TPMS fault when switching back to summer tyres.

yappu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello

When i changed to the winter tyres i bought from MG, i had to go to the dealer to get the TPMS programmed because i was getting a tpms fault.
Today i changed back to the original summer tyres and i am getting a TPMS fault again.
Does anyone know if i would get the error if the tyres are put on different corners than they came off? or would the read outs simply not match the location on the display?
I have a suspicion that my local tyre guy did not mark the tyres when he took them off the first time, since they were not marked when he got them out of storage, and he said something about more dirt on the inside of the rear wheels, which is where the suspicion comes from, as it seemed like he guessed location.
If they still give readouts but wrong positions, i can assume they need recoding, but if they simply give a fault, i have some testing to do!

Yes. That happened to me. I wasn't getting a fault as such. but they'd both inflated the right-hand tyres to quite different pressures, and switched them front to back. I went back and made them switch them to the right corners again.

You have to drive a couple of miles for the TPS to work and update the pressures and If they had been just put back on the wrong corners then the TPS would still work but not be showing on the correct corner.

I take it they just changed the tyres over and not replaced the valve stems?

Have you got two sets of TPMS sensors (two sets of wheels) or did you just change the tyres ?

I have 2 sets summer and winter . I marked mine up as i removed them from the car. I havent put summers back on yet but when i put the original wheels on after the summer last year all worked well having marked them up.
I programmed mine myself with the Autel scanner cloning each wheel like for like position so yes they have to to go back on the right corners to work properly. Tyres read correctly after about half mile of driving.

You have to drive a couple of miles for the TPS to work and update the pressures and If they had been just put back on the wrong corners then the TPS would still work but not be showing on the correct corner.

I take it they just changed the tyres over and not replaced the valve stems?
I have 2 sets of tyres bought with the vehicle, the error pops up after driven 6-7 miles, i have contacted the dealership who informed me that i needed an update for the car to support 2 sets of tyres, which they will do with my first service on the 22 of may.

Have you got two sets of TPMS sensors (two sets of wheels) or did you just change the tyres ?
two sets. i got the winter tyres coded when i change to them in November, now i am back on the original tyres. The dealership has informed me that i need an update for the car to support 2 sets of tyres, and they agreed to code the original tyres free of charge.

I have 2 sets summer and winter . I marked mine up as i removed them from the car. I havent put summers back on yet but when i put the original wheels on after the summer last year all worked well having marked them up.
I programmed mine myself with the Autel scanner cloning each wheel like for like position so yes they have to to go back on the right corners to work properly. Tyres read correctly after about half mile of driving.
What autel scanner are you using? i read about it, and might invest in one

two sets. i got the winter tyres coded when i change to them in November, now i am back on the original tyres. The dealership has informed me that i need an update for the car to support 2 sets of tyres, and they agreed to code the original tyres free of charge.
They should code all 8 sensors at the same time or you'l have the same problem when you come to change them over next time.

They should code all 8 sensors at the same time or you'l have the same problem when you come to change them over next time.
i would think it keeps the winter tyres after update, and simply add the summer tyres to the software update no?

Autel TS508. I borrowed it from the company i bought the alloy wheels from. Great bit of kit though.
googled it, and first thing that popped up was a tyre shop close to work, which have it on sale 60% off, needless to say i have bought one, and will pick it up after work tomorrow!
Any tips for using it i should know?

i would think it keeps the winter tyres after update, and simply add the summer tyres to the software update no?

googled it, and first thing that popped up was a tyre shop close to work, which have it on sale 60% off, needless to say i have bought one, and will pick it up after work tomorrow!
Any tips for using it i should know?
Mg4 wasnt listed when i used it last year but could have been uodated now. I used MGZS setting and it worked fine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back