IME "renewal" prices are always over inflated. I'm always straight onto the comparison sites for a reasonable quote. Usually end up switching but occasionally a little haggling with the existing provider can yield a good result.
Yeah, I’ve haggled with the AA before with different cars and I’ll be doing the same with the MG4.

I thought it was the law now to be offered the same price regardless of being a new or existing customer to prevent existing customers who auto renew from not being ripped off!

I managed to get it down to £550. The higher price was based upon the as new price of my car, so we came to a more realistic valuation one year on. It should come down a good chunk next year as well. Apparently, all electric cars have been hit with a big price rise.

We had a good chat about stolen Range Rovers and London and how these two factors are having a big effect on the entire car insurance market.

Mine came through this week down 50 quid to £338. I called the broker Adrian Flux after checking the policy as i have recently retired from the police and currently not working. They came back with the amended quote just under £200 more for now being retired . Thats ABC insurance which is part of LV. I binned them off and took out a policy with privilege for £370.

Mine came through this week down 50 quid to £338. I called the broker Adrian Flux after checking the policy as i have recently retired from the police and currently not working. They came back with the amended quote just under £200 more for now being retired . Thats ABC insurance which is part of LV. I binned them off and took out a policy with privilege for £370.
That seems like a good deal, AdyC. If you have ten plus years of no claims bonus, then for the life of me I don’t understand why your insurance should go up by more than inflation.

I've had my Trophy for 2 months when I advised the insurance Co I was told no change from my diesel puegeot 3008 just admin charge. Renewal is 1st March and have had price of £600 up from £330 (what happened to no change?). Did all the comparisons and Tesco was the best. Offered £329 silver cover or £349 gold cover which included mis fueling cover, didn't know I could put wrong type of electric in. Took silver cover.

Another thing worth checking is whether it covers your EVSE.
Mine (LV=) does.

That seems like a good deal, AdyC. If you have ten plus years of no claims bonus, then for the life of me I don’t understand why your insurance should go up by more than inflation.
I'll take a guess and say now he's retired he has 40 or more hours a week in which he can drive his car. More mileage, more risk.

Has anyone had Third Party Fire & Theft only insurance and can comment on the price increase? If the insurers have figured out that it is more expensive to fix electric cars (and thus are asking for bigger premiums) the Third Party Fire & Theft version should not have been affected, right?

I had a bit more luck after a complaint regarding my inflated insurance quote for renewal upon retiring from the police. LV have made contact and the broker had got the price wrong as something hadn't been applied to the policy. 'Its now £315 fully comp protected NCB, business use for the wife with 10k miles a year.
That's probably over the amount of miles I would do as the MX5 does most of the weekend work now. Very competitive probably due to the area I live in etc.

Just received the insurance renewal from my broker for £650, a lot more than the £450 for last year when I could only give 2 days notice.
I went on the Money Saving Experts website and settled on Aviva Zero for £390. Out of courtesy I rang my broker, I've been using them for over 25 years, to give them a chance to modify their quote. Despite them being able to match other quotes in the past this time they didn't even try and even emailed me proof of my NCD 5 minutes later.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom