The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

I started out for most of the month with 5, but work trips to Devon, Wales and the Isle of Wight, and a week touring around Normandy brought that down a bit. Rapid charging in France at 25/30 cents per kWh was pleasant!
That's a great figure for such varied journeys.

Mileage Sept 1 23.jpg

Pretty much the lowest monthly mileage since I've had the car... a whole month without running north to see the grand kids... all local, shortish journeys as you can see by the average speed. Mostly charged from excess solar as well with only one 30% charge done at cheap overnight 7.5p rate.

I started the first half of September at 4.6 but a trip on a M3 and home at night dropped that down to 4.5 but at least the road works have gone.

Attachments

• 20230930_161941.jpg
    20230930_161941.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 61
I’d got to 4.2 mid month but then my wife did ~300 motorway miles and pulled it down to 3.9… got it back to 4.0 by the end.

I have noticed some journey inconsistencies - my commute to the office can sometimes use a few more % battery but efficiency displayed is higher. Makes no sense.

IMG_1039.jpeg

So it looks like last month was my peak at 4.1. The change in weather has seen a return to my usual 3.8.
IMG_20231001_100010.jpg

Just a thought . Is the FL version less energy efficient than the Pre Facelift ? My Mk1 has been nearer to 5M/Kw than 4M/Kw over the last 4 months .

Just a thought . Is the FL version less energy efficient than the Pre Facelift ? My Mk1 has been nearer to 5M/Kw than 4M/Kw over the last 4 months .
..or the calculation is done differently for FL models…

Would also be interested if anyone has the ‘true’ values by that I mean monthly mileage in relation to energy supplied to EVSE (AC & DC charging)?

I can do that for September and it works out to the same figure shown above.

Would also be interested if anyone has the ‘true’ values by that I mean monthly mileage in relation to energy supplied to EVSE (AC & DC charging)?
I've been doing that since I got my LR pre facelift on October the 10th last year. I'll post my figures for the year after the 10th.

I can do that for September and it works out to the same figure shown above.
Are you mainly Rapid (DC) charging then? I would have thought that in case of home (AC) charging less than 90% of the energy used (as recorded by the EVSE) would go into the HV battery, the rest being lost due to efficiency and 12V aux topup?

[edit]
Just did a rough calculation for September on our MG5 (FL LR)
  • car display: 3.6 M/kWh
  • EVSE 3.1 M/kWh (calculated)

This leaves me to believe that the charging process (90% AC, 10% DC) is about 85% efficient?

Last edited:

On my FL Trophy the reported figure has been pretty close to my calculations using receipts + my podpoint statistics. I've been amazed at the numbers the pre FL models have been getting but I drive mine pretty enthusiastically unless my journey length is close to my remaining range.

Don't forget all the pre-FL models have 16 inch wheels which are better for economy than the larger 17 inch on some of the FL models.

Don't forget all the pre-FL models have 16 inch wheels which are better for economy than the larger 17 inch on some of the FL models.
I had factored that into the equation but I wouldn't have thought that made that much difference . Also the facelift appears to be more streamlined and probably a better drag coefficient which should offset the effect of wheels . Don't know ...just guessing :)

I had factored that into the equation but I wouldn't have thought that made that much difference . Also the facelift appears to be more streamlined and probably a better drag coefficient which should offset the effect of wheels . Don't know ...just guessing :)
The FL with larger wheels has a WLTP of 235, the pre-FL with smaller wheels 250.

Rough calculation using a rounded 57kWh usable battery gives m/kWh of 4.12 and 4.38.

Which may be indicative if not proving anything. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom