Steering wheel message.

I've had this when I parked with wheels not straight. I've also had put hands on steering wheel. Ignore it ...
I've also had this when the car's been parked and charging. I ignore it and it doesn't do anything. More worrying is the one which flashes up telling me to put my hands on the steering wheel when they are, as it also jams the brakes on for me. It's always when the cruise control is also on, and it's frankly, dangerous.

I've also had this when the car's been parked and charging. I ignore it and it doesn't do anything. More worrying is the one which flashes up telling me to put my hands on the steering wheel when they are, as it also jams the brakes on for me. It's always when the cruise control is also on, and it's frankly, dangerous.
It's the intended behaviour essentially it's detecting no input on a yaw sensor either left or right on the wheel, I've had it flash twice when on the motorway but it doesn't slam on unless you ignore the message and don't put a slight wiggle into the steering. It is stopping the car as it's assuming you've basically fallen asleep or for what ever reason not in control of the vehicle.

It's the intended behaviour essentially it's detecting no input on a yaw sensor either left or right on the wheel, I've had it flash twice when on the motorway but it doesn't slam on unless you ignore the message and don't put a slight wiggle into the steering. It is stopping the car as it's assuming you've basically fallen asleep or for what ever reason not in control of the vehicle.
When I get this message it brake firmly (not slaming them on) and the red stering wheel with the message comes on, and yes it's in that order. Mostly happens for me when meeting another car when aproching a 20 ish? degree right hand turn (left hand driving). I always have taken it to be the ACC getting the nerve seeing another car somewhat in front of us, but the braking always happens when meeting vehicle is well and true out of the way and I have iniciated the turn to the right.
So.... go figure.

When I get this message it brake firmly (not slaming them on) and the red stering wheel with the message comes on, and yes it's in that order. Mostly happens for me when meeting another car when aproching a 20 ish? degree right hand turn (left hand driving). I always have taken it to be the ACC getting the nerve seeing another car somewhat in front of us, but the braking always happens when meeting vehicle is well and true out of the way and I have iniciated the turn to the right.
So.... go figure.
The take the wheel message is part of the driver attention alert system built into all MG4s, based on no yaw movements in the steering wheel while moving the car takes that to be that you aren't paying attention to the road it will display the warning with a bong and if no yaw is applied it will commence breaking.

The scenario you're describing is the car has determined it will hit a stationary vehicle based on you angle of steering and speed, so takes action to prevent this.

When I've seen this, it's been so momentary that it's gone before I realise it. The first time I genuinely didn't know what the display had shown, it was so quick, but I've seen it a couple of times since and realised. No braking though.

When I've seen this, it's been so momentary that it's gone before I realise it. The first time I genuinely didn't know what the display had shown, it was so quick, but I've seen it a couple of times since and realised. No braking though.
I do get the red steering wheel and beep without braking, just have to grab the steering wheel firmly to shut it up (or else the car starts to brake). What I described in post 24 does not act like the drowsiness warning even though the red steering wheel symbol is the same. Oh (edit) only while driving with AAC activated.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've never had the chance to ignore the message as it's always braked firmly, immediately as the message has come up. Most disconcerting. And yes, as others have said, it's usually as I'm going round a curve with oncoming traffic. So I guess it sees the traffic and the sensor assumes I'm going to hit it. Except I'm in complete control with both hands on the wheel!

I got this within the past hour ... vehicle slowed (not slamming on the brakes) and the warning came up. A wiggle of the wheel and pressing the Go pedal (I was in ACC mode) sorted it.

In my case I was about to go round a curve (to the right), but it was a slip road to join the motorway so there was no traffic coming the other way. 🤷‍♂️

Come on @Ian Key!
Let's have it 👍

I have heard of the car not being happy with the steering wheel having some lock applied, but not straight ahead.
Weird, I just had this happen to me ( reason I searched the forum )

We was just in ASDA car park, I backed into the parking bay at the end & admittedly the car was slightly on the line, front more so & I powered down the car manually & the steering wheel was turned slightly. I didn’t think much of it as I was on end bay so not obstructing anyone

Anyway, daughter came out of store, I hit the brake pedal & got a yellow symbol & message saying turn steering wheel

This I tried but the steering wheel was locked solid, wouldn’t turn either way & car wouldn’t go into Drive or Reverse & it just kept displaying message & beeping at me

So I shut the window, got out, locked car, got back in & thankfully it was ok & off we went

I’m hoping it was my own fault because I was parked on line & car was shut down with wheel slightly turned & it’s just a glitch in the system but for a minute I was panicking thinking I could have a problem

One I’ll keep an eye on in future & will be more careful how I park & remember to straighten wheel when parking 😂

Weird, I just had this happen to me ( reason I searched the forum )

We was just in ASDA car park, I backed into the parking bay at the end & admittedly the car was slightly on the line, front more so & I powered down the car manually & the steering wheel was turned slightly. I didn’t think much of it as I was on end bay so not obstructing anyone

Anyway, daughter came out of store, I hit the brake pedal & got a yellow symbol & message saying turn steering wheel

This I tried but the steering wheel was locked solid, wouldn’t turn either way & car wouldn’t go into Drive or Reverse & it just kept displaying message & beeping at me

So I shut the window, got out, locked car, got back in & thankfully it was ok & off we went

I’m hoping it was my own fault because I was parked on line & car was shut down with wheel slightly turned & it’s just a glitch in the system but for a minute I was panicking thinking I could have a problem

One I’ll keep an eye on in future & will be more careful how I park & remember to straighten wheel when parking 😂
It's all about the open window 😉.

Is it possible to use good old fashioned CC without having to bring the 'A' into the equation? I've got a regular 500 + round trip coming up that is basically the whole of the A30 to Exeter ( from pointy end of Cornwall) and the M5. Always made a lot of use of cruise control in previous vehicles but not feeling the love from what I'm hearing here about the 'A' feature.
And as for computer says "no snoozing at the wheel" - it's a long trip ***!! 😴😴😴

Assuming he wasn't actually moving and had just sat in the car, the first thing I would do is show the car the steering extremities by turning the wheel lock to lock.
I just hope it's not a regular occurance, hubby said steering wheel was straight and was in neutral. Only had the car since last October...
The steering wheel might have been straight but were the front wheels straight ?

Hi, hubby was on his way out to work when a steering wheel message said "Steering wheel not straight" and the car in neutral, he said the wheel was straight, phoned the MG dealer and they said ring AA assist. I went on YouTube tube, said to reboot via home button and hubby also connected the charger, done the trick, it started but is this a common problem?
Excuse me for popping in but yeh my MG4 used to always ask me to straighten the steering wheel before something , I forget now lol

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back