Things I love about my MG4

I can't seem to find a 'Look at my new car thread' so... picked mine up today and wow, the car suits me down to the ground, love it.

MG4.jpg

1. The smoothness, quietness and effortlessness.

2. Rock solid reliability: faultless so far, hasn't even needed air in the tyres yet.

3. Price: was cheapest by a mile when I bought it, saving so much by comparison.

4. Instant acceleration with fine handling.

5. 135kW+ charge rate.

We've been driving EVs now for over 3 years - MG4 is our third EV. So, things I like (compared with our other EVs and historical ICE cars):
1. Looks - it looks amazing!! (ours is Black) other EVs are/were crossover/suv and look clunky by comparison
2. Rear wheel drive - it puts all it's torque straight onto the road - our other EVs (FWD) just wheel-spin
3. Price - most amazing value for money in current UK motoring

Ok I feel a need to make a list :

1. Dealer was good! Joanne at SERE Belfast was to the point and didn't do the hard sell on anything. I got my test drive the day I asked and my car arrived less than 3 months after ordering (I know that is out of the control of the dealer but she did tell me 16 weeks originally). Open about potential oil leak and that they would address it immediately if it occurred. She stayed in the car with me until I got the head unit registered and my phone bound (and that took a while!).
Mercedes charged me £100 to remove a stone from the engine bay they put there when they serviced it a month earlier.
2. Feels amazing to drive, so smooth, first rear wheel drive for me! Such a difference to a big diesel Mercedes, thought it would feel cheap when I went on the test drive, but actually felt just as solid, and so quiet. I was convinced within the first mile of driving.
3. The minimalism, I love the dash layout and the simplicity. Control the climate control via the steering wheel. The screens are bright and very clear in layout, love how it can jump between android auto and infotainment seamlessly (my last car took would have to boot up android auto anytime you left it).
4. Equipment, the auto dimming headlights has worked seamlessly and I am amazed at how it able to determine when it needs to dip. I don't miss auto wipers, in fact its nice to be back in control, my last 3 cars have had rain sensors and they were either overly sensitive or not sensitive enough so I was constantly twisting the level to just get the wipers to move. Hopefully software updates will improve other features, though I haven't had any issues with LKA, I only use TJA at speed if the road markings are very clear and then it works well.
5. Charging at home. Love my Hypervolt! I'm in control of when I charge and my tariff. No longer driving round stations looking for the cheapest and having to queue at forecourts in the cold. I hope the government introduce incentives for home charging installs, its really the best way. Northern Ireland has very few public charging options.

Really interesting you mentioned no "auto wipers". The brocure did state auto wipers, so we were initially disappointed when we collected our car in december (the test drive was in the dry!). However, we've noticed over time that the intermittent wiper rate DOES seem to change - I think it's speed sensing, rather than rain sensing (as you say, we've had no end of hassle with rain sensing wipers in the past). So it does seem they are "automatic" but speed dependent rather than rain sensing. Can anyone corroborate this???

That seems to be my experience. You can set the initial auto-wipe speed on the right stalk, but they do seem to vary speed depending on car speed.

I was surprised there wasn't a rain sensor, but I'm very happy with what it does. I just have to unlearn my expectation that the wipers will come on without me actually switching them on.

I was initially shocked it didn't have rain sensors given that it has sensors for EVERYTHING else 😂
But I got over it pretty quick as I've never had a car that implemented it well. My 2004 Mini Cooper you had to activate the rain sensors every time you started the car! Course you never did until it started to rain, kinda defeated the purpose.

My Peugeot 306 GTi6, bought in 1998, had rain sensors, so I've had a long time to get used to them. But really, the variable intermittent wipe speed is easily as good. I just have to remember that it's all in my control now.

Oh and I just love the steering wheel :love: I love the shape and the design of the centre with the nice tactile buttons and the nice matt finished MG logo in the centre. The fact its only 2 spoke means you aren't mangling your fingers on the usual thick 3rd spoke and you can still see the driver display at all times.

20230413_185636.jpg

Really interesting you mentioned no "auto wipers". The brocure did state auto wipers, so we were initially disappointed when we collected our car in december (the test drive was in the dry!). However, we've noticed over time that the intermittent wiper rate DOES seem to change - I think it's speed sensing, rather than rain sensing (as you say, we've had no end of hassle with rain sensing wipers in the past). So it does seem they are "automatic" but speed dependent rather than rain sensing. Can anyone corroborate this???

That seems to be my experience. You can set the initial auto-wipe speed on the right stalk, but they do seem to vary speed depending on car speed.
P57 of the manual confirms speed adjusted wipers.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back