I have had the same thing at very low speed ,fortunately ,but the car braked so violently it freaked me and my wife out.I was stopped at a temporary stop light ,pulled out when the lights changed and for a second the front camera must of picked up the hedge on the opposite side of the road and bang the emergency brake banged on,I swore so my wife clipped me round the ear 😂🧏‍♀️
So, driving an MG4 now also becomes a hazard for our hearing abilities....

I have had AEB save me from at least 2 nasty accidents . That’s about the same number of times I’ve had a false trigger of the AEB , so in balance I am pretty pleased with the performance . Interestingly, from 2025 no new car can be sold in Australia without AEB so we’d better get used to it !

But if you disable the brake function it will just beep. You have to go into the menu though each time you start the car.

https://photos.app.******/oNmeuWL9F4PYCMdS9

Heres a link to my dashcam footage of a recent emergency brake for no reason. Instant stop from 15mph. Not nice.

Try using the CODE container (the </> icon) to post the link. The icon is under the 3 dots at the right side it you can't see it. The result:

Code:
Looks like this

@Surfdog : Wow - well if you didn't have that on dashcam I wouldn't have believed it, I've never had anything like that before on mine (20k miles: I have a very early model, with sensible defaults on start up) - take care bud!

It's said that the radar detector unit is not behind the square block front and centre of the front bumper, rather it is higher up and off to the left side behind the bumper. Is that perhaps why RHD versions of the car may be more temperamental regarding AEB, in that the software was originally designed for LHD models and hasn't been appropriately tweaked for RHD? (Or maybe over-tweaked in terms of sensing angles?)

It happened in way back from 1st service. Took it straight back to dealer who kept for a day and took for road tests but couldn't find a fault. Would easily have been a rear end shunt if driver behind was a bit close or not paying attention. Had a few of these. I find at speeds below say 15 or 20 mph, brakes will lock instantly. Above those speeds brakes will be applied more gradually. When turning right into my estate I would normally enter a box in centre of road and wait till road is clear but can't do so as entering it, no matter how slowly I do so, will activate AEB if cars are travelling towards me.

Wow, that was from a long way back from the car in front. I've had similar but at much closer distances (perhaps a car's length).

I think:

rain ( ==> water drops on the windscreen in front of the camera)
+ light from Fiat headlamps
====
...gave "bad" image to the camera, it couldn't recognize the situation, and produced a command to Stop!

I think it detects the direction the front wheels are pointing. So if you have them slightly turned to bring you towards the centre white line the car thinks you are going to continue with that turn and into the oncoming traffic.

I've found if I'm going to overtake a parked car and keep the steering straight until the oncoming traffic has cleared there is no emergency braking even if I'm still moving slowly. But if I've turned the steering in anticipation of going around the parked vehicle and still moving it slams the anchors on.

I think it wasn't the car ahead. It was the small Fiat that provoked AEB.

Yes, that makes more sense on second viewing 👍, plus the above comments plus the right indicator was also on ? .. so the car might also think a right turn was imminent ?

That happened to me once when turning right into a side road, however I was crawling in a separate right turn lane and was judging when an oncoming car would pass but the car obviously had a different opinion to me 😂

Last edited:
The major problem with these modern systems is that they are made to pass specific tests in a controlled environment. On the road there are too many variables which will the algorithms cannot cope with , and so will fire off a signal to the braking control unit once parameters have been passed even though we think it everything is fine and dandy. This makes us mistrust the car and question whether its fit for purpose? So we either live with it or as we presently can, turn it off . As more of these cars come onto the roads , we are going to see more of these incidents take place, some right in front of us, so we are going to leave an extra few metres gap to the car in front. ( just in case ). Maybe that's what the powers that be wanted in the first place and this is a roundabout way of achieving it.

The major problem with these modern systems is that they are made to pass specific tests in a controlled environment. On the road there are too many variables which will the algorithms cannot cope with , and so will fire off a signal to the braking control unit once parameters have been passed even though we think it everything is fine and dandy. This makes us mistrust the car and question whether its fit for purpose? So we either live with it or as we presently can, turn it off . As more of these cars come onto the roads , we are going to see more of these incidents take place, some right in front of us, so we are going to leave an extra few metres gap to the car in front. ( just in case ). Maybe that's what the powers that be wanted in the first place and this is a roundabout way of achieving it.
First part:agreed.
Second part: don't think so. Overly crowded roads will continue to cause 'incidents'. System will become smarter until they reach a point that these 'incidents' hardly occur anymore.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back