Stupid car only charges when it feel like it

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Often when I plug in the charger the light remains blue when it’s suppose to turn green. When it happens I have also tested with the granny charger, but no luck, so it can’t be the charger. Sometimes the car will take charge if i turn in on, put it in drive, then shut it off again. But this is stupid, and I can’t have it like this. I went to the dealer, but then it took charge, like it often does. But i have well documented videos.

I am guessing this has been treble checked - but you don't have any charging schedules set in the car or app, that may be delaying things?
Should just be a case of plug in cable... lock car... and it will start if nothing is delaying it

If I don't want to use scheduled charging I just connect charger, then push charge on the infotainment screen, then lock the car and walk away, has worked every time for me.

If I don't want to use scheduled charging I just connect charger, then push charge on the infotainment screen, then lock the car and walk away, has worked every time for me.

But you push the "start charging" because the car is set to scheduled charging, right? My issue is the light often stays blue after inserting the charger, even with scheduled off.

Even with scheduled charging disabled I push charge on infotainment screen to start. Could probably start charging from the easee app as well, but not tried that.

Not normally, but that could be due to settings in easee as well. But for me I have no problems with just pushing charge, works every time

Check if the target charge level in the battery charge gauge is not below the SOC.

Yeah, this isn't acceptable. On a granny charger, or a home charger with no schedule, it should just start charging as soon as you plug in, no other interaction. Anything more is unacceptable hassle.

The only times I've needed to touch "start charging" is times when I stopped the charge remotely by mistake.

I know you said you have videos, but just make sure you have a video that shows:

• Show that cable isn't plugged in
  • Infotainment screen showing that SOC is below target
  • Car in Park
  • Plug in granny cable (so you don't have to demonstrate charger has no schedule)
  • Show that it's not charging
Then go back and nag the dealer again.

In all fields, intermittent faults are the worst :(

I'm getting something strange on my phase 1 trophy.

I have a zappi charger, and the car is set to charge at a certain time. I have noticed it can be charging outside the scheduled hours...

At the moment, it is scheduled to start charging at 00:30, but this evening when plugging the car in at 7pm, it has decided to start charging. :mad:

And no, I haven't clicked the start charging button.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm getting something strange on my phase 1 trophy.

I have a zappi charger, and the car is set to charge at a certain time. I have noticed it can be charging outside the scheduled hours...

At the moment, it is scheduled to start charging at 00:30, but this evening when plugging the car in at 7pm, it has decided to start charging. :mad:

And no, I haven't clicked the start charging button.

Anyone else experience this?
I have a Zappi and it works reliably with my MG4 (Phase 1), I had to:
  • Install any updates on the Zappi.
  • Set the schedule on the Zappi, not the car (must not set on both, car only did not work for me).
  • Put the Zappi in Eco+ mode.

Now I can plug in whenever I like and the car only charges during the hours set on the Zappi.

I have had my car charging without the lights on around the charge plug. It has done it twice. Plugged in as usual but no blue lights and locked the car no green lights. Checked my smart meter, definitely charging, checked Ismart , definitely charging. Next time back to normal. Done this twice in 7 months . Just an MG4 glitch.

Often when I plug in the charger the light remains blue when it’s suppose to turn green. When it happens I have also tested with the granny charger, but no luck, so it can’t be the charger. Sometimes the car will take charge if i turn in on, put it in drive, then shut it off again. But this is stupid, and I can’t have it like this. I went to the dealer, but then it took charge, like it often does. But i have well documented videos.
I feel you pain with that. The way I overcame this is: I put the Granny charger on a smart plug (Tapo smart plug). Plug the Granny charger into the car, the smart plug is off, then when I want it to charge I can either set a schedule for the smart plug to turn on and off or turn it on manually from my armchair and my app.
Always works for me. However, don't leave the car connected but not charging for days on end, in this situation the HV battery is disconnected and your 12v battery can then deplete with no HV battery top up.

I feel you pain with that. The way I overcame this is: I put the Granny charger on a smart plug (Tapo smart plug). Plug the Granny charger into the car, the smart plug is off, then when I want it to charge I can either set a schedule for the smart plug to turn on and off or turn it on manually from my armchair and my app.
Always works for me. However, don't leave the car connected but not charging for days on end, in this situation the HV battery is disconnected and your 12v battery can then deplete with no HV battery top up.
Updated the charging car firmware and hasn't been a problem since

Has anyone noticed their mg4 doesn’t always start the scheduled charge since the last app update? Mine should have charged last night but didn’t- checked app and it still shows it is set to schedule an overnight charge.
I’ve also noticed that sometimes after I have checked the app the car starts charging immediately rather than waiting for the scheduled start time (very annoying when it charges during peak energy cost hours)

I've never used the iSmart schedule function, I just schedule my Pod point charger to start at off-peak times and plug the car in a couple of hours before then set the SOC target at 80% in the app and it works for me

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back