Timed charging not starting

gazza487

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Bit of an odd one that’s just started - scheduled charging (via EVSE) doesn't start. It’s worked for the last month or so since swapping to BG tariff but doesn’t now until I go into MG app and select start charging?

Any ideas? This is the message you get normally once the battery is fully charged (incl. balancing). Only things that have changed are the smart meter has been changed and the ring that has power line adapter on has changed if that may have any bearing but it’s always been on in the house.
IMG_9525.png

Last edited:
Check you haven't got scheduled charging switched on in the car
Cheers, nope never been touched and not set.

I have a feeling it’ll be the power line plugs as that’s the most difficult. I’ll unplug both and try again as it’s failed two nights.

Is you charger WiFi connected?

If so powerlines are known to have interference created by other devices affecting wifi so you may be on the right track re unplugging.

Interference can be caused by other devices

While powerline networking does reduce the capacity of other Wi-Fi signals to interfere with your connectivity, you could still face interference from other appliances or machines on the same power system. Heavy draw appliances the run continuously such as air conditioning systems could potentially undermine the quality of your connectivity.

I had a thread a couple of weeks ago (podpoint) and found that less was more. So times set on charger to reflect cheap hours and time set on car. I now only use app to set 80 or 100%.

Is you charger WiFi connected?

If so powerlines are known to have interference created by other devices affecting wifi so you may be on the right track re unplugging.

Interference can be caused by other devices

While powerline networking does reduce the capacity of other Wi-Fi signals to interfere with your connectivity, you could still face interference from other appliances or machines on the same power system. Heavy draw appliances the run continuously such as air conditioning systems could potentially undermine the quality of your connectivity.
It is WiFi connected but goes dumb if lost so don’t think WiFi is the issue per se.

Now I wrote that early in the morning and have since developed a theory. One end that the one power line had a broken earth which was discovered a few days ago and now rectified (only a slight concern as everything has rcds on and now fixed).

I assume in previous state that obviously stops transmission down the earth, it is now trying to use it and I have an idea the comms between charger and car are down CP pin and Earth (could be hugely wrong). Pure speculation and I aim to test the theory tonight - the only other change is smart meter which I highly doubt is cause.

I shall report back and if so better get laying around 60m of cat6 :(

Surely your charger was on a different earth connection than the powerline so that worked fine? Was the powerline problem on a 13a socket? I find it strange that that powerline would interfere with the main earth in the house tbh but stranger things have happened...

Surely your charger was on a different earth connection than the powerline so that worked fine? Was the powerline problem on a 13a socket? I find it strange that that powerline would interfere with the main earth in the house tbh but stranger things have happened...
The whole charger is fed from split tails and a separate consumer unit. The broken earth was on a socket that was on the other end of the power line adapter. My theory isn’t so much the earth is broken/missing it’s more that now there is a path for all that nasty radio energy to get to the car, prior to reconnection I assume the “smartness” and frequency hopping stopped it trying to do anything down the Earth channel.

We shall see.

Well set to charge as before but killed the power line plugs off before plugging car in and voila functioning as it should. Proof enough for me.

It appears TP link power line adapters along with MG4 and VChrgd7 do not work well together, not sure which bit is affected and seems like having the Earth missing before prevented the issue but obviously that is NOT a safe configuration. Off to Amazon to buy some cat6 and hard wire.

Attachments

• IMG_9534.png
    IMG_9534.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 46
Well set to charge as before but killed the power line plugs off before plugging car in and voila functioning as it should. Proof enough for me.

It appears TP link power line adapters along with MG4 and VChrgd7 do not work well together, not sure which bit is affected and seems like having the Earth missing before prevented the issue but obviously that is NOT a safe configuration. Off to Amazon to buy some cat6 and hard wire.
Glad to hear you pinpointed the problem.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 513 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back