Tesla Supercharger Tip (Trafford Centre)

ajhayden93

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi All,

I've been using the local Tesla Super chargers near me (Trafford Centre, Manchester) and I thought I'd give a tip for anyone trying to use them.

My first few experiences were a little hit and miss and maybe everyone know's this already (Apologies)

Since I've been doing the below I've had no issues and a flawless experience using them.

1. Get out the vehicle
  2. Lock the car
  3. Unlock the car to open the charge port door
  4. Plug in the charger
  5. Start charging on the app
  6. Wait for the car to lock again (10-15 seconds)
  7. Unlock and get back in (Or leave it)

I've also paid for the monthly membership which gives a reduced rate for charging between certain hours (Rates shown below for Trafford centre)

12am - 4am: 25p per kWh
4am - 10am: 38p per kWh
10am - 8pm: 46p per kWh
8pm - 12am: 34p per kWh

I also have no issues getting the max charging rate 138kW-141kW so I can easily charge from 20%-80% within 15-20mins.

Please remove if this has already been posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I've been using the local Tesla Super chargers near me (Trafford Centre, Manchester) and I thought I'd give a tip for anyone trying to use them.

My first few experiences were a little hit and miss and maybe everyone know's this already (Apologies)

Since I've been doing the below I've had no issues and a flawless experience using them.

1. Get out the vehicle
  2. Lock the car
  3. Unlock the car to open the charge port door
  4. Plug in the charger
  5. Start charging on the app
  6. Wait for the car to lock again (10/15 seconds)
  7. Unlock and get back in (Or leave it)

I've also paid for the monthly membership which gives a reduced rate for charging between certain hours (Rates shown below for Trafford centre)

12am -4am - 25p Per KwH
4am - 10am - 38p Per KwH
10am - 8pm - 46p Per KwH
8pm - 12am - 34p Per Kwh

I also have no issues getting the max charging rate 138KW/141KW so I can easily charge from 20%-80% within 15/20mins

Please remove if this has already been posted.
It may depend what software updates you have. Mine just works on Tesla Superchargers without any locking or unlocking,

7.Unlock and get back in (Or leave it)
To which I would add:
8.If you leave the car charging while you go off to have a coffee, watch out! When the charge reaches 80% and stops, Tesla gives you a few minutes grace, then starts to charge you rent for occupying the space if you don't move the car. (It does warn you on the app.)

Basically, the Tesla superchargers are too quick!
(Tested at Ruxley centre, Sidcup)

To which I would add:
8.If you leave the car charging while you go off to have a coffee, watch out! When the charge reaches 80% and stops, Tesla gives you a few minutes grace, then starts to charge you rent for occupying the space if you don't move the car. (It does warn you on the app.)
For clarification, you'll be charged after your car stops charging (with the short grace period). That can be 80% if that's your charge limit set in the car, or whatever it is set to, or if you stop the charge manually.
They are fast!

I had heard that the charge only applied if at least half the chargers on the site were in use.
Not at Ruxley! I got the message on the app when there were only two cars there, out of a possible 12 (I think). I agree that what you propose would be reasonable, but evidently Tesla needs our money. They only sold 466,140 cars in Q2 2023.

Hi been to the Trafford centre this morning in the wife’s MG4SESR so I decide to try a Tesla supercharger to see if it would work with the 4 and it did at the second stall I tried on the first on the cable would not release for me to plug it into the car so I moved to a different one and that was OK when I started the charging the car was on 52% and when it started the charge it never went above 59kW of power going into the car which I found disappointing but to be fair I only charged for a few minutes as it was 69p/kWh. But I know it does work ok unlike my MG5 trophy edition which I have tried on 3 different Tesla superchargers and it won’t work at all
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi been to the Trafford centre this morning in the wife’s MG4SESR so I decide to try a Tesla supercharger to see if it would work with the 4 and it did at the second stall I tried on the first on the cable would not release for me to plug it into the car so I moved to a different one and that was OK when I started the charging the car was on 52% and when it started the charge it never went above 59% of power going into the car to be fair I only charged for a few minutes as it was 69ppkw. But I know it does work ok unlike my MG5 trophy edition which I have tried on 3 different Tesla superchargers and it won’t work at all
Les
Only some Tesla sites are open to other EVs. Luckily, the Trafford Centre is one of them.

To which I would add:

yeah very quick to 80% but they slow significantly after that so just set it to 100% and you should have enough time to finish your refreshments :D

Not sure how often it's updated but this is a useful link to find "Tesla Superchargers Open to Non-Tesla" vehicles :-

It gives full details once you scroll, zoom in and click on a marker.

Not sure how often it's updated but this is a useful link to find "Tesla Superchargers Open to Non-Tesla" vehicles :-

It gives full details once you scroll, zoom in and click on a marker.
That’s great my nearest is Charnock Richards. This forums great. Altho haven’t got mine yet I’m keeping a file for all the possible niggles and queries and of course chargers.

That’s great my nearest is Charnock Richards. This forums great. Altho haven’t got mine yet I’m keeping a file for all the possible niggles and queries and of course chargers.
Yeh say Charnock Richard’s so I assume you mean the services on the M6 but that is not available to anything but Tesla vehicles I believe so of no use to MG owners I’m sorry to say
Les

@AB71 - You need to turn off all except the "Superchargers open to Non-Tesla" filter on the top left of the Tesla map.
This shows your nearest usable one is the Trafford Centre.

Another way to find them is to use the "Tesla public superchargers" filter on Zap Map.

Last edited:
Oh I must’ve done it wrong I pressed open to non Tesla vehicles. One came up East Liverpool but when pressed it’s not built yet lol
Edit Ok Wonko thanks I didnt do that.

Oh I must’ve done it wrong I pressed open to non Tesla vehicles. One came up East Liverpool but when pressed it’s not built yet lol
Edit Ok Wonko thanks I didnt do that.
Yeah, it's a bit backwards in that you have to turn off everything you don't want instead of just selecting what you do want.
To complicate matters, everywhere you see news of Tesla installing "V4" superchargers, those are open to all EVs.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back