Trophy owners with two tone roof. Did your roof come wrapped or was it painted?

Lee Morris

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I was under the impression that they were painted black with a two tone paint. When I went to test drive the car I drove a grey model but the orange trophy model in the show did seem to be paint.

I have queried the roof due to questionnaire I was sent have since found out our car would be wrapped. Someone from the dealership has sent me the pictures as proof that is wrapped, rather than painted. Can you confirm what your roof is please.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-20230728-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230728-WA0000.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG-20230728-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230728-WA0001.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 230
TBH those photos look more painted than wrapped to me. 🤷‍♂️
In the second picture, if you zoom in it does look like the wrap has degraded a bit, rather than the paint not covering that section. Or does it. I don't know either as I've just spoken to the dealer and he is 100% adamant all Trophies have the wrapped roof. When I told him I was going to have a look at the car at other dealers he seemed pretty confident we'd still be picking up Monday.

He assured me all the trophies have the wrapped roofs

I'm going to have to see some in person. MG Wakefield said they have 3 in stock and they are all painted roofs. It's a 90 train ride on a strike day but I have to go and see them for myself

Its just a masking line from painting. They are painted roofs.
I also have another car that is fully wrapped, you can tell the difference up close. the edges of a wrap would not be left like that.

I'm pretty confident if MG wrapped the roofs, someone would have an issue with it somewhere.

Someone else on here has chipped there's on the front edge and its clearly paint.

I'm going to have to see some in person. MG Wakefield said they have 3 in stock and they are all painted roofs. It's a 90 train ride on a strike day but I have to go and see them for myself
Iit’s Cars2 in Wakefield be careful I bought mine for cars2 in Barnsley and they were the worst dealer I have ever been to. The company is a ripoff shop, they had my deposit then didn’t care. Lie, cheat and mislead to get the sale.

Last edited:
It’s it’s Cars2 in Wakefield be careful I bought mine for cars2 in Barnsley and they were the dealer I have have been too. The while company is a ripoff shop, was they had my deposit the didn’t care
Agreed, Cars2 is a dealer to avoid at all costs

Mine is paint. But not actually black.

On a close inspection it has a blue metallic fleck to it. This is also the same on the mirrors and the black plastics around the spoilers. It's more noticeable in bright sunlight.
I have the blue Trophy.

I posted here previously if other Trophy owners noticed the same on their colour of car.

Right, I will avoid Cars2go. In all of this I don't think I had factored in the scenario that my dealership is wrong about it being a wrap.
So is the consensus among the board that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

Mine is paint. But not actually black.

On a close inspection it has a blue metallic fleck to it. This is also the same on the mirrors and the black plastics around the spoilers. It's more noticeable in bright sunlight.
I have the blue Trophy.

I posted here previously if other Trophy owners noticed the same on their colour of car.
Interesting,...mine is red, but the roof, mirrors and other plastics all appear jet black with no metallic flecks.

So is the consensus among the board that he doesn't know what he is talking about?
Might be a wrap, but in my case it would have to be on the mirror and spoiler plastics too, which I can't see any manufacturer do. (happy to stand corrected though).
When we get a bit of sunshine I'll see if I can take a picture of the blue sparkle

Mine is definitely wrapped. Dark black gloss no sparkle that others are reporting.
My car was registered in September last year so a very early one.
I was under the impression it was painted with the height difference between the orange car and the black roof being where it had been masked.
But under the boot lid I can peel the corner of the black wrap up.

The black central bit in the doors between the front and back door is also wrapped

It's possible that the number of orders for the Trophy caught MG out and they had to wrap some of the already prepared bodyshells to meet demand.

I've just double checked with a bright torch and mine has the blue sparkle but it's hard to see.

We are off to Wakefield to check the cars. I wasn't going to bother but I know I'll be stressing on Monday when I have nothing to compare our car against. Plus I found out yesterday that Wishbone Brewery is located in Keighley and the taproom is open today, so good excuse to pop in and check them out.

We are off to Wakefield to check the cars. I wasn't going to bother but I know I'll be stressing on Monday when I have nothing to compare our car against. Plus I found out yesterday that Wishbone Brewery is located in Keighley and the taproom is open today, so good excuse to pop in and check them out.
Is it important to you whether it's painted or wrapped as long as it stays on, is it worth stressing out over ?
I was just wondering as it doesn't really bother me either way.

Is it important to you whether it's painted or wrapped as long as it stays on, is it worth stressing out over ?
I was just wondering as it doesn't really bother me either way.
I'm just the type of person that has to know cause I know I will be stressing about it afterwards, so it's just a way for me to manage potential future OCD.

So I've been to the Wakefield MG dealership and managed to look at an orange trophy and the blue trophy. The orange is jet black and the blue has the speckles in. The dealership were adamant they were painted but looking at them in detail I think they are actually wrapped, as you can see small areas on the edge of the black where you can see the white of the underneath of the wrap.

As you all know though the edges are all hidden from sight and I can't imagine will cause any issues in the years to come

Wakefield is actually a really lovely little town. Had a potter round before we got the train home

I'm just the type of person that has to know cause I know I will be stressing about it afterwards, so it's just a way for me to manage potential future OCD.

So I've been to the Wakefield MG dealership and managed to look at an orange trophy and the blue trophy. The orange is jet black and the blue has the speckles in. The dealership were adamant they were painted but looking at them in detail I think they are actually wrapped, as you can see small areas on the edge of the black where you can see the white of the underneath of the wrap.

As you all know though the edges are all hidden from sight and I can't imagine will cause any issues in the years to come

Wakefield is actually a really lovely little town. Had a potter round before we got the train home
So is it just a case of ’knowing’ Lee? Or is it a deal breaker, should it be a wrap?

What did you decide to do in the end ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel