The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

Good morning and good grief if they could only stretch that out for the day’s drive 😍
I’m also interested in your other recorded twenty - that’s very good too.
It was -273.15 C here yesterday I’m sure but thats 0 K now 🤩
Indeed, and yes the weather was pleasant too :) Redefining the measurement can sometimes make a difference, after all 32 sounds much better than zero.

I always use ACC on motorways (not Pilot, I prefer to do the steering if I have to have my hands on the wheel anyway). I usually set speed to 65 which since the speedo is so accurate is the equivalent of about 70 on most other cars. (You can tell the other cars that have theirs set to 70 as you slowly creep up on them :) )
Another thing to remember is that slowing down and speeding up is costly whether in an ICEV or an EV so switch to KERS 1 on motorways to avoid having to decelerate and accelerate so rapidly and often.

Anyways, talking about economy, beat this of you can.

View attachment 17459

For anybody newish on here you will find you can't, the m/kWh tops out at 20 on the display.
I sometimes mange this as the first half mile from my house in one direction is downhill but it is wiped out on the return leg uphill of course.
What I have never achieved is maintaining that for such a long distance 2.9 miles.

Can anybody beat 2.9 miles ? I challenge you all :D
Read posts #19-#20 on this thread

Read posts #19-#20 on this thread
I remember it well hence my posting. :) I appear to have the record (of those that have posted) at the moment although I'm sure someone will beat it.
Brought it up again as I'm sure there are quite a number of newer members that are unaware of the 20 max and won't have read these threads from the start.

Yes, seems 20.0 is the maximum it will do.

View attachment 8451

Mine

I guess now who gets the record for keeping it there for the longest distance. I made 2.5 miles before it dropped.
I guess you were driving downhill or being towed? ;)

Here's my April usage...

Attachments

• IMG_7804.jpg
    IMG_7804.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 95
OK, so not exactly in keeping with the topic, but just picked my 8 month old MK1 LR, today from Durham and very pleased with stats on my first drive home to Leeds. Loved the journey. Now just got to work out how to use the chargers in prep for our trip to the Highlands in a couple of weeks....should be a baptism of fire!

Attachments

• 20230515_134130.jpg
    20230515_134130.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 72
OK, so not exactly in keeping with the topic, but just picked my 8 month old MK1 LR, today from Durham and very pleased with stats on my first drive home to Leeds. Loved the journey. Now just got to work out how to use the chargers in prep for our trip to the Highlands in a couple of weeks....should be a baptism of fire!
This warmer weather should get my May figure in the low 4's but a 4.5 would be nice or save that for June

I’m only getting in some short local runs these days. So between that and the better weather I’m seeing around 4.5.

It's not as daunting as you may think or all the 'scare' clickbait stories make out. If trying out a rapid CCS try and avoid the Geniepoint (and Engie) chargers of which there are a lot around Leeds, those are the most unreliable.
Which part of Leeds are you in ?

Can I ask 1) on long motorway style journeys what speed are you driving to get > 3m/kwh and 2) on these motorway journeys is there a difference using ACC to not?
This was driving back from Llanfair Caereinion (mid Wales) to Colchester on Sunday evening, all but 35 miles of it on dual carriageway / motorway. On the 70mph roads I set the ACC to 65mph for most of the time but bumped it up to 70mph occasionally to get round slower vehicles without clogging up lane 3. KERS at level 2.
Started on 100% with a 20 min / 10kWh top up at the Ionity chargers at Cambridge Services.

Attachments

• IMG_9552.jpeg
    IMG_9552.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 67
Will keep that in mind.
In LS28.
To lighten up the whole mysterious charging thing watch a few episodes of “ Me and my Ami. Two guys driving a Citroen Ami all over the south of France and their antics and charging problems with a minuscule battery and range yet seem to survive without sticking. Makes our cars and batteries appear invincible- which they are of course 🤩.
Stay charged and relaxed 😌

As a first step, I have just plugged my 'Granny Charger' lead in with succes, and it's charging! Not only that, the whole 2.3 kWh is coming from the sun, feels good.

Nice surprise Tuesday morning after charging to 100% overnight I had a total of 307 miles, ok that's in eco and regain 3 but I use those settings all the time. What have others been getting ?

Haven't charged to 100 % lately . The last one gave me 300 + miles . Charged to 78% today and range was 247 miles which would work out as 316 miles at 100% . I use the same settings as you mostly , but have been using KERS at 1 for the last week . My efficiency is showing as 4.8 M/Kw over the last 1100 miles . God Bless Summer :)

I balance charged my 5 (to 100% of course) 13 days ago and have since driven 177 miles, just pottering about on the Isle of Wight. SOC is now 37%, That works out at 281 miles total range for a full battery. I think that's not bad for standard range 5 with a WLTP figure of 214 miles!! Good weather of course. Also since April 1st I have driven a total of nearly 1000 miles (no mainland trips) and the display is telling me I am attaining 5.0 mpkw overall. Not bad I think. Is anyone doing better in their Standard Range car?? It just goes to show what can be achieved by sticking to speed limits and having a light right foot.

Happy motoring to one and all, long may the good weather last.

PS I have a theory that the battery works more efficiently at higher staes of charge, but runs out quickly at the bottom end, rather like an ICE car seeming to use the last quarter of the tank rather quickly. Am I right, or is this total nonsense??

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom