I have tried switching it off, however everytime I recommence entering the car or s new journey it defaults to on. Can anyone advise or would I be best to get it into a dealer. Emergency brake again yesterday in town traffic 😡

I have tried switching it off, however everytime I recommence entering the car or s new journey it defaults to on. Can anyone advise or would I be best to get it into a dealer. Emergency brake again yesterday in town traffic 😡
Unfortunately because it is a safety feature it defaults to on for each drive.

I would definitely go to your dealer complain about it and see if there are any updates or changes they can make.

Hi Barrym01. From what I read on this forum this is required to default to ON as part of the NCAP rating. For now you need to make sure you press the brake pedal to get the car into ‘Ready’ before switching off the Front Collision Assist. When you do it this way you get a prompt to confirm it. If you don’t get the prompt you haven’t pressed the brake pedal first and it will revert back to on when you drive off. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have had similar problems and left my MG4 Trophy with the MG dealers to sort it out.
They have been liaising with MG and have done several software updates to the car and also recalibrated the front cameras/radar etc.etc.
I did a test drive with the technician last evening and it seemed ok but they have to wait for permission from MG to release the car back into service. I am hoping to collect the car today!
Hope this helps.

Just had my first unwanted emergency brake after 2500 miles in my Trophy, and tbh still shaking from it. 20mph, driver behind and passing parked cars. Car coming the other way, plenty of room and bang, stopped dead. Driver cursing behind. Had all software updates. I'm assuming that I now have to switch AEB off as well as LKA, or is it the combination of both that causes this reaction? It was very wet as well so if it happened on a quicker road could have had potentially disasterous impact.

Yes, I've heard it has happened on other cars, but is MG4 prone to this in anyone's view? Rang dealer immedietly but they have no information on how to make the system less sensitive. I can put up with s/w issues that impact media, navigation, phone connection in the knowledge these will get fixed (eventually, and along with my oil leak and bulging wind sail), but safety issues like this really make me lose faith in the brand.

Anyway I'm calming down now!!

Havent had this on the MG as yet but had it numerous times with our Skoda Octavia's and Fabia in the past when cars have been turning in front at junctions etc and it can be scarey.
Only had the MG beep at me when coming up behind traffic to quickly.

Just had my first unwanted emergency brake after 2500 miles in my Trophy, and tbh still shaking from it. 20mph, driver behind and passing parked cars. Car coming the other way, plenty of room and bang, stopped dead. Driver cursing behind. Had all software updates. I'm assuming that I now have to switch AEB off as well as LKA, or is it the combination of both that causes this reaction? It was very wet as well so if it happened on a quicker road could have had potentially disasterous impact.

Yes, I've heard it has happened on other cars, but is MG4 prone to this in anyone's view? Rang dealer immedietly but they have no information on how to make the system less sensitive. I can put up with s/w issues that impact media, navigation, phone connection in the knowledge these will get fixed (eventually, and along with my oil leak and bulging wind sail), but safety issues like this really make me lose faith in the brand.

Anyway I'm calming down now!!

Try a notice on the back

“Car may brake without warning”

👍

Havent had this on the MG as yet but had it numerous times with our Skoda Octavia's and Fabia in the past when cars have been turning in front at junctions etc and it can be scarey.
Only had the MG beep at me when coming up behind traffic to quickly.
I have only had the beeping so far too.
Playing devils advocate. Perhaps its our attitude as drivers that needs to change. So far on this site there have been 2 occasions where it has potentially prevented an accident with pedestrain and no instances of actually causing an accident (other than trousers, I did ask :)). Although undoubtably the technology needs to improve, perhaps the impact on injuries and lives lost (particularly children, who are more vulnerable to this type of incident) will be greater than the stress of ghost activations.... and finally bad drivers will learn to KEEP YOUR DISTANCE?
NCAP do value this technology for a reason.

Hi Barrym01. From what I read on this forum this is required to default to ON as part of the NCAP rating. For now you need to make sure you press the brake pedal to get the car into ‘Ready’ before switching off the Front Collision Assist. When you do it this way you get a prompt to confirm it. If you don’t get the prompt you haven’t pressed the brake pedal first and it will revert back to on when you drive off. Hope this helps.
Hi, thanks for this. I've been getting the prompt, however it defaults it back to on the following occasions I get back in the car. Does the method you use default it to off the next time you get in the car?

