Touch screen achieves a new low.

DYWLC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
When starting from being parked in a lay-by and wanting to turn off Lane Keep Assist I was unable to get out of SAFETY - POWER OFF - CONFIRM screen. Another reason to get rid of the awfully under developed car. In my opinion it's a real crock of s**t. My wife video's herself trying to exit the power off screen for about two minutes while I was driving but I don't know how to load a video up on here.

Try a soft reset.
No joy?
Factory reset.
No joy?
Battery disconnect.
No joy?
Get the latest update installed by your dealer.

Battery Disconnect Instructions.

Make sure your steering wheel is dead ahead before you disconnect.

When you re connect ALL the warnings for every system will go off.
Don't panic.

It will ask you to initialise all the windows.

One at a time, open the windows.
Go down in one go.
Then put it back up.
It will stop 3 or 4 times.
Don't worry, just keep going til it is closed.

Turn the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right.

When you come back to center, all your warning lights will go off.
Job done.

You will have to redo all your favourite settings and wifi, virtual sub woofer etc.

Ideally disconnect for 30 minutes

When starting from being parked in a lay-by and wanting to turn off Lane Keep Assist I was unable to get out of SAFETY - POWER OFF - CONFIRM screen. Another reason to get rid of the awfully under developed car. In my opinion it's a real crock of s**t. My wife video's herself trying to exit the power off screen for about two minutes while I was driving but I don't know how to load a video up on here.

This might sound daft but on the screen there isn’t a protective piece of clear plastic on it still?

I only ask as I remember watching a video review & the journalist joked saying he thought the screen was not working properly then realised the dealer hadn’t taken the protective covering off. I believe they all have them on when new. Once he took it off it was ok

A video here on how to reset it which can solve a lot of niggles

Good luck

I'm afraid I cannot fully visualise your event. I will assume you parked in a layby and used the power-off option to shutdown the car. You left the screen showing the safety (power off) tab window. You then decided to leave the layby and pressed the brake pedal to power up the car but the info display still showed the safety tab window and could not be changed. At this point the info screen might have reset if you pressed the home button for 10? seconds. If that failed then getting out of the car and locking/unlocking would reset the software.

Did you try those options?

EDIT: I have used the power off function a few times when I have been waiting for someone whilst listening to the radio. However I found the radio goes off after 10 mins so now I leave the car powered up as it does not use much battery power.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I cannot fully visualise your event. I will assume you parked in a layby and used the power-off option to shutdown the car. You left the screen showing the safety (power off) tab window. You then decided to leave the layby and pressed the brake pedal to power up the car but the info display still showed the safety tab window and could not be changed. At this point the info screen might have reset if you pressed the home button for 10? seconds. If that failed then getting out of the car and locking/unlocking would reset the software.

Did you try those options?

EDIT: I have used the power off function a few times when I have been waiting for someone whilst listening to the radio. However I found the radio goes off after 10 mins so now I leave the car powered up as it does not use much battery power.
But how can you turn off all the lights completely whilst sitting in the car with the infotainment display still working ie watch a video
I tried the light stalk but side light stayed on

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel