Tesla some good news?

Cushie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
FYI "The "open network" Tesla chargers being bought by EG (Asda) will enable all drivers to access them regardless of the brand of their vehicle, the company added.'

Is this correct? Good news if it is. However, I read the press reports as EG buying Tesla chargers to use at their own sites, rather than acquiring existing sites. The press reports are a bit ambiguous, though.

FYI "The "open network" Tesla chargers being bought by EG (Asda) will enable all drivers to access them regardless of the brand of their vehicle, the company added.'
Unless Tesla chargers don't work on your car of course.

Is this correct? Good news if it is. However, I read the press reports as EG buying Tesla chargers to use at their own sites, rather than acquiring existing sites. The press reports are a bit ambiguous, though.
I reads it to mean they will install them on their own sites, i.e. petrol forecourts. 🤷‍♂️

Im not sure of the advantage, they appear to be buying Tesla kit, as opposed to ABB or Kempower. The advantage of Tesla chargers (on the Tesla network) is a competitive price, if they are just rebranding Tesla boxes (like BP) they will charge their normal high rate.

Im not sure of the advantage, they appear to be buying Tesla kit, as opposed to ABB or Kempower. The advantage of Tesla chargers (on the Tesla network) is a competitive price, if they are just rebranding Tesla boxes (like BP) they will charge their normal high rate.
I think the advantage may be the locations. Imagine having charge points in every petrol station (in addition to other locations of course).

I think the advantage may be the locations. Imagine having charge points in every petrol station (in addition to other locations of course).
I'm not convinced the oil industry will ever embrace EVs. I think they'll just stick a couple of chargers round by the bins, charge high rates and have them out of service most of the time so their petrol customers see how bad EVs are (much like they did when they got grants to install them).

I'm not convinced the oil industry will ever embrace EVs. I think they'll just stick a couple of chargers round by the bins, charge high rates and have them out of service most of the time so their petrol customers see how bad EVs are (much like they did when they got grants to install them).
I work for an oil giant and the only company cars we are allowed to buy are electric. I myself can’t wait to get into an electric vehicle project soon (or for the project I’m on to be involved with electric vehicles)

I suspect that's purely down to tax incentives and lower fleet costs (possibly a little green washing too) rather than embracing the future of transportation.
From a business perspective, that makes sense and who wouldn’t?
But as someone who works there, certainly in the area of renewables and electric mobility, there is enough leadership aiming at that future to reassure me we’ll get there.
Myself and many others cycle to work and advocate sustainability. For some of us it’s a big deal and it’s why we work here.

We'll still need oil for a very long time even when no more cars run on fossil fuel, so they have plenty of other avenues to exploit.

We'll still need oil for a very long time even when no more cars run on fossil fuel, so they have plenty of other avenues to exploit.
True, I must admit I have no idea of what proportion car/van fuels contribute to their business. I wonder if petroleum became a waste product that they couldn't sell/burn/convert into something they could sell the other sides of the business would be viable?

Plastics?
Yep, and virtually everything is made of plastic these days, also fabrics like polyester, nylon and acrylic. A surprising number of other things too including lots of medical items such as antihistamine tablets and gels etc. etc. most drugs are organic molecules made using petrochemical polymer. Those that are not are often purified using petrochemicals.
The list is endless, so plenty of opportunities.

Yep, and virtually everything is made of plastic these days, also fabrics like polyester, nylon and acrylic. A surprising number of other things too including lots of medical items such as antihistamine tablets and gels etc. etc. most drugs are organic molecules made using petrochemical polymer. Those that are not are often purified using petrochemicals.
The list is endless, so plenty of opportunities.
Not quite endless, there are over 6,000 products derived from petrochemicals. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom