• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

End of the month again :)
May has brought the best monthly consumption figure since I started this in March last year.

May 2023.JPG

Here is my May 23 figures.
It was on 4.3m/kWh but I finished the month using the motorway route due to an accident that closed my normal route for a few days. It is 9 miles longer each way but a quicker route, that takes it's toll on the efficiency.

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_163941.jpg
    IMG_20230531_163941.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 50
Mileage jun 1.jpg

This months effort... 2 round trips to Leeds and other bits and bobs. Mostly motorway, but nice to see the economy increasing with the better weather... sad to see the every increasing cost of charging away from home, though.

View attachment 18016

I’m settling on the fact that there’s not a lot I can do to get over 4kwh to the mile on the face lift MG5!! 🤔🤬
Are quite a few of your trips in urban, or start stop driving? Obviously efficiency losses mean you get less back in regen than it takes to get going. Wait until you have a chance to do a longer trip at a fairly steady speed - you should get 4+ easily.

Your low average speed suggests quite a few of your trips are in urban, or start stop driving. Obviously efficiency losses mean you get less back in regen than it takes to get going. Wait until you have a chance to do a longer trip at a fairly steady speed - you should get 4+ easily.
Even my trips to London and to Norfolk have at the very best been between 3.6 to 4kwh at most.

Of course now that it’s warm (yay for better efficiency) it also means using the AC so one doesn’t melt (boooo for efficiency). Just can’t win 😂😁

Even my trips to London and to Norfolk have at the very best been between 3.6 to 4kwh at most.

Of course now that it’s warm (yay for better efficiency) it also means using the AC so one doesn’t melt (boooo for efficiency). Just can’t win 😂😁
Wind can also be an issue!! My trip from Colchester to mid-Wales, mostly 65 on dual carriageway/motorway on a westerly windy day gave me 3.5. Same trip, not windy is c.4.0.
I don't have range anxiety but I'm beginning to think I might have efficiency anxiety 🤣

You may have meant that the other way round!
Yes! 😂 4 miles to the kWh! 😁

Wind can also be an issue!! My trip from Colchester to mid-Wales, mostly 65 on dual carriageway/motorway on a westerly windy day gave me 3.5. Same trip, not windy is c.4.0.
I don't have range anxiety but I'm beginning to think I might have efficiency anxiety 🤣
I seem to mostly get efficiency anxiety when the missuss is driving at 76 with AC or heating on! 😂

AC uses hardly anything. My recent trip back from Suffolk to West Yorkshire it took about 10 miles off the GOM at the start of the journey when I switched it on, and gave me 2 or 3 back at the end when I switched it off. It estimates how much it will use for the entire journey and doesn't anything like as much as the heating.
Also I don't have it set really low, set at about 19/20. I can't get my head around why in Summer I would want the temperature in the car to be ice cold. I prefer it at the same temperature as I set in winter.

On every motorway type journey so far we have managed max 3.6m/kwh, often less.
ACC set at 65, KERS 1 - is there a more efficient way

As an new owner that's my set up, managed 3.8 on a mainly motorway/dual carriageway journey at the weekend. Will be interesting to hear what other do.

I reckon on about 4.0m/kWh on motorways in summer, ideal conditions. This was one trip I did last year, before plugging in for a top up. Same ACC at 65, KERS1. (KERS showing 3 as I had pulled off the motorway M40 and switched to 3 for the last half mile).

IMG_20220824_132911092_HDR.jpg

On every motorway type journey so far we have managed max 3.6m/kwh, often less.
ACC set at 65, KERS 1 - is there a more efficient way
That's about what I usually manage. Have done better this week tootling around the north west and Wales but I'm happy if it's over 3.5

I always use ACC on motorways (not Pilot, I prefer to do the steering if I have to have my hands on the wheel anyway). I usually set speed to 65 which since the speedo is so accurate is the equivalent of about 70 on most other cars. (You can tell the other cars that have theirs set to 70 as you slowly creep up on them :) )
Another thing to remember is that slowing down and speeding up is costly whether in an ICEV or an EV so switch to KERS 1 on motorways to avoid having to decelerate and accelerate so rapidly and often.

Anyways, talking about economy, beat this of you can.

View attachment 17459

For anybody newish on here you will find you can't, the m/kWh tops out at 20 on the display.
I sometimes mange this as the first half mile from my house in one direction is downhill but it is wiped out on the return leg uphill of course.
What I have never achieved is maintaining that for such a long distance 2.9 miles.

Can anybody beat 2.9 miles ? I challenge you all :D
I’ll see your 2.9miles and raise you to 4.7miles!

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 57
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom