The one really irritating thing about the MG5...

Only had my 5 for 3 weeks, what bugs me is that you have to go through clicking on the SatNav then accepting it, my old car had the same system from Naviextras, albeit in a Pioneer Infotainment addon, but it started up itself, momentarily pausing at the OK bit, then carrying on to the map, next problem is the phone Contacts arrangement, they aren't in the proper order, unless there is some way I can alter that, which I haven't come across, that's about it really until I can find summats else to moan about...

No beeps here, my phone is always in my pocket, my keys are always in my pocket and my lights are always on "AUTO". :giggle:
smug GIF

No mobile signal where I live so never bother with a mobile phone (makes a good drinks coaster)
Total usage of phone on a £10 pay as you go is £3.12 over the last 3 years most of the calls are just text message to keep account alive. Mind you a solution to help find my wallet would be very helpful .
Try a Tile Pro.
Has a replaceable battery.

Only had my 5 for 3 weeks, what bugs me is that you have to go through clicking on the SatNav then accepting it, my old car had the same system from Naviextras, albeit in a Pioneer Infotainment addon, but it started up itself, momentarily pausing at the OK bit, then carrying on to the map, next problem is the phone Contacts arrangement, they aren't in the proper order, unless there is some way I can alter that, which I haven't come across, that's about it really until I can find summats else to moan about...
Use a proper satnav. :) You mentioned on anther thread about what's best to do on a long journey, well one thing is to use a satnav that will warn you and divert you from that 2 hour traffic jam in front before you get stuck in it. The built in satnav won't.

Like when I climb the stairs ( with a badly performed knee replacement ) get up there and hear myself saying :- “Now, what did want from up here ?”.
I saw Dave Allen a couple of times on stage. One story he told went a bit like this:-

So yesterday, I was on the stairs and I suddenly thought to myself - why am I doing this? So I thought - right. I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to sit on this stair until I remember what I was up to. And ten minutes later, not only could I not remember what it was I was doing, I couldn't remember whether I was halfway up the stairs going down, or halfway down the stairs going up!

I find it annoying that bongs go off for practically everything apart from leaving the charging flap open- hence why I managed to do 100 miles of motorway driving with this not being detected until a very helpful driver told me when I was 10 yards from my hotel!

I find it annoying that bongs go off for practically everything apart from leaving the charging flap open- hence why I managed to do 100 miles of motorway driving with this not being detected until a very helpful driver told me when I was 10 yards from my hotel!
Yep. Done this a few times.

I love my 5 but these few are annoying at times.
Not being able to fold forward the rear seat swabs I know you can take the whole swab out but what a faff even more so putting it back in.
No interior lighting in the rear but thank goodness this appears to have been addressed on the updated model still to arrive in the UK.
Water droplets in the car when it raining even with the windows only open a very tiny amount to help with demising.
The rear seat belts when your are trying to fasten them how they push down into the seats.
Les

Most annoying thing for me is the radio that keeps coming on when you start the car up. I never listen to the radio - it's either audiobooks or apple music. It's always full blast since I have the volume up to 25 or so to hear the audiobook properly. I know turning the volume to zero solves this but then I miss a few lines of my book before I realise the volume is down.

When I first got the car DAB wasn't set so it was bliss, then I foolishly "saved" the unset channel and scanned for channels just to make sure DAB was working properly and then the "saved" channel hadn't saved. Wish I'd never touched it.
Just this! If Ive been using the BT via my phone (which I do most of the time) then later get in the car without my phone or with the BT turned off after 10 seconds it goes to AM radio which is just noise and scares the crap out of me.
The "take your key" thing happens to me if I have my key in my left pocket, it must think I've put my key in the emergency position in the centre console. With it in my right pocket it doesn't do it.
Finally why the hell doesn't the car have a courtesy light in the back? It's like a black hole back there, especially with the black "leather".
Simon

Use a proper satnav. :) You mentioned on anther thread about what's best to do on a long journey, well one thing is to use a satnav that will warn you and divert you from that 2 hour traffic jam in front before you get stuck in it. The built in satnav won't.

Plus 1 for this. I use my trusty and faithful TomTom with live traffic and lifetime free updates.

Plus 1 for this. I use my trusty and faithful TomTom with live traffic and lifetime free updates.
I have a Tom TOM PRO 7” truck with traffic and it’s great as I can set weight length height speed and I’ve got the traffic as well

OK, obviously, this is a personal gripe and others may disagree. But this one really gets to me.

You leave the MG5 with your lights still on - and it "beeps" at you when you try to lock it. That's fine.

You leave your keys in the car - and it "beeps" at you again. Good, you obviously don't want to leave the keys in the car.

You've been using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, and you leave the phone attached to the USB cable. You leave the car, try to lock it, and it says "You want to leave your phone in the car? Fine by me!" - and LETS YOU DO IT!!! And you walk away from the car, and ten minutes later you realize that you've left the f***ing thing in the f***ing car and you've got to go back for it...

I mean - really? How hard could it be to "beep" at you and not lock the car if your phone is still attached?

...mutter mutter mutter mutter...

Anyone agree with me? Anyone have other trivial gripes that annoy them immensely?
I leave my lights on automatic but agree, a take your phone with you would be useful. 👍

Usually keep my phone in my pocket, only listen to the radio. But if I'm using Android auto for navigation, then I forget the phone. Hmmm

Had my MG5 for about a year now. Really happy, but there are a couple of things that make me scream:

• The radio coming on at startup whether you like or not.
  • The screen having a five second delay before telling you that you put your lights on dipped/main beam.
  • Android Auto having a flap since upgrading to Android 12

Honestly, that’s pretty much it. I have the basic pov-spec SR car, and it’s comfortable, quiet, and as quick as I need it. Find it somehow a much more relaxing drive than the Vlogo V70 I had previously.

Hi there Ian, that light looks great, would you let us know where we could obtain one from please.
See this thread for information (there's alternates in there too):

"Believe it or not it is from a jaguar
I sourced it years ago for my camper van conversion but never used it
It’s wired directly from the front interior lamp"

Last edited:
See this thread for information (there's alternates in there too):

"Believe it or not it is from a jaguar
I sourced it years ago for my camper van conversion but never used it
It’s wired directly from the front interior
Thanks Ian for the insight, my car is on contract hire so I'll be looking at one of those USB rechargeable magnet lamps, as I don't want any excuse for excess payments in 4 years time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom