Trophy always charging to 100% despite setting it to 80% 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cloggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I am unsure why, but my car is always charging to 100%, even though I set it to 80%.

It has only been doing it for a few weeks, but I don’t understand why, as no updates have been carried out or anything like that…

Does anyone else have a similar issue? 🤔

Have you got it set to 80% on the app or in the car?
Have you checked any other threads using the search bar?

Let's just check something here. Do you have the SE SR, with the LFP battery? Because these cars always charge to 100% because that's how they like to be operated. The settings in the software to stop it sooner are there for the LR, but the SR just ignores them.

Forgive me if this is a red herring, but I just thought it was worth asking.

Mine reverted back to 100% after my first 80% charge, not sure why, but since I set it back to 80% it's stayed there.
Could it be because it was set to 100% in the app and the app changed the car setting ?

Mine changes from 80% to 100% all the time which is a massive pita.

A tip (though it makes no difference for me)! Always wait till you get the “success” message beneath the battery icon before closing iSmart. This can take a few seconds.

Mine changes from 80% to 100% all the time which is a massive pita.

A tip (though it makes no difference for me)! Always wait till you get the “success” message beneath the battery icon before closing iSmart. This can take a few seconds.
Agree important to wait for the “success” message. The display does not show you are waiting for confirmation so easy to miss.

With my soon to be collected Trophy, I found that resetting the infotainment would always revert charge limit from 80% to 100%, took me a while to figure that out!

I never set the percentage in car, always via the app but sometimes it just ignores the 80% set and charges to 100%. It does this on average 1 in 5 charges, that I find the setting has changed automatically from battery health to long trip mode. I am not sure if this is a feature or just some bug.

I am unsure why, but my car is always charging to 100%, even though I set it to 80%.

It has only been doing it for a few weeks, but I don’t understand why, as no updates have been carried out or anything like that…

Does anyone else have a similar issue? 🤔
My app does that too, occasionally it sets to 100% on its own, I always check my app to make sure it still set at 80% after I plugged it in.

Yes, I've speculated that on some sort of schedule it unilaterally sets itself to 100% because it's time for a balancing charge.

Or it's a software glitch. One of those...

I thought there was a glitch when despite setting the app to go to 80% the car went to 100% first time I charged it. Then I discovered that the SR battery is supposed to be taken to 100% every time, and MG had removed the ability to set a lower charge in the app. So they might have programmed in something to get the LR batteries to 100% once in a while.

Mine does what it feels like too. Last night I intentionally went into the app after plugging it in. Set it back to 80%, got the success message. Wake up this morning, car is as 82% (it’s charged via Ohme charger at off peak times).

At this point I’ve just given up. If I can be bothered I’ll tell my charger to only add X% instead of relying on the car to cut off at 80%

I check that it's set to 80% before plugging it in. My theory is once it has been plugged in it has started the charging programme and will ignore any other changes to it.

I check that it's set to 80% before plugging it in. My theory is once it has been plugged in it has started the charging programme and will ignore any other changes to it.
Me too. I haven't tried changing it after plugging in, so I don't know what difference that makes. I always change the charge limit in the app and always get the success message.

The car should always be able to terminate the charge when it wants to, so does sound like a bug, possibly covered by one of the many BMS / Charger updates.

I've not had any charging limit problems with my granny charger. I set the limit on the app, often after connecting. Can you try using a granny charger with the limit set at the first point above the current battery level and then regularly monitor if it breaks the limit?

I also get random charging schedule errors: Charges to 100%, not 80%; starts at the wrong time (outside my cheap hours!); or simpy decides not to charge at all - like last night. I assume it's just buggy software!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back