Yeah I mentioned in another thread that a work colleague had 2 activations on the motorway with the Ioniq 5.
I've had some of these with my ZS which seems to activate a pulse of phantom breaking triggered by Cast Iron manhole covers in the road also a few times crossing my local railway crossing where the road actually dips to cross a single track. I've put it down to the radar getting a sudden stronger-than-usual reflection from the road and it is detected as an object in the road, perhaps it is interpreted as the metal frame of a bicycle?

I also had several phantom braking in my T.Model 3 yesterday in various situations on a 300-mile run down from Newcastle so definitely not an MG only issue.

I had the first proper activation of the AEB over the weekend and I've now changed my mind about it. It's being turned off every journey from now on. I'm not having a car that could at any point decide to do an emergency stop. The worst part is that I couldn't override it until the car had stopped.

Fortunately it was at very low speed and the person behind was leaving enough space but had it happened in the fast lane of the motorway things could have turned out much differently.

It happened to me when the car was a few days old. I now always turn off the Lane Assist and the Front Emergency Brakes but I do leave the warning on. My car has also started doing it when reversing but this is at a very low speed and not really a problem..

I had the first proper activation of the AEB over the weekend and I've now changed my mind about it. It's being turned off every journey from now on. I'm not having a car that could at any point decide to do an emergency stop. The worst part is that I couldn't override it until the car had stopped.

Fortunately it was at very low speed and the person behind was leaving enough space but had it happened in the fast lane of the motorway things could have turned out much differently.

That's fairly scary.

I have been leaving my AEB on, although the first thing I do when I get into the car is turn of the LKA. I've had the car less than three weeks and it activated twice in the first ten days. Once was when I was coming up behind a car that was stationary, waiting to turn right. I was aware of the car and about to brake, but the MG4 seemed to think I should have done it a bit sooner. No harm done, although it was a bit embarrassing as I had a passenger.

The second time was in a narrow residential road where I was driving on the side with the parked cars. The MG4 seemed to think I should have pulled out to circumvent a parked car earlier than I actually did.

So both times it simply beat me to the draw on something I was about to do anyway, and it wasn't expecially scary or in any way dangerous. I just felt, gimme a break, car, I do know what I'm doing here.

But that video clip is something else.

This is most definitely not purely an MG problem, although it can be a scary system when it activates at the wrong time. I’ve had this with previous VAG cars, one where it scared the living daylights out of me as it slammed on the brakes in a 60mph road when someone pulled into a right only lane and almost caused road rage from the guy behind! The car somehow thought I was going to hit the guy who was no longer in my lane!

Seeing the video above, I wonder did the car somehow think you were still in a single lane as you emerged into the 2 way section?

I think it’s a great system in principle, but then so are a lot of things - great on paper, not so good in practice.

Seeing the video above, I wonder did the car somehow think you were still in a single lane as you emerged into the 2 way section?
Maybe. All I can think is that it picked up that the other car was heading straight towards us without realising that there is a bend it would be following.

Phew… at least it’s not just me!

My 1 week old car thought it knew more than my 20+ years of driving and decided I couldn’t fit through a gap and stopped where it was. Was a shock to say the least but I guess all the new tech is kicking in just sometimes unnecessarily

Phew… at least it’s not just me!

My 1 week old car thought it knew more than my 20+ years of driving and decided I couldn’t fit through a gap and stopped where it was. Was a shock to say the least but I guess all the new tech is kicking in just sometimes unnecessarily

I have had a similar incident where I was actually driving between 2 parked cars and the next second the car stopped almost instantly.
And while I was very impressed with the brakes, it was a bit of a shock. Fortunately the car behind was not too close because it would have had no warning at all.

I have had a similar incident where I was actually driving between 2 parked cars and the next second the car stopped almost instantly.
And while I was very impressed with the brakes, it was a bit of a shock. Fortunately the car behind was not too close because it would have had no warning at all.
But saying that it also saved me (bit dramatic but still) when I was coming into left lane, looking over left to double check and car in front slammed brakes on. Luckily mine automatically stopped so it has its uses

We have had several emergency stops and the alarm going off for no apparent reason.

My daughter in the back smashed her nose on the front passenger seat even though she was wearing seat belt

She shouted dad why did you do that, I said I didn’t the car just stops abruptly for no reason

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back