TPMS and cr@p valve access

teejayuu

Standard Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello,

Driving home last night I had a low tyre pressure warning light come on (was at 2.2 bar (32psi)). Got home and left the car for an hour to cool before refilling the tyres (37psi), however the tyre still reported 2.2 bar in both the instrument panel and the app. Powered off and on again and still not chaging. Have come to work this morning at the tyre is still showing as being at 2.2 bar.

I have come from having had a Honda Civic wherw, after refilling the tyres you had to 'reset' the TPMS to let it know they were full again. Is there a need to do this with the MG 4?

Also access to the valves is ridiculous particularly on this one. Air was leaking out of the pipe where it was screwed onto the valve, and, although the compressor stopped at 37psi, I don't believe 5 psi leaked while unscrewing the compressor!

As I understand it the TP sensor should update once the wheel has started to move, I e the rolling action causes it to send data and then prob sporadically otherwise the battery would drain very rapidly.

Hello,

Driving home last night I had a low tyre pressure warning light come on (was at 2.2 bar (32psi)). Got home and left the car for an hour to cool before refilling the tyres (37psi), however the tyre still reported 2.2 bar in both the instrument panel and the app. Powered off and on again and still not chaging. Have come to work this morning at the tyre is still showing as being at 2.2 bar.

I have come from having had a Honda Civic wherw, after refilling the tyres you had to 'reset' the TPMS to let it know they were full again. Is there a need to do this with the MG 4?

Also access to the valves is ridiculous particularly on this one. Air was leaking out of the pipe where it was screwed onto the valve, and, although the compressor stopped at 37psi, I don't believe 5 psi leaked while unscrewing the compressor!
Just pull off the wheel cover to get better access to the valve.

When i changed my alloys over the old values from the previous valves were still stored by the vehicle. It took a 5 mile drive before it realised and updated the new values/ pressures.
My tyre compressor went faulty inflating the last tyre i changed over so i was aware that tyre would be down by about 8 PSI which was detected but only after the 5 mile run .

Hello,

Not sure if this car is the same but I used to have to drive the car for about 3/4 mile after inflation of a low tyre and the monitor would then reset

My previous car needed a complicated routine that required very long arms (you had to have the key actively turned in the ignition and reach into the glove compartment at the same time) to reset the TPW, and I always got the garage to do it.

It was a simple-minded system that seemed to work on comparing the rotation of the wheels and couldn't tell you which wheel it was. It was a £25 optional extra on a £22,000 car! It was prone to false alarms, especially when the weather got warmer, and I often had to get the garage to check the pressures then reset it. After a while I would get them to reset it, and only get the pressures tested if it went off a second time. It was also guaranteed to go off about 3-4 miles into the first journey after I'd had my tyres changed.

It did work properly and tell me about slow punctures several times though, so probably worth it on the whole.

Except one day I came out of the restaurant where I'd been having lunch and looked at the off fore tyre and thought, that looks a bit soft. I dismissed the thought because the TPA hadn't gone off. I went on dismissing the thought when I realised the car wasn't right, and started imagining a suspension strut had gone. When I finally stopped I was running on a completely flat tyre, which was wrecked. (The alloy was OK though.) A Good Samaritan changed the wheel for me, and five miles later the TPW went off!

Last edited:
As I understand it the TP sensor should update once the wheel has started to move, I e the rolling action causes it to send data and then prob sporadically otherwise the battery would drain very rapidly.

Not sure if this car is the same but I used to have to drive the car for about 3/4 mile after inflation of a low tyre and the monitor would then reset
When i changed my alloys over the old values from the previous valves were still stored by the vehicle. It took a 5 mile drive before it realised and updated the new values/ pressures.
My tyre compressor went faulty inflating the last tyre i changed over so i was aware that tyre would be down by about 8 PSI which was detected but only after the 5 mile run .

Refilled the tyres last night and drove it to work this morning - 8.3 miles!

Got home last night and they were down to 1.8 bar. Took off the wheel trim and filled to 2.5 bar and double checked with a pressure gauge. Came out this morning and back down to 1.8 bar. Ordered new tyres.

Ordered some of these to fit on the air pump nozzle: they work better than trying to screw the nozzle in.

Amazon product ASIN B09TW4V7PZ

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel