Tesla Supercharger membership now £8.99p/m or £90 for year

We stopped at Southwaite twice last year on a drive down. The Gridserve CCS chargers work well, there's just not that many of them.

Westmorland's still under construction it seems (Electric Charging - Westmorland Family) though ZapMap tells me Southbound at Tebay now has 2 bays of 2 104kW chargers. Not enormous but that's something. Northbound has 3 2x150kW and 2 2x104kW.

We use MFG (8 bays) at J27 (Wigan) and IONITY (12 bays) at J44 Carlisle North), never had to queue & are as fast as the car will handle - shame so expensive though.

We took a trip to Trentham Gardens a couple of weeks ago, just to test out the Tesla chargers (we hadn't tried them before).
It was quite funny, reversed into the last space of a line of mostly full chargers, and sat in the car for a couple of minutes while we worked out what to do. Sitting there, an enormous ICE volvo pulled into the space next to us, obviously thinking that because we were there, he could just park there too. As soon as we got out and put the charging cable in, he pulled back out and went to try to find a space elsewhere.
There was a really high turnover of charging cars while we were there, mostly Teslas, but a few others too. There were always at least a couple of charging spaces available.

Last edited:
We stopped at Southwaite twice last year on a drive down. The Gridserve CCS chargers work well, there's just not that many of them.

Westmorland's still under construction it seems (Electric Charging - Westmorland Family) though ZapMap tells me Southbound at Tebay now has 2 bays of 2 104kW chargers. Not enormous but that's something. Northbound has 3 2x150kW and 2 2x104kW.

I see you're right. Only four plugs southbound though? That's not much given the probable demand.

We use MFG (8 bays) at J27 (Wigan) and IONITY (12 bays) at J44 Carlisle North), never had to queue & are as fast as the car will handle - shame so expensive though.
From where @Rolfe and myself reside then Carlisle North is probably a tad too soon if heading south down the M74/M6. :)

I found it very good on the way home last Christmas though.

I was heading for Halifax, and I reckoned as you said that Carlisle was too soon going south because if I charged there I still wouldn't make it all the way to Halifax (without charging to 100%) and would be stuck with stopping again. I went for Penrith and got charged at the Rheged Discovery Centre, although Tebay would actually be better now there are some chargers on the southbound side (only four CCS plugs though).

But going the other way, Carlisle at 113 miles from Halifax, was pretty much perfect. Starting at 100% I got there easily, and there were plenty plugs free. I think I'm going to arrange homeward-bound trips to stop there in future. Last time I came up from Sussex I stopped at Burton-in-Kendal which isn't actually gourmet central although the chargers are good, and I had to hang around till the car was about 93% to get all the way home from there.

For those heading up or down the M1 the Mour hotel at J27 is now on the app as open to all

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-23-17-43-32-529_com.brave.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-23-17-43-32-529_com.brave.browser.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 17
For those heading up or down the M1 the Mour hotel at J27 is now on the app as open to all
Brilliant - I'm visiting a company just round the corner from there tomorrow and will need a charge.

Brilliant - I'm visiting a company just round the corner from there tomorrow and will need a charge.
As an update - I charged at the Mour hotel without any problems, plenty of empty chargers :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back