The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

Had my car since March last year, noticed my first bit of warmer weather improvement just now. Little trip out to Tesco, set off with 81% battery and 187 miles range, did an 8 mile round trip, town driving on normal mode and kers 2, got back with 82% battery and 188 miles range 👍👍👍

Had a run out yesterday for a spot of lunch in Goathland. 4 up and a mixture of A roads, dual carriageway and country roads. Temperature when we set off was 9 degrees and dropped to a miserable 6 degrees in Heartbeat land with a bitter wind coming off the North Sea. Even had to turn on the heating for the return journey for some distance until we got back to warmer climes with temperature a nice 13/14 degrees. Driving mode was Normal and mostly KERS 3. Overall economy improving now despit having to climb a 1 in 4 (25%) hill leaving Goathland, which it just flew up.
For all those that bought their first EV over last winter the good times are coming. :)

1680944989035.jpeg

I’ve done two long drives of around 150 miles each trip and averaged bang on 4 miles per kWh.

Trip down to London was my first long drive in the MG5 Facelift, trip down was in heavy wet wind and rain and hail when I got to London but the trip back was near perfect! And even though I had to put the heater on I still managed 4miles per kWh!

Then yesterday we drove to Norfolk for the day and managed bang on 4 miles per kWh in both directions!

But here’s the thing! I don’t think I’m going to get much more than 200 miles out of the car on a single charge! And that is my biggest gripe with the MG5! It’s not long range by any stretch of the imagination! Don’t get me wrong, it is a lovely vehicle and drives and rides quite nicely but it’s range is it’s Achilles heal. It really does need a far bigger battery!

Here is my April '23 results.
I had the 'radio module disconnected' come up so the battery was removed so lost over half a month. But 3.9m/kWh is not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_165048.jpg
    IMG_20230430_165048.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 49
Mileage may 1.jpg

Mega month... two runs to Leeds and back so my daughter's dog could have a holiday while they were on theirs :rolleyes:... a run to Gatwick and back dropping and collecting friends... consumption starting to improve as the temps come up...

Also first service done by Richmond Southampton, excellent service, even phoned when it was finished rather than leaving it until near closing time...

I was up at the fully charged show yesterday and the only sensible car I fancied, should I ever change the 5, was the BYD dolphin, very nice, but a bit pricey...

I don't mess with it either, not really that interested but slightly annoyingly it seems to get reset at service. In my last car I had the stats from when I bought the car.

I never reset the accumulated counter but as Smokie has said above it does appear to get reset when in for service the other one the current journey one resets itself every time the car has been switched off for around an hour
les

Only a small sample I know but considering the weather during April, surprised at the number not getting to 4.x.

Only a small sample I know but considering the weather during April, surprised at the number not getting to 4.x.
I hear what you're saying but most times I've driven this month the dash temp has beeen giving 6 to 10degC... and I live in Southampton...

hope springs eternal tho'... it's been lovely the last few days. 😓

Been another busy month. Mix of local driving, journeys into London, 180 mile round trip to Norwich and two 400 mile round trips to Cardiff. The latter were in torrential rain both ways. Never stopped to charge at any time; I charged only whilst I was stopped for other reasons. Completely drama free

Attachments

• PXL_20230503_125450369.jpg
    PXL_20230503_125450369.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 45
Can I ask 1) on long motorway style journeys what speed are you driving to get > 3m/kwh and 2) on these motorway journeys is there a difference using ACC to not?

I did a round trip of about 90 miles, mostly motorway, the other day and got about 3.8 in the daytime and 3.5 at night - same distance, same speed (pretty much 65mph all the way on cruise). The night-time run had more heating on, also lights obv...

Can I ask 1) on long motorway style journeys what speed are you driving to get > 3m/kwh and 2) on these motorway journeys is there a difference using ACC to not?
I always use ACC on motorways (not Pilot, I prefer to do the steering if I have to have my hands on the wheel anyway). I usually set speed to 65 which since the speedo is so accurate is the equivalent of about 70 on most other cars. (You can tell the other cars that have theirs set to 70 as you slowly creep up on them :) )
Another thing to remember is that slowing down and speeding up is costly whether in an ICEV or an EV so switch to KERS 1 on motorways to avoid having to decelerate and accelerate so rapidly and often.

Anyways, talking about economy, beat this of you can.

IMG_20230507_161153633.jpg

For anybody newish on here you will find you can't, the m/kWh tops out at 20 on the display.
I sometimes mange this as the first half mile from my house in one direction is downhill but it is wiped out on the return leg uphill of course.
What I have never achieved is maintaining that for such a long distance 2.9 miles.

Can anybody beat 2.9 miles ? I challenge you all :D

Anyways, talking about economy, beat this of you can.

View attachment 17459

For anybody newish on here you will find you can't, the m/kWh tops out a 20 on the display.
I sometimes mange this as the first half mile from my house in one direction is downhill but it is wiped out on the return leg uphill of course.
What I have never achieved is maintaining that for such a long distance 2.9 miles.

Can anybody beat 2.9 miles ? I challenge you all :D
Good morning and good grief if they could only stretch that out for the day’s drive 😍
I’m also interested in your other recorded twenty - that’s very good too.
It was -273.15 C here yesterday I’m sure but thats 0 K now 🤩

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom