• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Things that are starting to bug me about my MG5

Camy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Had my MG5 for about 4 weeks now and theres lots I love about it, but some things that have cropped up that are really quite annoying. Hoping some of these are fixable (either with advice from the community or a firmware update at some point) but I suspect I'm stick with it and I feel the need to vent!
  • Not being able to charge to 22KwH at the slow chargers. I know now the cable that comes with it isnt rated higher than 7KwH but thats still frustrating, especially knowing that a new cable is capped at 11KwH.
  • Resetting vehicle settings - This is probably one of the most annoying. I've just discovered the collision assist also resets after every drive which is really bad because I nearly had an accident the other day overtaking a cyclist and it kicked in. So first thing I did was turn that off. This turns back on after every drive. Other settings I wish it remembered at things like the KERS setting, eco/comfort mode, default drivers display screen, turn off auto headlights etc.
  • All of those USB ports and only one is data compatible - This means I can't use Android Auto and have my music USB plugged in.
  • USB music isn't an option anyways because it doesnt recognise folders on the disk and just shows ALL songs in alphabetical order! There is a search function but unless you have a passenger, isn't really very safe or easy to use whilst driving.
  • Why isn't the music all in one place? This means switching between BT or USB music to Radio is a real pain as instead of using the tabs within the music screen, you have to go back to menu and click the music note button, which takes you to a different screen. Why not have all music tabs on the same music category?
  • Radio always starts playing when I start the car rather than reverting to its last music setting.
  • Having all that 360 degree camera stuff but really wish it just had front bleepers.
  • Auto screen brightness would be handy as so many times I've blinded myself driving at night after having the 'day' setting.
  • Android auto and BT music is really glitchy, so many times they've refused to connect or it'll only connect BT for calls only. Then when I switch back to AA it freezes.
  • The auto wipers arent great, they either dont move fast enough or go crazy when theres only a light dusting of rain. Tried to change the speed settings but this doesn't seem to make a difference. Wish I could just run it in an non-auto mode.
Just for some levity, I'll include the things I like!
  • Having an automatic is truly glorious!
  • KERS breaking at level 3 is a joy to use on country roads
  • General driving feeling and steering is excellent and steering wheel is very comfortable.
  • Having charging dock on front feels much better for me so far

Had my MG5 for about 4 weeks now and theres lots I love about it, but some things that have cropped up that are really quite annoying. Hoping some of these are fixable (either with advice from the community or a firmware update at some point) but I suspect I'm stick with it and I feel the need to vent!
  • Not being able to charge to 22KwH at the slow chargers. I know now the cable that comes with it isnt rated higher than 7KwH but thats still frustrating, especially knowing that a new cable is capped at 11KwH.
  • Resetting vehicle settings - This is probably one of the most annoying. I've just discovered the collision assist also resets after every drive which is really bad because I nearly had an accident the other day overtaking a cyclist and it kicked in. So first thing I did was turn that off. This turns back on after every drive. Other settings I wish it remembered at things like the KERS setting, eco/comfort mode, default drivers display screen, turn off auto headlights etc.
  • All of those USB ports and only one is data compatible - This means I can't use Android Auto and have my music USB plugged in.
  • USB music isn't an option anyways because it doesnt recognise folders on the disk and just shows ALL songs in alphabetical order! There is a search function but unless you have a passenger, isn't really very safe or easy to use whilst driving.
  • Why isn't the music all in one place? This means switching between BT or USB music to Radio is a real pain as instead of using the tabs within the music screen, you have to go back to menu and click the music note button, which takes you to a different screen. Why not have all music tabs on the same music category?
  • Radio always starts playing when I start the car rather than reverting to its last music setting.
  • Having all that 360 degree camera stuff but really wish it just had front bleepers.
  • Auto screen brightness would be handy as so many times I've blinded myself driving at night after having the 'day' setting.
  • Android auto and BT music is really glitchy, so many times they've refused to connect or it'll only connect BT for calls only. Then when I switch back to AA it freezes.
  • The auto wipers arent great, they either dont move fast enough or go crazy when theres only a light dusting of rain. Tried to change the speed settings but this doesn't seem to make a difference. Wish I could just run it in an non-auto mode.
Just for some levity, I'll include the things I like!
  • Having an automatic is truly glorious!
  • KERS breaking at level 3 is a joy to use on country roads
  • General driving feeling and steering is excellent and steering wheel is very comfortable.
  • Having charging dock on front feels much better for me so far
Don't most cars have just one USB that allows data, the rest bring power only.
It was the case on all the ICE card I've previously driven.

I agree all my older cars had this but then none of them had android auto. If you're going to have cars with AA and this only works when phone is plugged in, then surely they should open up at least one more port for data. Although I have limited knowledge of how USB ports are made, I can't imagine it would have cost that much to make them data compatible.

I agree all my older cars had this but then none of them had android auto. If you're going to have cars with AA and this only works when phone is plugged in, then surely they should open up at least one more port for data. Although I have limited knowledge of how USB ports are made, I can't imagine it would have cost that much to make them data compatible.
Isn't Android Auto the data port as CarPlay is also? Not sure how it works with wireless CarPlay until we finally get our ZS in a few weeks.

Isn't Android Auto the data port as CarPlay is also? Not sure how it works with wireless CarPlay until we finally get our ZS in a few weeks.
Im not sure tbh. I thought CarPlay was just the software name in the car and Android Auto is the app on the phone that interacts with the car? Either way, AA only works for me if plugged in. Haven't found a way to connect wirelessly except via BT and that doesnt work with AA.

The Android "AI" boxes may be worth a look as that could take over the media playback, they work by tricking the car into thinking it's an iphone and going into carplay.

The one I have isn't terrible but it could really have used a gruntier SOC as it's UI is rather laggy (I have a tbox mini)

The interface as a whole is just poorly arranged/managed. I don't understand why though, because some issues are so glaring that surely 20 minutes of user testing would have highlighted most of these.

My Seat Leon had two data USB ports. I think the Missus Puma does too.

My Seat Leon had two data USB ports. I think the Missus Puma does too.
Yes! My other car is a Leon. 2 USB ports so can have an iPhone cable in one and an Android cable in the other. Don’t have to keep unplugging as in MG5.

Yes! My other car is a Leon. 2 USB ports so can have an iPhone cable in one and an Android cable in the other. Don’t have to keep unplugging as in MG5.
Let’s face it, we drive an MG because they are less expenses than other options on the market. With that comes the cons, one USB data connection… plus everything else that is raised on this forum that would not normally be present in a more expensive car.

The challenge is to enjoy what you have at the price you paid. I woke today (a result in itself 🙏) to Sunshine, enjoy what you have.

Hi,

I can only answer one of your problems!, using a Rapid 22kwh is a waste of time unless you are a Renault Zoe which is basically the only EV that can actually get the full output from these chargers so it is NOT a problem with the MG4, it's just that your on board AC Charger (on your car it is either a 7 kwh or a 11kwh) will only charge at the on board chargers limit, as with other EVs. I have had four EVs and none of them could use them. All other Rapid chargers are DC which bypasses the on board chargers of EV cars, then the maximum charge rate is dependant on the cars BMS and HV system.

So unless the 22kvh charger is the only one available I wouldn't bother with it.

Regards

Frank

Hi,

I can only answer one of your problems!, using a Rapid 22kwh is a waste of time unless you are a Renault Zoe which is basically the only EV that can actually get the full output from these chargers so it is NOT a problem with the MG4, it's just that your on board AC Charger (on your car it is either a 7 kwh of a 11kwh) will only charge at the on board chargers limit, as with other EVs. I have had four EVs and none of them could use them. All other Rapid chargers are DC which bypasses the on board chargers of EV cars, then the maximum charge rate is dependant on the cars BMS and HV system.

So unless the 22kvh charger is the only one available I wouldn't bother with it.

Regards

Frank
Wrong topic I think! 🤗

Hi,

I can only answer one of your problems!, using a Rapid 22kwh is a waste of time unless you are a Renault Zoe which is basically the only EV that can actually get the full output from these chargers so it is NOT a problem with the MG4, it's just that your on board AC Charger (on your car it is either a 7 kwh or a 11kwh) will only charge at the on board chargers limit, as with other EVs. I have had four EVs and none of them could use them. All other Rapid chargers are DC which bypasses the on board chargers of EV cars, then the maximum charge rate is dependant on the cars BMS and HV system.

Regards

Frank
I was trying to explain that to a chap that pulled up next to me at a Pod Point rapid charger yesterday . He was bemoaning the fact that the local 22K Connected Kerb chargers would only charge at 7Kw and were faulty. He was driving a Mazda so I didn't know if his would do 22Kw or not , but I suspect it wouldn't

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom