Thread re charging MG4 SR

AB71

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there already one? Afternoon all. I’m so confused. How can the SR charge at a 150kw rate in 40 mins ? I don’t understand how when it’s only 50 and 117kw. Does that make sense? Tia

Is there already one? Afternoon all. I’m so confused. How can the SR charge at a 150kw rate in 40 mins ? I don’t understand how when it’s only 50 and 117kw. Does that make sense? Tia
The SR will max out at about 87kW if the charger supports it. Chargers don't necessarily do their rated power, especially if several cars are using the same one.

The SR will max out at about 87kW if the charger supports it. Chargers don't necessarily do their rated power, especially if several cars are using the same one.
Thankyou Me Sedge so can I use a 150 rapid charger ? Or no
Excuse ignorance

You can use a higher rated charger but you won't get more than 87kW in practice.
So when all the bumph says it can go up to 80% in 39/40 mins on a “super charger “ or whatever it’s called it can’t be done no?

The SE SR has an LFP battery pack which has a fairly flat charging curve. ~87kW charge rate will apply (under ideal conditions) from 10% up to about 50% state of charge, and then will start to decline. Up to 80% SoC you might still see 30-40kW charge rate, but after that it'll decline more quickly. (There's usually no point charging on a DC rapid charger above 90% SoC).

I've done 42 kWh in 43 minutes which equates to just over 80% on my SE SR on an Ionity 350kW charger, but as said it does slow down considerably at higher SOC.
Yes that’s what I mean. Can I plug it in to any charger like you did at Ionity , I can then can’t I?

The SE SR has an LFP battery pack which has a fairly flat charging curve. ~87kW charge rate will apply (under ideal conditions) from 10% up to about 50% state of charge, and then will start to decline. Up to 80% SoC you might still see 30-40kW charge rate, but after that it'll decline more quickly. (There's usually no point charging on a DC rapid charger above 90% SoC).
This is where the Trophy may have an advantage. Mine still pulls 30kW at 90% so we have tended to charge to 95% when using rapid chargers because it takes little longer and gives us considerably more than stopping at 80% would do.

Yes that’s what I mean. Can I plug it in to any charger like you did at Ionity , I can then can’t I?
You can plug into any rapid charger you want, but you won't get the 350kW advertised - none of us will.

As long as the charger works ... some people have had issues with some charge points/providers. But in general - yes. (I've used a 150kW charger on my car before ... worked fine but obviously I didn't get anywhere near 150kW; more like 80kW).

I totally understand now
Took a minute lol
Thanks again guys I’ll be back on 23rd with pics and oodles of questions no doubt ✌🏿

Here is a charging curve for the SR battery - it's the red line that doesn't jump up and down like a yoyo.

1696867871979.png

The highest anyone has reported seeing on a charger is (I think) 91 Kw, in another similar thread a few days ago. Propaganda about 117 Kw was just that - an aspiration that was never matched by reality. But you can still charge on any ultra-rapid charger you like, and it's a good idea to go for chargers that are 125 Kw or over to give yourself the best speed the car can manage. On a 50 Kw you'll get 48 Kw at best, and that will fall off as the battery fills up.

I've seen 85 Kw on my SR, on a couple of 350 Kw Gridserves, when my SoC was low. But then later, after dark, I didn't get quite so much, probably because my battery wasn't so warm.

The SR doesn't charge as fast as the LR/Trophy, but it's still pretty good, and you can get a lot of charge in there while you go to the loo and have a cup of coffee. I sat in mine on a 50 Kw Instavolt because I wanted to listen to the radio at the time, and watched it flip 92% - 93% - 94% in about ten minutes. It's not the battery to go for if you're terminally impatient, but if you just chill a bit then you won't be delayed long, and you'll arrive fresh and rested.

Last edited:
Here is a charging curve for the SR battery - it's the red line that doesn't jump up and down like a yoyo.

View attachment 20685

The highest anyone has reported seeing on a charger is (I think) 91 Kw, in another similar thread a few days ago. Propaganda about 117 Kw was just that - an aspiration that was never matched by reality. But you can still charge on any ultra-rapid charger you like, and it's a good idea to go for chargers that ar 125 Kw or over to give yourself the best speed the car can manage. On a 50 Kw you'll get 48 Kw at best, and that will fall off as the battery fills up.

I've seen 85 Kw on my SR, on a couple of 350 Kw Gridserves, when my SoC was low. But then later, after dark, I didn't get quite so much, probably because my battery wasn't so warm.

The SR doesn't charge as fast as the LR/Trophy, but it's still pretty good, and you can get a lot of charge in there while you go to the loo and have a cup of coffee. I sat in mine on a 50 Kw Instavolt because I wanted to listen to the radio at the time, and watched it flip 92% - 93% - 94% in about ten minutes. It's not the battery to go for if you're terminally impatient, but if you just chill a bit then you won't be delayed long, and you'll arrive fresh and rested.
Thanks so much for that. I have eventually settled on my first pick the SE SR in black. I also noticed my dealer advertises in big letters NON Metallic for the trophy orange so maybe they too have had an unhappy customer thinking it’s metallic ( diff thread) . It’s the “old” one without a rear wiper but I’m so excited to get it two weeks today. Just wanted to comeback and reply to you so see you when I’ve got it mate 👍 thanks again

That's what I've got, only in blue. I'm very pleased indeed with the car, though frustrated by a number of software bugs (which have work-rounds).

I just went to disconnect the granny charger and run the car out of the garage ready to go to orchestra practice tonight, and I couldn't resist just walking round and admiring.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back