The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

Hi TB18, I’m sure this should increase / improved as the mileage goes up.
I to have just got a MG5 uplifted version or mark 2 MG5 and I’m showing about 500 miles now and 2.7 MPKH on the screen I can see you have taken a picture of the screen which is in my view the longer term Accumulated figures this in my honest opinion is what the car achieves over many thousands of miles, there is another screen which is headed current journey, for day to day checks which is the better to use in my view, I have never ever on any car reset or Zeroed the accumulate screen only the current journey counter but I must admit the mk1 did appear to have far better figures than this new one but given time I’m sure it will improve especially as the weather improves and temperatures also increase I sure hope so anyhow as stated around 500 miles on mine yours has 760. Miles early days yet.

The current journey counter can go up and down like a yo-yo depending on many factors My mk1 MG5 averaged 4.7 mpkh over 18500 miles picture on here some on the accumulated count but on the currant that’s been down to 3ish and up over 5 many times in the right conditions best bet for me is to drive and enjoy the ride and recharge as it needs it.
Les

It's been pretty chilly up here in Cumbria, minus 10 one morning last week 😬 but my LR has been averaging between 3.3 and 3.7 depending on the type of journeys.
It's a big drop from the low to high 4s (and sometimes 5) that I get in warmer temperatures but nothing like some others seem to be suffering. I think 175 was the lowest "tankfull" I've seen over the winter so far 🤔

Edit: incidentally my car has just over 21k on the clock so the gentleman above may have a significant point 🙂

Keep in mind the purpose of this thread which is to compare different cars against a common baseline. One calendar month of driving and ideally no special efforts to maximise or minimise consumption.

Mileage jan 23.jpg

This month has one reasonable run out, Southampton to Bournemout Airport to collect 4 large chaps and their bags. Car was a touch cramped, but handled the extra weight very well.

Other than that, all short local runs 5 to 10 miles. The efficiency is reflecting mainly the weather which has been pretty chilly this month. The bonus is that there's been no charging away from home so it's all at 7.5p a KW. No problems at all, even the wahers kept working even on the coldest days.

Last day of the month again so here's the January pic:

20230131_160639.jpg

Just very slightly better than December.

Well this marks the end of the first year of data collection(y)
Picture for February:

February 2023.jpg

Good to see that the better temperatures have just brought it back to the 4.x range.

Looking back over the whole 12 months, my readings were:

• Mar 22 - 4.0
  • Apr 22 - 4.2
  • May 22 - 4.4
  • Jun 22 - 4.5
  • Jul 22 - 4.3
  • Aug 22 - 4.4
  • Sep 22 - 4.3
  • Oct 22 - 4.3
  • Nov 22 - 3.8
  • Dec 22 - 3.3
  • Jan 23 - 3.4
  • Feb 23 - 4.0
That gives me 9 months of the year getting 4+ miles/kWh with November falling marginally short of that datum. Only 2 months fell into the low 3.x range so overall, I have to say that I'm quite pleased with MG5 Mk1 SR energy consumption.

To reiterate my opening piece on this thread, the overwhelming majority of my driving is in Normal mode with KERS set to 3. I make no particular effort to maximise or minimise economy and my journeys are a mix of rural, town and motorway driving.

Here is my February figure.
I needed a few more days of warmer weather to make it look better.

Attachments

• IMG_20230228_225953.jpg
    IMG_20230228_225953.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 45
Picture for February:

View attachment 15552

Good to see that the better temperatures have just brought it back to the 4.x range.

• Mar 22 - 4.0
  • Apr 22 - 4.2
  • May 22 - 4.4
  • Jun 22 - 4.5
  • Jul 22 - 4.3
  • Aug 22 - 4.4
  • Sep 22 - 4.3
  • Oct 22 - 4.3
  • Nov 22 - 3.8
  • Dec 22 - 3.3
  • Jan 23 - 3.4
  • Feb 23 - 4.0
That gives me 9 months of the year getting 4+ miles/kWh with November falling marginally short of that datum. Only 2 months fell into the low 3.x range so overall, I have to say that I'm quite pleased with MG5 Mk1 SR energy consumption.

To reiterate my opening piece on this thread, the overwhelming majority of my driving is in Normal mode with KERS set to 3. I make no particular effort to maximise or minimise economy and my journeys are a mix of rural, town and motorway driving.
I applaud your record keeping and even more so your driving techniques employed in producing those figures. I’m not nearly so disciplined with the former but think I drive in a similar sympathetic manner (or perhaps just pathetic)
Today we set off to buy some fish for the freezer. We left with the dashboard on our 15,000 mile MG5 mk1 long range showing 82% and the GOM predicting 225 miles. Waze said our destination in Arbroath was a round trip of 190 miles using the M90 / A90 over the Queen’s Crossing bridge, the Friarton bridge near Perth, and the Kingsway through Dundee.
We’re back home with 12% and a 32 miles remaining story from gom. The roads were dry with very little wind and the temperature was around 9 deg. with fairly light traffic. Two of us and an electric mobility scooter in the car (plus a fine shoal of haddock on the way back - some plain and some smoked 👌)

I applaud your record keeping and even more so your driving techniques employed in producing those figures. I’m not nearly so disciplined with the former but think I drive in a similar sympathetic manner (or perhaps just pathetic)
Today we set off to buy some fish for the freezer. We left with the dashboard on our 15,000 mile MG5 mk1 long range showing 82% and the GOM predicting 225 miles. Waze said our destination in Arbroath was a round trip of 190 miles using the M90 / A90 over the Queen’s Crossing bridge, the Friarton bridge near Perth, and the Kingsway through Dundee.
We’re back home with 12% and a 32 miles remaining story from gom. The roads were dry with very little wind and the temperature was around 9 deg. with fairly light traffic. Two of us and an electric mobility scooter in the car (plus a fine shoal of haddock on the way back - some plain and some smoked 👌)
thats a lot of fish Arch, why not trade in the 5 for a wee fishing boat - save on your 190mls !

thats a lot of fish Arch, why not trade in the 5 for a wee fishing boat - save on your 190mls !
Aye but that’s my master plan Eddie - invert the car and use that - the latest MG seaV. Also has the added advantage that it delivers itself 🤣🤣

Picture for February:

View attachment 15552

• Mar 22 - 4.0
  • Apr 22 - 4.2
  • May 22 - 4.4
  • Jun 22 - 4.5
  • Jul 22 - 4.3
  • Aug 22 - 4.4
  • Sep 22 - 4.3
  • Oct 22 - 4.3
  • Nov 22 - 3.8
  • Dec 22 - 3.3
  • Jan 23 - 3.4
  • Feb 23 - 4.0

Nice to see a year's worth in one post! My stats since getting the LR car at the end of June are similar...
  • Jul 22 - 4.4
  • Aug 22 - 4.6
  • Sep 22 - 4.6
  • Oct 22 - 4.2
  • Nov 22 - 3.8
  • Dec 22 - 3.6
  • Jan 23 - 3.7
  • Feb 23 - 4.1

As a 4 Trophy driver - I'm jealous ! - My Average over my entire 3.5k miles is only 3.2 & that is a mixture of all roads conditions and ALWAYS on Eco Mode and highest regen..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom