Trophy Sound System

Mrf04

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hey all,

What’s everyone’s opinion on the sound system in the Trophy?

There doesn’t seem to be much mention of sound quality on any online reviews and very little on YouTube, so what’re your thoughts? My Trophy should be arriving in the next couple of weeks so I’d like to get an idea of how it’ll stack up to my current Leon PHEV. The system in the Leon isn’t anything too special but it’d be nice to know whether it’s similar etc.

Thanks.

It's definitely better than my excite mg5 I came from which was pretty poor tbh, I've had a week of driving an old Merc c class in-between which was awful bar the standard sound system so it's definitely quite a downgrade when I picked up the trophy (although 1000x better in every other way!)

All in it's not terrible but definitely nothing special & pleased I didn't go with the se based on this alone, I'm going to have a play around with the eq settings, it's really only lacking a bit of bass imo, I do like my music so may have a look at upgrading or adding an underseat sub at some point once someone is brave enough to take the HU out and see what we've got to play with.

You need to play with the EQ settings and make sure the virtual sub is on, then I think the sound is on par with the Harmon Kardon in my old Ioniq.
100% agree with this. With the virtual sub off I think it sounds poor. With it on, sounds great. Not overly bassy. I give it +2 on the high frequencies in the eq because I’m getting old and plus one on the lows and it sounds awesome to me, really well balanced to my ears.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I wasn’t expecting it to match the Harmon Kardon system I had in a Mini a year or so ago, but it’s nice to hear that it’s pretty decent nonetheless and thank you for the virtual sub & EQ tips!

I think the sound quality also varies depending on the source you are using. I find Bluetooth is poor, the sound is tinny and the volume needs to be turned up high. Streaming Amazon Music from the car's inbuilt SIM sounds fantastic though, as does streaming from Spotify via your mobile using Android Auto.

I think the sound quality also varies depending on the source you are using. I find Bluetooth is poor, the sound is tinny and the volume needs to be turned up high. Streaming Amazon Music from the car's inbuilt SIM sounds fantastic though, as does streaming from Spotify via your mobile using Android Auto.
Glad to hear it, I use Amazon Music

Bluetooth music is limited quality due to the protocol. This has been an issue on Teslas too.

We originally test drove an SE and the sound was poor so wasn't expecting much. Happy to say we picked up our Trophy today and I was pleasantly surprised, it isn't a premium sound but much better than some standard systems.

Can you listen to Amazon Music with an existing Prime account or do you need to upgrade to Amazon Music Unlimited? I ask because I have entered my Amazon account details and logged in OK, but every time I try to play anything it asks me if I want to start the Unlimited 30 day trial, if I say "No Thanks" nothing happens, if I press Play again it asks me to sign up for the trial again in an endless loop.

I have not had any trouble with my Amazon account and I do not have Amazon music?

I don't know re. the Trophy's implementation ... what I do know is that a Prime account can listen to Music but the features are limited vs Music Unlimited.

I don't know re. the Trophy's implementation ... what I do know is that a Prime account can listen to Music but the features are limited vs Music Unlimited.
I can't actually listen to anything from Amazon Music in the car as it constantly asks for me to do the Unlimited free 30 day trial. I have tried to play the same tracks on my phone and that is fine, they still nag me to do the trial, but if I say no the music plays and the nag screen goes away, but on the car nothing will actually play.

Mine is an MG4 Trophy by the way.

So the Trophy model has six speakers, but no "real" subwoofer? Sorry for the stupid question, but I've read that the Trophy has a smaller boot and this makes no sense then.

So the Trophy model has six speakers, but no "real" subwoofer? Sorry for the stupid question, but I've read that the Trophy has a smaller boot and this makes no sense then.
The trophy has speakers in the rear passenger doors. It also has a dual height boot floor which is why it appears to have a smaller boot.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back