Someone is on a 'normal' standard tariff, why would they buy an MG4 in this example?

Much harder! As in your Mini analogy, they are literally the same car but with different drive trains!

Just so you know, as you seem to be a little confused, this is what a transportation pod looks like:

dims.jpg

;)

If it means having £10K solar panels to truly benefit, my heart goes out to those with no panels and no off street parking either.
You not fitting solar panels to benefit car, this have additional massive benefits, anyway I don't think there is any point to reply.

You always have some counter to post same as comment with my paint protection in other thread, sound like unhappy person trying to cheer up her/himself with use of forum.

You always have some counter to post same as comment with my paint protection in other thread, sound like unhappy person trying to cheer up her/himself with use of forum.
Hi,
Regarding the paint protection post (which you have mentioned in this thread, not me), maybe a cursory look on a detailing forum might give a very similar answer. Maybe google around 'paint protection at a dealer' on a car detaining forum and get out the popcorn .
I presume you are not into car detailing: decons/2/3 bucket wash methods/pre wax cleaners/sealants/fallout removers etc etc? If not, you might find that prep and application is MASSIVE and takes a lot of skill and knowledge to do it on the money.
Indeed, when I got my last car, and the salesman was trying to 'upsell' paint protection, I discussed a lot of the above, almost making it into a sport, and he just didn't have a clue what I was on about. He said (looking through the showroom window) 'our guy there knows his stuff'....the 'guy there' was outside washing cars with the broom stick brush, placing it on the floor between dips into the same bucket lol

Finally, regarding you closing remark ref 'unhappy person' etc etc. I won't directly further address the remark only to add I respect your right to hold that opinion. However, I choose not to reciprocate any such remarks towards yourself.

Am I reading this correctly, but on another forum something about the now 'free' 7KW chargers at Tesco becoming 28p per Kwh from Nov 1st?

I saw that too.
I wouldn't be happy about paying and only getting half the charge rate into my car.

Okay considering the original question, consider this: The 1.5 Yaris Hybrid question
As well as the Mg4, me and the mrs actually don't mind at all the new(ish) 1.5 Yaris hybrid. A funky looking stout thing, but granted that's an acquired taste.
Now, before anyone plays the 'oh, but you can't compare them, they're different classes of cars' card, yes they are, but I'd argue that many (certainy me) people often 'compare' many a different car size/class/type when deciding where theiir money goes- you can't compare an i20 N with an MX5, but I bet people do when deciding what to buy, you can't 'compare' a KONA to a Fiesta, but I'd imagine people do. Sometimes people look at different cars and 'make' them fit their needs, based sometimes on emotion ( i.e I just fancy that car) and where they want to spend their money.
Anyway, we saw above that a 34p standard tariff rate means (£0.34 x 64) it costs about £22 to 'fill up' an mg4 to ~ 250 miles of distance. MUCH more if I do it when out an about on public chargers.
Now, the Yaris Hybrid, on forums, seems to have staggering mpg values, north of mid 60s, with many a user reporting 70s and even flirting with 80 (one youtuber showing 100 something!). I actually sat in one guy's 1.5 Yaris in supermarket carpark about 2 or so months ago, and he showed me the history of his trips, and the mpg values were a knockout.
So, say the 1.5 Yaris returns me 66mpg (realistic, even maybe understated, going by figures and user reports). That gives about 14.5 miles lper litre, so abut 17L would be needed for 250 miles 'range', so about £28 ish per 250 miles at £1.65 per liter petrol? Even less if going by some of the mpg figures shown by owners.

I can carwow a top of the range one with optional black wheels for ~ £23K. Say £8K less than the Trophy, and say £4K less than the SE long range. And without installing a £1K charger too.
I'm not interested in any woke stuff like how many polar bears I'm saving exiting a slip road in an MG4, compared to a Yaris, so in this rising cost world, where is the compelling argument for the 4 in this case? Adding on too that a portion of the (for now) free car tax on the mg4 compared to the £155 yearly Yaris rate would be at least slightly negated via the difference in insurance groups (21 for the 4, 14 for the Yaris). And in addition, consider this: for a 7,000 mile annual mileage rate, the Mg4 Trophy would need about (7000/250) 28 fills, or about 28 x £22 = £616 on the 34p rate. The 1.5 yaris about 28 (lots of 250 miles) x £28 = £784 annual fill up cost. A difference in £168 a year. If I spend £8K more on the 4, not taking road tax into account (granted, important) it'd take me 8000/168 = 48 years to break even with the 4 Trophy, or 'only' about a quarter of a century with the Se long range. And of course you've comparable warranties- 10 years (15 for the hybrid battery) with Toyota's Relax scheme, so long as you service it with them, which I would anyway. Of course servicing costs come into it, but those vary a lot, as shown by a thread on here. But then you could say how many years of tax and (maybe) slightly less service costs savings on the MG4 could I fit into not having the £1K home charger installation and the lower insurance group if I went for the 1.5 Yaris.... Still good?
And also remember, I'm probably not the only person on Planet Earth pondering and posing questions such as these.

Last edited:
I meant you but suspect you already knew that!! 😁
Yes, that's why I said so.
But I refuse to reciprocate a similar derogatory remark in your direction.
May I also take this opportunity to wish you a good rest of day and a great weekend.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom