point (no home charger, not on any sweetener tariff deals), and the grief everyone has with the uncertainty with energy costs, the harder it's making to justify it.
As many would imagine with Toyotas, issues with the 1.5 Yaris seems scant on forums, with the 12v battery being the biggest irritant. I ctek my mx-5 ND often as it's pampered and not driven unless the conditions are right (sad, but I got caught in the rain in it today and was stressed lol), so if I had to give a Yaris a blast with the ctek once a week, or use the 'ready' mode on the car once a week to keep it from going flat, that woudn't be the biggest hassle.

In possible part answer to original post.
If I was comparing to other cars I'd probably looking at a car other than Toyota Yaris(which is a good car). IMO the Yaris is more comparable to to Renault Clio and Honda Jazz all of which I believe to be smaller/slower(discounting the more expensive hi performance models) than the MG4. As an alternative to the MG4 I looked at Ford Focus, VW golf and Nissan Leaf. I liked the overall look of the MG4 as it was a bit more distinctive, being less of them on the road at the moment, it road tested well IMO and is of a newer platform(EV) than I had previously been unable to afford(Tesla's and such). The other cars whilst of historical reputability they lacked the 7 year warranty(debatable how that stands up).I'm guessing on depreciation being reasonable as range and battery size ticks the box's for a while. How it works out, who knows but I've never bought a car before as an investment or on cost alone before.
Therefore standard tariff wasn't going to be a deciding factor. If your looking at overall ownership cost I would say a low mileage second hand car's your best bet

If your looking at overall ownership cost I would say a low mileage second hand car's your best bet
I never buy cars with miles on given the lack of mechanical sympathy people often drive with. You should hear the scrapes as cars bottom out on speed bumps by me, the way they tear up to junctions and slam on the brakes, Audi style. Or even kicking doors shut as they exit their car, looking at their phone, heading towards the ASDA opening after parking like a sandwich as close as they can to the shop. Also, being a keen detailer, with an eye for a swirl a meter away, so I'll never pay solid coin for a car which probably had X amount of wash and scratch treatments at a car wash, or using poor self methods.
I'll only buy pre reg cars (negligible miles, but registered by a dealer), or new. The idea of a 1 or so year old car, or worse, a 'PCP handback' is my stuff of nightmares.

Last edited:
I never buy cars with miles on given the lack of mechanical sympathy people often drive with. You should hear the scrapes as cars bottom out on speed bumps by me, the way they tear up to junctions and slam on the brakes, Audi style. Or even kicking doors shut as they exit their car, looking at their phone, heading towards the ASDA opening after parking like a sandwich as close as they can to the shop. Also, being a keen detailer, with an eye for a swirl a meter away, so I'll never pay solid coin for a car which probably had X amount of wash and scratch treatments at a car wash, or using poor self methods.
I'll only by pre reg cars (negligible miles, but registered by a dealer), or new. The idea of a 1 or so year old car, or worse, a 'PCP handback' is my stuff of nightmares.
Are you a mobile detailer?
I like the cut of your jib, and can only assume that your attention to detail is a person I would happily entrust my car too.

Are you a mobile detailer?
I like the cut of your jib, and can only assume that your attention to detail is a person I would happily entrust my car too.
lol no. I am a bit manic with looking after cars though. They are my hobby and I like to look after things I've saved up for years for and shelled out £thousands of pounds for. You should see what I'm like at a dealer on service day: no wash, asking for certain techs to work on it etc etc. I tell them I'm not a PCP guy (not knocking people who do that), I buy and own the car, and I don't pay 20-25-30 thousand of my own money to have to it damaged, and 99% of people might not care, and it isn't that hard to make an effort for the 1% who do. Ditto for tyre fitting day (a nightmare).
You'll like this one: I popped out earlier to give the ND MX-5 a spin as it was bone dry and I hadn't given it a spin for a few weeks. Mission was a few odds and sods. Got to the ASDA (only one I'll go to with a monster sized car park) about 9 miles away, it starts raining, so I turn around and try to 'beat' the rain on the way back. Misses goes nuts when I arrive home with no shopping, and can't see why the MX-5 'getting wet' or driving on a wet road is a problem. So I grab the NISMO RS and go in that instead :D

lol no. I am a bit manic with looking after cars though. They are my hobby and I like to look after things I've saved up for years for and shelled out £thousands of pounds for. You should see what I'm like at a dealer on service day: no wash, asking for certain techs to work on it etc etc. I tell them I'm not a PCP guy (not knocking people who do that), I buy and own the car, and I don't pay 20-25-30 thousand of my own money to have to it damaged, and 99% of people might not care, and it isn't that hard to make an effort for the 1% who do. Ditto for tyre fitting day (a nightmare).
😂 must be exhausting for you (together with the poor gadgie who ends up having to deal with you 😁).
I only ask as I have seen some of your posts re: detailing. I do get your point, but I am too lazy to do it all myself.

😂 must be exhausting for you (together with the poor gadgie who ends up having to deal with you 😁).
I only ask as I have seen some of your posts re: detailing. I do get your point, but I am too lazy to do it all myself.
Yes, I feel the odd 'here he is' atmosphere when I go in. I mean, after all, you have a guy (me) who paid thousand of pounds for a car and wants it looked after by the place I'm about to pay £250-£300 for a service to. In my book, that isn't 'that hard' for them to do.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom