• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

The where do I stop challenge !

As I said Tescos Abingdon has a cafe and it’s just off A34
come off junction head in to abingdon go past let’s at home and turn right at next roundabout
The Tesco Podpoint charger are only 7Kw. There are several Instavolt rapid chargers in the Fairacre Retail Park just off the A34 Marcham Interchange.

Depending on your route, I would suggest Banbury as a strong location given there are Osprey (Bonnet), Tesla and InstaVolt charging hubs within minutes of junction 11 on the M40. Banbury is approx 150 miles from Leeds and around 100 miles from Southampton, so one stop at Banbury each way could be a reasonable strategy. I'd be tempted to charge to 90% at Banbury on the outbound leg and plan for a quick tactical stop either in Southampton (free Tesco charge perhaps?) or on the way back to Banbury if you are tight on range to make the 100 miles or so back to Banbury.
Thanks @adiel , that's an excellent option includes Bonnet option as well. No point in spending £50 when you can get it for free :)

Banbury is ideal for the way home, but is slightly closer than ideal for the way out as you said starting with 100%. It also requires quite a long run Banbury>Southampton>Banbury which means taking a high % on the Rapid. Perhaps a hybrid solution of charging further South on the way out would be better? To maximize the benefit of your "free" charge a "Bonnet network" charger near Southampton would be ideal, but I'm not aware of any.

Banbury is ideal for the way home, but is slightly closer than ideal for the way out as you said starting with 100%. It also requires quite a long run Banbury>Southampton>Banbury which means taking a high % on the Rapid. Perhaps a hybrid solution of charging further South on the way out would be better? To maximize the benefit of your "free" charge a "Bonnet network" charger near Southampton would be ideal, but I'm not aware of any.
A plan is starting to come together now you have made me have another look at chargers near Soton.
I have spotted a Geniepoint, (Bonnet) not far from where we will be staying first night so that might be an option for a quick top up ready for the way back. Also there are Shell chargers (Bonnet) just off the M3 at Chandlers Ford and at Winchester.
Banbury at about 150 miles from starting point is easily do-able and may allow the option to tank it a bit (70mph instead of 65), then a splash at any of the ones I mentioned near Soton and then tank it back to Banbury......

Or is there a better plan lurking somewhere :unsure:

A plan is starting to come together now you have made me have another look at chargers near Soton.
I have spotted a Geniepoint, (Bonnet) not far from where we will be staying first night so that might be an option for a quick top up ready for the way back. Also there are Shell chargers (Bonnet) just off the M3 at Chandlers Ford and at Winchester.
Banbury at about 150 miles from starting point is easily do-able and may allow the option to tank it a bit (70mph instead of 65), then a splash at any of the ones I mentioned near Soton and then tank it back to Banbury......

Or is there a better plan lurking somewhere :unsure:
I've done quite a few long journeys in several EV's, covering something like 10,000 long journey miles over the last 20 months. Although there are now many more reliable rapid chargers, there are also more EV's (and PHEV's). Reliability and availability of chargers is critical and of course a good plan B is necessary on long journeys as part of your travel plans. The huge advantage Banbury has is that there must now be over 30 rapid charging stalls across Tesla (for non-Tesla's), Osprey and InstaVolt alone. So, although there are no guarantee's, its very likely you will be able to charge in Banbury when you need to and within a few minutes of the M40 motorway exit. I often use the Osprey chargers at Banury via the Bonnet app and have never been let down yet. But I know the Tesla and InstaVolt chargers are there as a plan B.

Seeing as someone mentioned Bonnet, are there any freebies with them at the moment? Only I'm travelling to Scotland and back (from Berkshire) over the next two weekends.

I'm already signed up and have put on a refill to get the first month free.

Seeing as someone mentioned Bonnet, are there any freebies with them at the moment? Only I'm travelling to Scotland and back (from Berkshire) over the next two weekends.

There are definately random freebies/offers being sent out... they do appear when I'm home and don't need them as opposed to when I'm away and they'd come in handy...

they are appearing as notifications, but not showing up in the promotions section of the app... I have messaged, they are aware of the glitch and are working on it...

If there are no freebies take a £9 Refill. It only gives 20kWh, which is 45p/kWh and for the rest of the month you will get your electrons for the same 45p/kWh.
A good saving at least over current prices. My thinking is also that £9 is not a lot to gamble with compared to spending the £44 or £80 refills to get the prices down to 44p/kWh or 40p/kWh.
From Bonnet....
Refill Price
Lock in our best rates by prepaying for your electricity.
Refill Volume
The amount of kWh you get in your Refill package. Any additional kWh are charged at the locked in rate.

Thanks Gomev, that's what I've done, and will cancel the subscription in advance of renewal as I rarely need public charging.

We're stopping on the way up at a hotel in Preston with it's own (free I believe) 7KwH chargers so hopefully will fill to 100% there. Might need a splash before we get there though if my foot is too heavy. Then the plan is to stop before Edinburgh and get to 80% on a Rapid, then top up to 100% over a couple of trips to the local Tesco ready for the return journey, which will be done in one day and possibly, but unlikely, just one fill. It's simply not worth the stress to get down to fumes...

Destination Scotland means, if I am lucky, free or cheap charging anyway, but I suspect the car will barely move during the week we are there - we're specifically there for the Fringe and have at least two shows per day already booked. In the past Edinburgh has been a lot of fun during the Fringe, and beer o'clock is usually fairly early! (though usually not before lunch... :) )

I've got another longer trip planned for later in the month too which will also benefit from the cheap rate then, and two possible trips in September so may let it run for an extra month.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom