Today’s range test - Essex to Southampton.

Not home yet..charging at Tesco, so far my total mileage (Accumulated total) so far today is 224.9 with an overall average of 3.5 miles per KWh. See photo.
But my last leg (Current journey) before this stop was 46.4 miles with an average 4.0 miles per KWh, but I was warm and I turn the heating and fans off as they were not needed.
Not home yet another 40 miles to go when I’m happy I’ve got enough juice...

When you charge up, are the kWh figures you get from the chargers; the net amount of juice put into the battery or the gross amount of juice the charger has consumed.

I've only got a granny charger at moment, so can't look at the charging kWh figures yet.

Quick update, got a photo now of our cold tyre pressures (not touched them since picked the car up almost 2 weeks ago).
33.6 fronts, 32.4 rears.

Think I should put some air in to 35psi?
Think it's make much difference?
Try them and see how you get on it should be a minimum of 33 psi when cold as you say, but if they are 33psi today with 10 degrees, what were they at -3 degrees. Your rolling resistance would be much greater. Try 35 cold and see if you notice a difference.

When you charge up, are the kWh figures you get from the chargers; the net amount of juice put into the battery or the gross amount of juice the charger has consumed.

I've only got a granny charger at moment, so can't look at the charging kWh figures yet.
It’s taken from the app’s

I did charge today, but sorry I didn’t take the reading...should have done really however my Pod-Point app say it was..see below
Thanks Mark, very enlightening. I make that at average charge rate of 24kW which is pretty slow for a rapid providing you finished before reaching about 85%, but is inline with what I was seeing in these weather conditions before the most recent update. When I get a chance I'll try getting a charge without warming the battery greatly from a SoC of around 30% to see if I'm getting any quicker rates.

Thanks Mark, very enlightening. I make that at average charge rate of 24kW which is pretty slow for a rapid providing you finished before reaching about 85%, but is inline with what I was seeing in these weather conditions before the most recent update. When I get a chance I'll try getting a charge without warming the battery greatly from a SoC of around 30% to see if I'm getting any quicker rates.
I stopped at 80% as another driver was waiting.

Thanks for that Mark.

It looks like our car is not performing like yours :(

Wife left at 6:45 this morning about 6c, raining, didn't go mainly motorway route today.
Been left on granny charge since yesterday, MG badge not lit etc so fully charged.
Volts showed 448. Trips reset, E+Gen3, GOM 179miles.
When got to work:
52.2miles / 40mph / 1h18m / 3.0mpkWh = 17.4kWh used
403volts. GOM 93miles
Wife said she only put the heating on occasionally as was too scared!
Hmm, GOM remaining 93 @ 3.0mpkwh = 31kWh. Plus used 17.4kWh totals 48.4kWh LOL!!!!!!

I believe if the trips are reset, our GOMs should be using the same figures for calculations.
At full charge: Yours showed 200miles vs ours 179miles. You have 454volts vs ours 448volts.
Could those 7volts make the 21miles difference???
Supposedly the new BMS software has adjusted the max and min voltages to see the same range, so the BMS calculation should be consistent- right???

Your figures show 113.6miles at 3.2kWh = 35.5kWh used. With 25mile left at 3.2kWh = 7.8kWh. Gives you a total usable battery of 43.3kWh.

I don't know what to think anymore!!
Obviously driving style makes a difference. I did go out with my wife yesterday for a 30min lesson on how to drive economically, so I can but assume she was doing so today.

Any ideas / thoughts????
Thanks
It seems like your GOM readings are on the total different end of the scale then mine. It seems like I have worked my GOM reading down to be more realworld like then ever before in winter time. After the full charge Friday my GOM showed 186 kilometres. Then we had some aren runs the following days of about 25-30km. Today I had an around trip of 136 km. I started out with 155km on GOM. When I was back home I had still 36 kilometres on GOM. To me it is really nice to see GOM is starting to be realistic. If your wife Jody, is starting out with 179miles on GOM and she sees it drop like hell, no wonder she might be scared😬.
Btw. I drove in N mode with heat and fan variating between 2-3 blobs. Outside temperature -1.

I did charge today, but sorry I didn’t take the reading...should have done really however my Pod-Point app say it was..see below
Just of interest Mark, during my various recharges on Saturday, the BP Pulse points I was using struggled to pump in any more than about 10kw/h. Comparing it to your pic above, that's pretty low, isn't it? Can I put my poor rates down to the fact that the temperature was below 0? What is the fastest a rapid charger can realistically provide?

Just of interest Mark, during my various recharges on Saturday, the BP Pulse points I was using struggled to pump in any more than about 10kw/h. Comparing it to your pic above, that's pretty low, isn't it? Can I put my poor rates down to the fact that the temperature was below 0? What is the fastest a rapid charger can realistically provide?
You certainly can, the cold had a lot to answer for with all EV’s.

I've now collated a full set of data from today.
It isn't as bad and the same things are not occurring as they did last week - no idea why (especially the radio thing).

So here goes....

When came off charge this morning (full granny charge): 448volts. E+regen3 (no load & trips reset) GOM 179m.
Was about 8c all day, maybe a little bit colder at 7am.

Wife drove to work (E+regen3) and got:
52.2miles / 40mph / 3.0mpkWh / 403V / GOM 92m.

Wife on drive home (E+regen3):
@35miles GOM remaining:-
Popped up: “State of charge low Please charge”(yellow charge point symbol)
Yellow battery warning light comes on
When was home:
51.3miles / 45mph / 3.4mpkWh / 386V / GOM 26m.
Accumlated: 103.5miles / 41mph / 3.2 mpkWh
Calculation (103.5/3.2) indicates 32.34kWh used.

I then took it out to see what happened at really low charge.

@11miles remaining (369volts)
Was going 70mph & continued happily at that speed on cruise control:-
Popped up: “State of charge low Please charge”(red charge point symbol)
Yellow battery warning light changed to flashing
Battery capacity gauge 1 bar remaining now flashing

@9miles remaining (was showing 10m prior) GOM displays changes to ---

@8miles roughly remaining:-
Popped up a very brief red warning of something to do with not using aggressive driving!
I had just been doing some brief foot flat to floor and checking was getting high power output still. Had no problem doing 60mph.

@7miles roughly remaining, in a 30zone.
Stopped and then foot flat to floor, went up to 80% power and power gauge dropped reasonably quickly, had to lift of pretty soon when got to 30mph.

Parked @6miles roughly remaining:
Was showing 377volts.
The Warning display still just says “State of charge low Please charge”
Yellow battery warning light flashing
Battery capacity gauge 1 bar flashing

Final Accumulated trip: 118.0m / 39mph / 3.2mpkWh / 377volts
Calculation (118/3.2) indicates 36.88kWh used.

Plugged in granny charger.
6% SOC / - - - miles / 17:00
Switched on. Got a “State of charge low Please charge” with red charge point symbol.
Now showing: 379V & -5A

Unfortunately I don't have a way of seeing accurately how much power the car charger will consume (I did take a note on my smart meter, but other things will be using power in the house).

Based on the 6% SOC.
If 94% was 36.88kWh, then 100% capacity available is 39.23kWh.
So I've not got the supposed usable 42.5kWh of 44.5kWh available to me.
Also, I can't help but think, IF the power indicated includes what has been also regenerated, then that'd make the actual battery capacity figure even lower.

Not home yet..charging at Tesco, so far my total mileage (Accumulated total) so far today is 224.9 with an overall average of 3.5 miles per KWh. See photo.
But my last leg (Current journey) before this stop was 46.4 miles with an average 4.0 miles per KWh, but I was warm and I turn the heating and fans off as they were not needed.
Not home yet another 40 miles to go when I’m happy I’ve got enough juice...

Hopefully you made it home all ok, that's a long drive!

What was your final accumulated miles and mpkWh?
From that can work out your kWh used.

Do you know how much you charged it by at each point? Obviously you'll be charging it back to full tonight, so would need to know what this is too, in order to get a full kWh used figure...

I really want to run mine to empty - leave the heater on on the driveway to run it completely down, then charge it up with a charger that shows me the kWh the car has taken onboard.

It isn't as bad and the same things are not occurring as they did last week - no idea why (especially the radio thing).

So here goes....

When came off charge this morning (full granny charge): 448volts. E+regen3 (no load & trips reset) GOM 179m.

When was home:

Popped up a very brief red warning of something to do with not using aggressive driving!
I had just been doing some brief foot flat to floor and checking was getting high power output still. Had no problem doing 60mph.

Stopped and then foot flat to floor, went up to 80% power and power gauge dropped reasonably quickly, had to lift of pretty soon when got to 30mph.

Was showing 377volts.

Switched on. Got a “State of charge low Please charge” with red charge point symbol.

Unfortunately I don't have a way of seeing accurately how much power the car charger will consume (I did take a note on my smart meter, but other things will be using power in the house).

Based on the 6% SOC.
Also, I can't help but think, IF the power indicated includes what has been also regenerated, then that'd make the actual battery capacity figure even lower.
Just reading these warnings back is giving me the heebee-jeebies again...😱

So here goes....

When was home:

Was showing 377volts.

Based on the 6% SOC.
At 11miles 369V
At 6miles (estimated) 377V

Looks like a mistake there probably at 11miles maybe 379

At 11miles 369V
At 6miles (estimated) 377V

Looks like a mistake there probably at 11miles maybe 379
I just looked at the video I took whilst driving, @11m left it was indeed 369v.
That's very weird isn't it?!?

Just double checked video, at 8 miles (roughly) remaining, can just make out that at that point it says 377v.

I just looked at the video I took whilst driving, @11m left it was indeed 369v.
That's very weird isn't it?!?

Just double checked video, at 8 miles (roughly) remaining, can just make out that at that point it says 377v.
Weird indeed.... Maybe KERS3 regeneration effect... But remains dashed so not really 6 miles estimated.

Weird indeed.... Maybe KERS3 regeneration effect... But remains dashed so not really 6 miles estimated.
I haven't been looking that much on the voltage display when I am driving, but I think it is going up and down depending on how big a load you put on the Go pedal. It definitely go to higher voltage when you regen.

Hopefully you made it home all ok, that's a long drive!

What was your final accumulated miles and mpkWh?
From that can work out your kWh used.

Do you know how much you charged it by at each point? Obviously you'll be charging it back to full tonight, so would need to know what this is too, in order to get a full kWh used figure...

I really want to run mine to empty - leave the heater on on the driveway to run it completely down, then charge it up with a charger that shows me the kWh the car has taken onboard.
I made it home okay, but it’s hard to work out what I put in as I do tend to use free charge whenever possible and so my day was, home to Southampton 113 miles, quick top up at Lidl and then to Bracknell about 56 miles, to Maidenhead about 10 mile, to Watford about 40 miles, quick top up at Tesco and them 31 miles home. All in all about 250 miles covered with ease. My average when I arrived home was 3.6 miles per KWh, but in the afternoon I didn’t use the heating or fans as it was fairly warm, but then turned them on again for the final 31 miles. So it was a bit of a mixed bag.
The most important bit was the cost the trip cost me just over £3.00 for rapid charging at Lidl as the other charging was free...now you can’t do that in a ICE car.....

I worked out the estimated miles left after 10 miles to go when it changed to - - -.
I knew the overall miles when it was 10miles on GOM.
The overall miles had gone up by 4miles, hence the - - - GOM would be a hidden 6miles.

I made it home okay, but it’s hard to work out what I put in as I do tend to use free charge whenever possible and so my day was, home to Southampton 113 miles, quick top up at Lidl and then to Bracknell about 56 miles, to Maidenhead about 10 mile, to Watford about 40 miles, quick top up at Tesco and them 31 miles home. All in all about 250 miles covered with ease. My average when I arrived home was 3.6 miles per KWh, but in the afternoon I didn’t use the heating or fans as it was fairly warm, but then turned them on again for the final 31 miles. So it was a bit of a mixed bag.
The most important bit was the cost the trip cost me just over £3.00 for rapid charging at Lidl as the other charging was free...now you can’t do that in a ICE car.....
bargain :)

I have found that you do have to change your driving style, not by much just looking ahead a bit more lifting the accelerator a little then the amount of acceleration you apply. Allowing the car to gain speed with out using its lovely grunt too much. (Unless you want to have some fun)

I have also notice the heater seems to perform better in normal mode then in ECO mode and if in ECO mode the higher then fan speed the cooler it blows, my just be me.

But over all I'm more then happy with my car and how it drives and performs even to say me and the wife was saying the other night by the time we are ready to change I would like to think this model would have been upgraded long battery life I would certainly look at an other one.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom