Tesla Supercharger Tip (Trafford Centre)

Oh I must’ve done it wrong I pressed open to non Tesla vehicles. One came up East Liverpool but when pressed it’s not built yet lol
Edit Ok Wonko thanks I didnt do that.
It should looks like this, when you de-select the remaining Tesla owners rapids and other services.
This screen grab will now only show the NON - Tesla units in this chosen location.
The other de-selected tabs are show in grey.

Non - Tesla Rapids  2023-09-28 at 13.12.02.png

So now I know my wife’s MG4 works on Tesla at the Trafford centre I’m going to go there again and try my MG5 trophy on them chargers there I have tried it 2/3 times at Banbury without any luck so if it won’t work at the Trafford centre I will just need the get my dealer to sort out my MG5.
Les

Ok at the Trafford tried 4 different stalls with out any luck 2 of the ones I tried that would not work with my MG5, when I pulled out a BMW pulled in behind me and charged his car and another a Kia eNiro went on after I pulled off another and charged without issue, and yet a third after I pulled off was taken up by a DPD delivery van and again had no issues charging his van along with 4/5 others all charging on the Tesla superchargers without any trouble also while I was there a chap with a ZS trophy also could not charge looks like an issue with MGs which I will report to my dealer in a month or 2 when I have my first service up until then I will manage.
IMG_6080.jpeg
Les.

Ok at the Trafford tried 4 different stalls with out any luck 2 of the ones I tried that would not work with my MG5, when I pulled out a BMW pulled in behind me and charged his car and another a Kia eNiro went on after I pulled off another and charged without issue, and yet a third after I pulled off was taken up by a DPD delivery van and again had no issues charging his van along with 4/5 others all charging on the Tesla superchargers without any trouble also while I was there a chap with a ZS trophy also could not charge looks like an issue with MGs which I will report to my dealer in a month or 2 when I have my first service up until then I will manage.

Les.
I use Tesla quite a lot (MG4), never had any issues, but as I only really use them, the sequence works for me, in that you plug in then select the unit on the app, however today i needed an extra 20 miles ( @ MFG EV Power) to get home, so did the same, but it wasn't happy - so had to lock / unlock car to remove the CCS head, then select the charger on the app, then plug in again. What sequence are you using at Tesla?

Last edited:
View attachment 20426
Les.
Well Les, if nothing else now, you have 100% proved that its the MG5 and not the Tesla super charger thats the issue here.
Sounds like the guy in the ZS EV Trophy has the same problem.
But hand on heart, I think we already knew that this was likely to be the outcome to be honest (n).
I believe that charging protocols for Tesla super chargers ( for some MG's ) where never set up or tested / proven for compatibility on these two cars is my own view.
We know through Miles that a camo disguised ZS EV facelift models where spotted at various different charging stations up and down the U.K. before it's launch.
It was reported that it was likely carrying out field trials, for it's ability to receive a charge from the many different types / makes of rapid units in the U.K. prior to it's launch.
At this point in time, I don't believe any of the Tesla units had been opened up to the non - Tesla population.
So, is THIS why there charging protocol / compatibility was never checked 🤷‍♂️.
The non Tesla charging units where up and running when the newer MG4 model was released, so it was likely coded already for non Tesla units.
We know from other MG drivers, that it IS possible to receive a charge from a non - Tesla units for ZS EV at least, IF the modules are correctly updated with the latest software.
The debate appears to be, WHO should be paying for this work to be carried out.
Well I think we all agree it should not be the owner, so that leaves either MG paying or the dealer.
We know these updates have to be conducted in a timely and correct sequence, or it can be a absolute nightmare.
An EV tech could have this completed in only a short couple of hours, or it could take all day !.
The dealer naturally and rightfully, wants paying for their time spent on the car.
This is where the whole problem starts and finishes.
All three parties are unwilling to pickup the tab for the work, for ALL the different reasons we have spoken about in this thread.
So, it becomes a pure stalemate situation, it's as simple as that in my eye's.
The message from MG has been clearly communicated in the following manner :- If a customer directly requests this facility, then this is seen as a chargeable cost option to the customer.
Which can be translated like this :- "Pay up, or shut up" in simple english.
Will some dealers conduct this works FOC ?.
Yes - I do expect SOME will, but it will be on a customer by customer basis and clearly on the relationship you have with that dealer, plus the volume of custom / business you have given them in the past / future.
Of course the dealer knows they will be standing the cost of time involved here.

Hi Jeff I appreciate all you have written above and agree with many parts of it but the point is that if you where to walk into Curry’s to purchase a TV set and some sales person said to you the Sony sets are good but they won’t receive ITV but the other sets here from LG or Philips etc will, would you buy the Sony.

Or if when you had purchased your Sony set and got it home set up and you find it will not get certain stations you would take it back and would you expect it to be fixed with out any charge to you the customer would you agree?

I understand and appreciate where Miles Robert’s is coming from it’s not the dealership that are at fault it is MG motors, but as with the TVs if the salesmen said to you in the show room nice cars these are but you can’t charge them on what is one of the cheapest and fastest rapid chargers there is, you would walk out of the door to buy something else that will charge everywhere.

I also agree where you have said maybe the early cars where never set up for In this case, Tesla charging as at that time Tesla was for Tesla but when this latest models late 2022 MG5 trophy came on sale here in the UK Tesla superchargers had been open to all for several months, only 15 to start with but now more I think, with I’m sure more to come as they roll out there V4 models which also have card readers I believe, and it should have been tried on one, even the earlier cars should be updated without cost to the owner I was shocked to hear one member here had been charged over £100 to have the updates loaded to his vehicle and paid it, I paid over £30,000 for an electric car but I didn’t expect that in some areas I could not charge it quicker and cheaper at times than others chargers otherwise I would never have bought it in the first place, Tesla charge different prices depending on the time of day the lowest I think being 34p and up-to 69p when many others are asking higher prices of 70/80p plus per KW. So why would you not use tesla if you can but the fact some MG vehicles can’t is not right in my view.

I can’t see why MG or there dealers can’t get this put right as yet I have not approached my dealer and if it’s fixed without charge to me the customer happy days but these cars should never have been sold like this in the first place any electric vehicle should be able to be charged wherever there’s a charge point no matter who’s name is on it in my honest opinion jeff I’m sure you agree.
Les

I use Tesla quite a lot (MG4), never had any issues, but as I only really use them, the sequence works for me, in that you plug in then select the unit on the app, however today i needed an extra 20 miles ( @ MFG EV Power) to get home, so did the same, but it wasn't happy - so had to lock / unlock car to remove the CCS head, then select the charger on the app, then plug in again. What sequence are you using at Tesla?
Hi I did exactly as you said open the Tesla app plugged in selected the stall number in the app and selected start charging done this now 3/4 times with the MG5 unable to charge.
Now with the wife’s MG4 I did the same thing and it charge right away no problem I’m not the only one here to have a problem with the 5 so I took the time and trouble first to check the 4 would charge then went back with my 5 and it won’t so there’s nothing a miss with the charger it’s the car and as I said it’s not only my car or me that’s doing something wrong.
Les

Hi I did exactly as you said open the Tesla app plugged in selected the stall number in the app and selected start charging done this now 3/4 times with the MG5 unable to charge.
Now with the wife’s MG4 I did the same thing and it charge right away no problem I’m not the only one here to have a problem with the 5 so I took the time and trouble first to check the 4 would charge then went back with my 5 and it won’t so there’s nothing a miss with the charger it’s the car and as I said it’s not only my car or me that’s doing something wrong.
Les
I seem to remember some MG4s had to have a software update to be able to use the Tesla chargers so as you said perhaps they will update your MG5 when it has its service.

FWIW, I just tried the xpowers first rapid charge here and it worked fine (as expected from the rest of this thread I guess.)
Shame about the MG5, seems nuts but there you go.

I seem to remember some MG4s had to have a software update to be able to use the Tesla chargers so as you said perhaps they will update your MG5 when it has its service.

Good morning Ian, well the wifes MG4 was one of the very first to arrive here and this week is the first time it’s been anywhere near a rapid charger of any type and it was fine on the Tesla at Trafford.
It has had only one trip back to the dealers for the doors not opening recall, and at the same time they fitted the modified gearbox oil breather even though we had not notice any oil leaks so weather or not that up date for the door locks had anything to do with charging I don’t know ,the other thing apparently strange to our MG4 is the lane keep assist LKA remains where it is set in our case off.
Les

Last edited:
Hi Jeff I appreciate all you have written above and agree with many parts of it but the point is that if you where to walk into Curry’s to purchase a TV set and some sales person said to you the Sony sets are good but they won’t receive ITV but the other sets here from LG or Philips etc will, would you buy the Sony.

Or if when you had purchased your Sony set and got it home set up and you find it will not get certain stations you would take it back and would you expect it to be fixed with out any charge to you the customer would you agree?

I understand and appreciate where Miles Robert’s is coming from it’s not the dealership that are at fault it is MG motors, but as with the TVs if the salesmen said to you in the show room nice cars these are but you can’t charge them on what is one of the cheapest and fastest rapid chargers there is, you would walk out of the door to buy something else that will charge everywhere.

I also agree where you have said maybe the early cars where never set up for In this case, Tesla charging as at that time Tesla was for Tesla but when this latest models late 2022 MG5 trophy came on sale here in the UK Tesla superchargers had been open to all for several months, only 15 to start with but now more I think, with I’m sure more to come as they roll out there V4 models which also have card readers I believe, and it should have been tried on one, even the earlier cars should be updated without cost to the owner I was shocked to hear one member here had been charged over £100 to have the updates loaded to his vehicle and paid it, I paid over £30,000 for an electric car but I didn’t expect that in some areas I could not charge it quicker and cheaper at times than others chargers otherwise I would never have bought it in the first place, Tesla charge different prices depending on the time of day the lowest I think being 34p and up-to 69p when many others are asking higher prices of 70/80p plus per KW. So why would you not use tesla if you can but the fact some MG vehicles can’t is not right in my view.

I can’t see why MG or there dealers can’t get this put right as yet I have not approached my dealer and if it’s fixed without charge to me the customer happy days but these cars should never have been sold like this in the first place any electric vehicle should be able to be charged wherever there’s a charge point no matter who’s name is on it in my honest opinion jeff I’m sure you agree.
Les
I do agree 100% ( like I said in my post ) Les that MG should pick up the tab for this work, but as it stands at the moment, they have dug in their heels and are not willing to cover the time spent by the dealer updating these cars.
This leaves the dealer in a difficult position.
Do they carry out the work FOC and keep the customer happy or risk upsetting a long established customer by asking them for payment for the work ????.
If the process goes through okay, it may take as little as one hour to complete.
If the server is playing up, it could take hours to complete.
That is lost time by the tech that the dealer is not getting paid for.
MG should be reimbursing the time the dealer needs to update the car !.
Many thanks for your comments Les.

I do agree 100% ( like I said in my post ) Les that MG should pick up the tab for this work, but as it stands at the moment, they have dug in their heels and are not willing to cover the time spent by the dealer updating these cars.
This leaves the dealer in a difficult position.
Do they carry out the work FOC and keep the customer happy or risk upsetting a long established customer by asking them for payment for the work ????.
If the process goes through okay, it may take as little as one hour to complete.
If the server is playing up, it could take hours to complete.
That is lost time by the tech that the dealer is not getting paid for.
MG should be reimbursing the time the dealer needs to update the car !.
Many thanks for your comments Les.
I can't even find a dealer that admits there is an update in existence, let alone install it. Mind you one of them did try to bill me for replacement of my engineoil, oil filters and fuel filters and disposal of the old ones. Plus ÂŁ65 extra to tell me the state of the battery. This was at 2nd service.

Hi steve just read your post and you say a dealer tried to bill you for oil and filters but you don’t say who or what dealer that was, in case you don’t know there is a thread on this forum where you can comment on dealers and that one deserves to be named and shamed for others to see and avoid IMHO
Les.

Last edited:
When I'm going to the homeland, Gretna is my usual pit-stop, so that's promising. It may also mean that the existing chargers (Ionity, GridServe and Apple Green) may reduce their pricing to compete. :)

I had no idea I could charge EV4 at a Tesla Supercharger. Can you use them all ie 250KW or do you have to choose the older Tesla chargers. Also I assume you also need a Tesla to deal with the billing?

I had no idea I could charge EV4 at a Tesla Supercharger. Can you use them all ie 250KW or do you have to choose the older Tesla chargers. Also I assume you also need a Tesla to deal with the billing?
The car controls the speed of the charge so you connect to a 250kWh charger but it will only deliver what the car tells it to.

You need to download the Tesla app and link a debit/credit card to it. The app will also tell you which Tesla chargers are open to all EVs.

.... its a mix of old ones, however going forward, many are the are going to be V4's - which have contactless & longer charge cables (and open to all EV's) - currently there are 25 supercharger stations available to any EV, you use the tesla app to activate charging - the good thing is they always seem to have capacity, but are also cheaper than the competition, and for ÂŁ10.99 / month you can charge at the same rates as tesla owners.

When I'm going to the homeland, Gretna is my usual pit-stop, so that's promising. It may also mean that the existing chargers (Ionity, GridServe and Apple Green) may reduce their pricing to compete. :)

I doubt it, at least to start with, I think at Reading, UK - Westbound (Exeter & Swansea?) they are working alongside Gridserve (as at many UK motorway locations), where they have banks of V4 Tesla superchargers (open to all EV's), at 50p/kWh max., opposite banks of Gridserve superchargers (open to all at 69p/kWh)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back