Tesco's Podpoints price increase.

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
My local Podpoints in Tesco Rotherham have gone up this week. They were 28p/kWh, now 44p/kWh. :(
I pay 18p off peak at home and didn't mind paying 28p for an hour or two while shopping but it's definitely not worth plugging in whilst shopping now and their other parking spaces are tight, so it looks like I'll be shopping elsewhere from now on. 🤨

My local Podpoints in Tesco Rotherham have gone up this week. They were 28p/kWh, now 44p/kWh. :(
I pay 18p off peak at home and didn't mind paying 28p for an hour or two while shopping but it's definitely not worth plugging in whilst shopping now and their other parking spaces are tight, so it looks like I'll be shopping elsewhere from now on. 🤨
Why would you pay 28p instead of 18p, unless you were running short and needed the juice ASAP.

At my Tesco they are almost the closest bays to the store (only the With Child bays are closer).

You must have missed earlier discussions Kithmo - you can still plug in and get 15 mins for free - don't even need to sign into the app - I don't know how long you take to shop... May not last I suppose

The is another thread on this, granted it went a bit of piste

Why would you pay 28p instead of 18p, unless you were running short and needed the juice ASAP.
Convenience of free parking in the town centre whilst shopping in the town and Tesco's.
And it was still cheaper than my peak period at home which is 38p.
I still have an option of free charging in the town centre (unless that's gone up this week) but have to pay for parking.
At my Tesco they are almost the closest bays to the store (only the With Child bays are closer).

You must have missed earlier discussions Kithmo - you can still plug in and get 15 mins for free - don't even need to sign into the app - I don't know how long you take to shop... May not last I suppose
No thanks, last time I tried the 15 minute free option it bricked the car, I had to get my 10mm spanner out. My Gen1 ZS doesn't like the power suddenly being switched off whilst charging.

Convenience of free parking in the town centre whilst shopping in the town and Tesco's.
And it was still cheaper than my peak period at home which is 38p.
I still have an option of free charging in the town centre (unless that's gone up this week) but have to pay for parking.

No thanks, last time I tried the 15 minute free option it bricked the car, I had to get my 10mm spanner out. My Gen1 ZS doesn't like the power suddenly being switched off whilst charging.
I'd possibly get that looked at as my missus MG ZS EV MK1 has no issues with the power being cut off as the onboard charger is designed to cope with this

I'd possibly get that looked at as my missus MG ZS EV MK1 has no issues with the power being cut off as the onboard charger is designed to cope with this
Because it's not a situation I'm likely to encounter again it's not worth bothering the dealer with it.

It’s still likely cheaper than the wholesale price Tesco are paying for elec and that’s without maintenance on top.

I think it was Genie that email me this week to say they are increasing to 98p kW!!!

Did you miss "Convenience of free parking in the town centre whilst shopping in the town and Tesco's."?
Without telling us what you’re saving on the parking cost it’s impossible for us to know what savings you were making by paying to charge at 28p.

What is the length of time you can pay to charge and still be cheaper than charging at home and paying for parking?

Without telling us what you’re saving on the parking cost it’s impossible for us to know what savings you were making by paying to charge at 28p.

What is the length of time you can pay to charge and still be cheaper than charging at home and paying for parking?
Cheapest 2 hours parking elsewhere is £1.50.
2 hours (free) parking on the Tesco's charger is at max 6.6kWh x 2 = 13.2kWh.
The difference between charging at home off peak at 18p and Tesco's at 28p was 10p/kWh.
13.2 x 10p = £1.32.
The difference now at 44p/kWh is 26p, 13.2 x 26p = £3.43.

In truth, the Gen 1 ZS charger is not "designed to cope", but is in point of fact not designed to cope with the needs of NMC based Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) to set a daily limit SOC. With Gen 1 ZS, owners need to manage the maximum State of Charge for themselves. I would regularly estimate what 80% of the seasonally adjusted full charge should be mileage and unless I had a road trip that required the car's maximum range or I wished to force the monthly maintenance Balance/Equalisation Charge I would limit the charge time for a <80% SOC (assuming 25 miles per hour of charge time). As a rule of thumb, I'd assumed in Summer Full (100%) charge to be 163 miles and in Winter 130 miles. Therefore in Summer, I'd aim in the morning to see 130 miles and in Winter 112 miles after 2 to 3 hours at 7 kW.

Of course, if you need the full range the following day or you are plugged into a destination charger by all means charge to 100% and then use the car, but for the sake of battery health, with an NMC battery don't charge to 100% every day and then leave the car parked up. Doing so accelerates the degradation of the battery. I followed my own advice and had no noticeable range reduction or battery performance in over 3 years.

The exception to this is if you have an LFP battery chemistry which is quite different to NMC Chemistry and is definitely designed for 100% Daily Charge. This battery chemistry is in the Standard Range ZS Facelift and MG4 SR which have 51 kWh LFP. In fact, on the charge management screen, it isn't possible to set an 80% charge limit. It is also beneficial for the Battery Management System (BMS) to see a 100% charge to ensure correct calibration of the SOC calculation and therefore the available Range.

In truth, the Gen 1 ZS charger is not "designed to cope", but is in point of fact not designed to cope with the needs of NMC based Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) to set a daily limit SOC. With Gen 1 ZS, owners need to manage the maximum State of Charge for themselves. I would regularly estimate what 80% of the seasonally adjusted full charge should be mileage and unless I had a road trip that required the car's maximum range or I wished to force the monthly maintenance Balance/Equalisation Charge I would limit the charge time for a <80% SOC (assuming 25 miles per hour of charge time). As a rule of thumb, I'd assumed in Summer Full (100%) charge to be 163 miles and in Winter 130 miles. Therefore in Summer, I'd aim in the morning to see 130 miles and in Winter 112 miles after 2 to 3 hours at 7 kW.

Of course, if you need the full range the following day or you are plugged into a destination charger by all means charge to 100% and then use the car, but for the sake of battery health, with an NMC battery don't charge to 100% every day and then leave the car parked up. Doing so accelerates the degradation of the battery. I followed my own advice and had no noticeable range reduction or battery performance in over 3 years.

The exception to this is if you have an LFP battery chemistry which is quite different to NMC Chemistry and is definitely designed for 100% Daily Charge. This battery chemistry is in the Standard Range ZS Facelift and MG4 SR which have 51 kWh LFP. In fact, on the charge management screen, it isn't possible to set an 80% charge limit. It is also beneficial for the Battery Management System (BMS) to see a 100% charge to ensure correct calibration of the SOC calculation and therefore the available Range.
I'd say you've taken something completely out of context and then attempted to teach me to suck eggs, about a subject that I'm already versed in.

The onboard charger is intact designed to cope with the scenario which was being discussed which is a sudden interruption of power with no I'll effects to the charging system and HV contactor.

I'd say you've taken something completely out of context and then attempted to teach me to suck eggs, about a subject that I'm already versed in.

The onboard charger is intact designed to cope with the scenario which was being discussed which is a sudden interruption of power with no I'll effects to the charging system and HV contactor.
@Ayoull My apologies I have somehow posted my comment on the wrong thread. I had intended to comment on a thread concerning charging to only 80% and in which the statement in effect had been made that MG had with the 1 Gen ZS had designed it to cope with being daily charged to 100%.

Regarding your comment about teaching you to suck eggs I think is uncalled for. It should be remembered that there are MG owners and future MG owners on this forum of very varied knowledge and experience of EVs from complete novices to experts. If you find a post beneath your superior expertise then kindly ignore it as to do otherwise could discourage newbies and novices from asking genuine questions they have a need to ask. There is a lot of experience on this forum but we certainly don't want it to become elitest.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom