• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Terrible default Tyres

I experienced it in my early days of ownership but simply modified my driving style to suit the car. This is by no means a new issue. You'll find it being discussed in any car forum where the vehicle in question has a high torque capability.

There seems to be a simple solution here... Don't floor it... I have never had this problem..
:)
Well you said you have never wheel spinned and wondered what you were doing wrong, so simply said if you floor it you will, you did ask 😀

I used to think all eco but then after taking a faster EV out for a test drive I decided the cost is too much and therefore I will just drive around in my MG5in sport now to make use of the cars torque, just a much more fun driving experience And my new tyres have definately helped although not floored it much yet as I want to wear them in a bit. Unless im on a long journey then its eco all the way to make sure I get there.

I haven't had wheel spin so far, what am I doing wrong!?
I suspect you are not using a driving style suitable for the modern age.
I believe you must also fit extra powerful speakers (playing at full volume) and keep your windows open so everyone can hear how awful your music taste is.

So after changing my tyres to the continental I now cannot spin the wheels at say 10mph or above and from stop it only wheel spins for a tiny split second. Much more stable in general and it's wet out there today.

Also it's strange but the squeak when reversing has also gone, not sure how but didn't happen today and it always used to.

So ye I highly recommend them

Just ordered some Bridgestone Weather Control A005 ECO XL
Halford has an offer on for 10% off - works out under £100 per tyre fitted.
Will see how this goes compared to standard Ecopia!! Treads looks better and the EVO version came 2nd in recent Autoexpress group test.
39C5D0EE-597B-4064-A286-F7EE04669077.png

Just ordered some Bridgestone Weather Control A005 ECO XL
Halford has an offer on for 10% off - works out under £100 per tyre fitted.
Will see how this goes compared to standard Ecopia!! Treads looks better and the EVO version came 2nd in recent Autoexpress group test.View attachment 6286
I did have a look at those but wasn't keen on the energy efficiency rated B

I went for Michelin CrossClimate 2 - think they were £108 each fitted. Been good so far, didn’t test in recent snow as using my old Fiat Panda with Continental WinterContact TS 860 was far too much fun!
I was keen on CC2, but I couldn’t find anything cheaper than £130 for CC2 fitted near me - so went for the Bridgestone for £100 each.

The Michelin again was one of the ones I looked at but they're rated B for fuel efficiency and B for wet grip whereas the continental are A's for both so I'm interested to know why you guys didn't go for the ones I went for?

The Michelin again was one of the ones I looked at but they're rated B for fuel efficiency and B for wet grip whereas the continental are A's for both so I'm interested to know why you guys didn't go for the ones I went for?
I didn’t want to fit a summer tyre as I’m based near Glasgow and we tend to get sub 8oC for many mornings of the year.

On previous car I used 17” Continental Sport Contact for summer and 16” Continental Winter Contact in winter. Couldn’t be bothered buying extra wheels this time so fitted one of the highest rated all season with a summer bias.

I didn’t want to fit a summer tyre as I’m based near Glasgow and we tend to get sub 8oC for many mornings of the year.

On previous car I used 17” Continental Sport Contact for summer and 16” Continental Winter Contact in winter. Couldn’t be bothered buying extra wheels this time so fitted one of the highest rated all season with a summer bias.
Makes sense

I believe the wet grip is due to the testing methodology for wet grip - dragging the tire along, not taking in mind the modern abs systems, at least that's what EngineeringExplained says? Tests show there the best all season in 15C weather, but drop down a bit in 4*c weather due to them having a more summer compound compared to some others (but that helps treadwear)
1642358995162.png

Source: TyreReviews

I believe the wet grip is due to the testing methodology for wet grip - dragging the tire along, not taking in mind the modern abs systems, at least that's what EngineeringExplained says? Tests show there the best all season in 15C weather, but drop down a bit in 4*c weather due to them having a more summer compound compared to some others (but that helps treadwear)
View attachment 6327
Source: TyreReviews
Every tyre is a compromise and choosing the absolute best one for your own usage is tricky. Any of the top five tyres in any of these tests will most likely be ideal - just that some are slightly more ideal than others depending on your use case

No all season will compete with the best summer / winter tyre in the conditions they are designed for - and vice versa.

Another massive factor is price. It’s easy for me to say “buy four £130 all season” and others will insist that only dedicated summer and winter wheels will suffice whereas the vast majority will run the OEM tyres for 20k+ miles with no issues at all 🤷‍♂️

i dont wheel spin could you just not have a led foot
I find wheel spinning a bit of a problem, there doesnt seem much traction and even moderate acceleration can cause a spin. Of course having all that torque does encourage a bit of a rapid start..

Are these tires really that bad? Yes, they spin a bit, but isn't that bit of case in most EV's anyway? I'm finding them perfectly usable tbh.
Well the ratings are terrible for grip especially in wet and I can tell a big difference with my new ones. I definitely didn't feel confident going at speed in these tyres if I ever needed to stop quickly and wet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom