To wave, or not to wave?

dsimpkins

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So while out in my MG4 I have come across other MG4 owners coming the other way. I've had Land Rovers and Volkswagens in the past (still do), and I'm used to giving other drivers a cheery wave. I've found myself doing the same with other MG4 owners. I'm yet to get a response back from any of them. My daughter thinks I'm sad, but this is my first MG and my first EV, and I'm loving it! Why shouldn't I give a cheery wave, maybe I'll start a trend? :)

I say go for it. (I've only seen one other MG4 and I was in a bus at the time!)

Maybe they're surprised by your gesture and you've gone past before they pull themselves together enough to respond. The more people do it the more likely it is to become an accepted habit.

I was always used to giving other motorcyclists a wave. They did it to me when I got my first bike, and I soon picked up the habit. It grew to be automatic. And then I moved to Hertfordshire where they're obviously really stand-offish and was sad that my waves went unreturned!

When I had a VW Beetle ( original version) many moons ago, it was common practice to wave at fellow Beetle drivers, who invariably responded with a cheery wave back - it used to make my day !

I go to flash every time but then chicken out hoping I get a wave I can return but hasn’t happened yet.

I’ll start waving. Be brave!

When I had a VW Beetle ( original version) many moons ago, it was common practice to wave at fellow Beetle drivers, who invariably responded with a cheery wave back - it used to make my day !
We still have a Beetle, and currently helping restore one with my godson and his dad.

I go to flash every time but then chicken out hoping I get a wave I can return but hasn’t happened yet.

I’ll start waving. Be brave!
I will continue to wave, the fact my daughter says I'm sad makes me want to do it even more!

There's a lot of waving going on in the middle of the village here, because you can only get through it by repeatedly giving way to someone coming the other way and then having someone else give way to you in their turn. I waved at an EV today just because he was an EV (I had clear right of way at the junction in question) but he probably just thought I was thanking him for waiting anyway.

I will continue to wave, the fact my daughter says I'm sad makes me want to do it even more!
Hope you do dad jokes too.

I'm trying to get out of the habit of waving at buses* perhaps waving at other MG4s will act as a bit of diversion therapy :unsure:

*In my defence I did drive them for 22 years before retiring.

I would say a wave or headlight flash is a must when you meet all fellow MG car drivers.
Takes me back to the ‘70’s when it was the same for those on motorbikes, wonderful times 👋

From the mid 80s with my MGB and more recently MX5s a wave or flash of the headlamps was fairly common. At the weekend a fellow MG4 driver pulled alongside near Peterborough, slowed and smiled so I waved back.

You have to be careful when flashing headlights, or anything else for that matter, in case an unintended driver thinks you are flashing at them to come out of a junction or a pedestrian crosses in front of you. A wave or thumbs up is safer.

Perhaps the members of this forum could hold up four splayed fingers as a secret sign

1686302990831.png

I've only had one wave back so f
You have to be careful when flashing headlights, or anything else for that matter, in case an unintended driver thinks you are flashing at them to come out of a junction or a pedestrian crosses in front of you. A wave or thumbs up is safer.

Perhaps the members of this forum could hold up four splayed fingers as a secret sign

View attachment 18174
1686303885141.jpeg
😀

View attachment 18174

That's a nice idea!

I would say a wave or headlight flash is a must when you meet all fellow MG car drivers.
Takes me back to the ‘70’s when it was the same for those on motorbikes, wonderful times 👋

Oh, happy days. I got my first motorbike in late 1978 and did my ACU training and then passed my test in early 1979. It got so that my right hand came up from the handlebar on an automatic reflex. Then when I went to live in Hertfordshire in 1982 I was all surprised and sad when fellow-motorcyclists didn't wave, and didn't wave back.

So while out in my MG4 I have come across other MG4 owners coming the other way. I've had Land Rovers and Volkswagens in the past (still do), and I'm used to giving other drivers a cheery wave. I've found myself doing the same with other MG4 owners. I'm yet to get a response back from any of them. My daughter thinks I'm sad, but this is my first MG and my first EV, and I'm loving it! Why shouldn't I give a cheery wave, maybe I'll start a trend? :)
As a fellow previous Landie and Beetle driver, I share the dilemma. Meanwhile, we have a bigger issue. We live in a sparsely populated rural area, and at the moment, other locals don't yet recognise our new car, even though we've carried over our personal plate. So a few cheery waves have been met with stony immobility on the part of the wavee.

View attachment 18174

One must take care not to confuse other drivers if you accidentally do this. Unless they're Klingon, of course

download (1).jpeg

That's a nice idea!

Oh, happy days. I got my first motorbike in late 1978 and did my ACU training and then passed my test in early 1979. It got so that my right hand came up from the handlebar on an automatic reflex. Then when I went to live in Hertfordshire in 1982 I was all surprised and sad when fellow-motorcyclists didn't wave, and didn't wave back.

Up in the cheery North East of England, it's still commonplace to give a nod in the direction of other motorcyclists

View attachment 18174
Surely some unfeasibly young member of this forum can tell us if there is some youthful sign for "OMG", and we can leave out the "O" and add four fingers? :cool:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back