TPMS on new alloy wheels

Hi
I have just fitted 18” alloys to my pre face lift Mg5
I am waiting for my original mg tpms to be fitted to my new wheels by my local tyre fitter
I get an alert on the dash telling me there is a fault on the tpms when I start up I just press the ok button on the right of the steering wheel then all is good
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
View attachment 21124
So Audi/Skoda/VW alloys fit MG4/MG5 ? I suspected they did, IF anyone can confirm it means I can get 19” VW alloys for my X Power 😎

Well, on many modern vehicles the TMPS system is self-learning. If you install compatible sensors, and drive ~~20 km at >20 km/h, the brains will accept the new ID's, and assign their positions according to radio signal power, and wheel rotation.

Are you saying that MG designers are such alternative-minded genius that do not know of modern systems?
It is about money. To be self learning there are a few ways they can do it. 1) by not having a location read out of the tyres - eventually after many transmissions they learn I’m getting signal from sensors x y and z. Problem is they don’t know where x y and z are located on the car so the system will just have a warning light. 2) they install extra equipment in each wheel well (well 3 of them) these transmit a challenge to the sensors and the sensor responds - it then knows what sensor is responding vs which one it asked for ergo it can learn - interestingly it only needs to know 3 and can use a process of elimination for the last one.

If they hard code each sensor into the cars ecu they don’t need to have the extra transducers and wiring in the car whilst achieving the same result of pressure read outs for each tire.

There are multiple ways they can make the car learn - some Vauxhalls for example don’t have the extra wiring and there is a menu in the car to learn BUT you must manually trigger each sensor in a specific order whilst in learning mode hence you still really need an external tool.

I think it's very simple. The MG engineers don't design such an "insignificant" system by themselves, they certainly take some "off-the-shelf" TPMS solution. And all such systems nowadays have "Self-learning" mode embedded. It's not that complex for modern MCUs.

Anyway, here is the quote from official "General workshop procedures_MG4.pdf" :
Tyre Sensor Learning
Function Description
This function is used to perform the tyre sensor
learning after replacement of a tyre sensor or
change of its mounting position, and write the ID
information of the tyre sensors in fixed position
into the ECU.

Operation Conditions
When a learning is performed for the new
tyre sensor, drive the vehicle at a speed greater
than 40 km/h for more than 10 minutes consecutively
before learning or noting the ID value on the new
tyre sensor.
When continuous learnings need to be
performed for several tyre sensors, the interval
between two learnings shall not be less than 2
minutes.
1. P is Selected.
2. Ensure that high power on the whole vehicle
and the instrument "READY" is not lit.
3. Do not let vehicle power off through the
screen.

Result Verification
• Read the tyre sensor ID value, which shall be
valid and match the actual ID value of the tyre
sensor

As you can see, no any special equipment required.

Last edited:
I think it's very simple. The MG engineers don't design such an "insignificant" system by themselves, they certainly take some "off-the-shelf" TPMS solution. And all such systems nowadays have "Self-learning" mode embedded. It's not that complex for modern MCUs.

Anyway, here is the quote from official "General workshop procedures_MG4.pdf" :

As you can see, no any special equipment required.
Sorry but I don't understand, does MG 4 self learn or not? My new sensor are coded for MG brand, but for now the error message is still popping up. So what to do? What is the learning procedure?

I don't think it does. I took mine back to the garage that changed my tyres and insisted they switch back the ones they'd inadvertently switched.

The BMW/Mini system has a sensor in each wheel arch as well as the sensor in the tyre/wheel. That way you can get away with lower signal strength less battery use and the two sensors pair up every time the car starts, so the car always knows where each wheel is located on the car even if they have been moved around.

Wonder if MG have a single receiving sensor so not as smart as other systems

Wonder if MG have a single receiving sensor so not as smart as other systems

Many TPMS systems have a single receiver in one of wheel arcs. And, they are auto-learning.

The MG4 manual clearly reads :

1709072680470.png

Ok, I succeeded.

The MG 4 does not have Automatic Relearn or Stationary Relearn. Sensor relearning can only be done via OBD (That's what Autel says).

So I bought an Autel TS501 from Amazon, because I want to be independent from the tire dealer, it's not that expensive. However, a tire dealer should guarantee this work.
On the TS501 there is the EU model MG MG4 09/2022-06/2023 433MHz which then allows you to communicate with the car's OBD and update the codes in ECU, but in my case I would like to clone the original sensor IDs.
I scanned every original sensor from the wheels in the correct position (FL,FR,RL,RR), and simply copy the code in the new sensors. The sensor to be programmed can be mounted or unmounted in the alloy, the programmer can easily write it anyway.

The sensor ID is a simple hexadecimal code and can be generated from scratch. The important thing is that the code corresponds to what is saved on the ECU.

Please note: The TS501 can program compatible universal sensors or MX-Sensors.Other brands can write their own sensors, but read every sensor

Last edited:
Ok, I succeeded.

The MG 4 does not have Automatic Relearn or Stationary Relearn. Sensor relearning can only be done via OBD (That's what Autel says).

So I bought an Autel TS501 from Amazon, because I want to be independent from the tire dealer, it's not that expensive. However, a tire dealer should guarantee this work.
On the TS501 there is the EU model MG MG4 09/2022-06/2023 433MHz which then allows you to communicate with the car's OBD and update the codes in ECU, but in my case I would like to clone the original sensor IDs.
I scanned every original sensor from the wheels in the correct position (FL,FR,RL,RR), and simply copy the code in the new sensors. The sensor to be programmed can be mounted or unmounted in the alloy, the programmer can easily write it anyway.

The sensor ID is a simple hexadecimal code and can be generated from scratch. The important thing is that the code corresponds to what is saved on the ECU.

Please note: The TS501 can program compatible universal sensors or MX-Sensors.Other brands can write their own sensors, but read every sensor

Thanks for the update. Could you/anyone post a link to a set of compatable TPMS sensors please for the MG4 ? as I plan on giving this a go come Spring.

Thanks for the update. Could you/anyone post a link to a set of compatable TPMS sensors please for the MG4 ? as I plan on giving this a go come Spring.
No problem. Every TPMS sensor working at 433MHz is compatible with MG 4, so it doesn't matter the brand. What matters is the programmer and every tyre shop has its own programmer.

If you're planning to do the programming work by yourself i suggest Autel programmer with MX-Sensors:

Otherwise if the tyre dealer do the job, they will put their sensor and clone from original.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. Every TPMS sensor working at 433MHz is compatible with MG 4, so it doesn't matter the brand. What's matter is the programmer and every tyre shop has it's own programmer.

If you're planning to do the programming work by yourself i suggest Autel programmer with MX-Sensors:

Otherwise if the tyre dealer do the job, they will put their sensor and clone from original.
Not wanting to pick but that isn’t quite true. Wouldn’t want anyone getting confused.

There are direct fit sensors which are brand/vehicle specific and won’t match up to the car despite being 433MHz - certain parameters like the transmission interval, alert parameters, even serial numbers might not be in the right format for the car. Heck many moons ago a direct fit sensor specifically for a vehicle of mine refused to function correctly and alerted just at the beginning of every drive - no idea why. These are the non-programmable type sensors. The beauty of the Autel is that the sensor can be programmed to mimic whichever brand of sensor is required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel